Outlook.com gains 60 million users in six months, exits preview

By on February 19, 2013, 1:30 PM

Last July Microsoft released a preview of Outlook.com, the company’s new web-based e-mail service designed to compete directly with Gmail. In the six months that have followed, 60 million people have signed up for Outlook.com according to a new post on the official Outlook Blog.

Microsoft said they were humbled by the fast pace of adoption and have received lots of feedback and made many improvements during that time. Redmond also used the blog post to announce the service is coming out of preview and is available for anyone to try.

Microsoft is launching a massive three-month marketing campaign to help spread the word. The company believes it will be the biggest e-mail marketing blitz ever as they will run spots on primetime television, radio stations, websites, billboards and even buses. When it’s all said and done, Microsoft could spend upwards of $90 million on the Outlook campaign.

The new ads will run alongside Microsoft’s current “Scroogled” campaign against Gmail. Redmond is using that campaign to highlight the fact that Google scans users’ e-mails to find relevant advertisements to place alongside messages.

Dharmesh Mehta, Outlook.com’s senior director, said the Gmail Scroogled ads are designed to be educational while the Outlook campaign will be motivational.

roxxas2 said:

I'm not surprised. Microsoft got this service right. I use it almost everyday.

treeski treeski said:

I'm not surprised. Microsoft got this service right. I use it almost everyday.

Just waiting on the darned calendar...

Lionvibez said:

I have a question about this.

"Furthermore, all Hotmail e-mail users and those under different domains like MSN.com will be automatically converted to Outlook.com in the coming months. More than 250 million users will be moved to the new service by the end of the summer, we are told."

So if I used my hotmail account to sign up for a couple forums what happends if they have to verify the account and try to send an email to it now that the account will be @outlook.com????

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Hmmm... JUST upgraded (went to Outlook.com) and I like it so far......

treeski treeski said:

I have a question about this.

I'd be surprised if they actually change the @domain. If they do, I'm sure they will set up some kind of forwarding system.

spectrenad said:

I have a question about this.

I'm moved to Outlook.com few months ago and I was able to keep my hotmail address.

Teko03 said:

I have a question about this.

Upgrading to "Outlook" gives you the new interface and features, you'll continue to use your @hotmail.com or @live.com e-mail address. New users receive an @outlook.com e-mail.

JC713 JC713 said:

I really like this email client. I have had a hotmail for 10 years or so, this is a great refreshing update. I still prefer Gmail since it doesn't get junk mail as often as my Hotmail does. I wonder if our emails are now: @outlook.com. Hmm.

Lionvibez said:

Thanks for the follow up guys.

avoidz avoidz said:

It's got that same blank white look that seems popular now (not with me). It also runs like crap on single core processors, in my experience. Not much of an upgrade for those users.