Windows 8 adoption at 2.79%, not growing as fast as Windows 7

By on March 1, 2013, 9:32 AM

Windows 8 continued its slow but steady growth in February grabbing 2.26 percent of the operating system market share, up from 1.72 percent in December and 1.09 percent in November according to Net Applications. During the month Windows 7 also gained 0.07 percentage points after losing 0.63 percentage points in January, and it’s still the most used platform by a comfortable margin with 44.55 percent of the market.

The venerable Windows XP is second with 38.99 percent, down from 39.51 percent, while Vista continued to shed users with a 5.24 percent share. That put Windows 8 in fourth place among all operating system versions, just ahead of Mac OS X 10.8, which gained 0.17 points to 2.61 percent market share.

So how has Windows 8 fared compared to Windows 7 during its initial launch months? To put it into perspective, both versions of Windows were officially released in October of their respective years, but by the end of February 2010 Windows 7 had already seized more than 9 percent of the traffic seen by Net Applications.

There are a few considerations to take into account, such as the fact that Windows 7 superseded and improved upon an operating system release that was generally seen as a commercial failure, whereas Windows 8 marks a significant paradigm shift for Microsoft that’s bound to encounter some resistance from long time Windows users despite offering heavily discounted upgrades -- which are no longer available, by the way.

Slowing PC sales might also be playing a part in Windows 8’s sluggish adoption.

Overall market share numbers for each operating system in aggregate haven’t changed much: Windows still dominates with a whopping 91.62 percent, down 0.09 points from 91.71 percent, followed by OS X which gained just as much to grab 7.17 percent and Linux holding steady at 1.21 percent.

8 people like this | spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

If growth is on their Menu, I know where to Start!

BMfan BMfan said:

I bought one of those cheap upgrade options.Tried 8 for about 2 weeks and then went back to 7.

I'm in no rush to try it again.

5 people like this | Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can't understand why people would get Windows 8 and get back to 7, nor all the crap that flies towards W8.

I didn't buy it because my university has msdn partnership and got it for free, first installed it in the notebook and simply loved the boot times, then when tinkering with it, it's almost the same freaking thing, with a boost in performance and instead of having a start menu you have a "start page", besides that is the same freaking thing.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

So, we're looking at a growth of 0.43% a month, let's say 0.5%. Windows Vista peaked at around 20%, and Windows 8 will need 40 months (3 years 4 months) to reach that, if they can sustain this growth in the future.

Railman said:

Judging from a vendors website Windows 7 is ahead of Windows 8 in popularity. I don't expect the buyers reviews of W8 help as they are mainly negative.

By the way my office is due to be updated from Windows XP to Windows 7.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Windows 8 is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be IMO.To be honest I'd rather use Windows 95 as opposed to to any Mac OS X.

2 people like this | TheBigFatClown said:

Can't understand it huh? Shit attracts flies, its a law of the known universe. And oh yeah Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the "exact same operating system". LOL. I guess on that note, I've already upgraded my computer to Windows 8. It just has a different name. It's called Windows 7 Ultimate and it's gonna be here for awhile...a long, long, long, while.

1 person liked this | avioza said:

Microsoft removed important customization options from the user, thats why for me.

Relying on third party utilities to modify something that shuold be under my control by design is irritating on my home PC, and unnacceptable in a business environment. It can't even be switched off in the Windows System Image Manager.

All they had to do was leave an option to turn off metro and Windows 8 would have been a home run.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can't understand it huh? **** attracts flies, its a law of the known universe. And oh yeah Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the "exact same operating system". LOL. I guess on that note, I've already upgraded my computer to Windows 8. It just has a different name. It's called Windows 7 Ultimate and it's gonna be here for awhile...a long, long, long, while.

You really take BigFatDumps mousie. Windows 8 have a lot of upgrades in performance compared to Windows 7, I'm not saying why wouldnt anyone want to get the upgrade, but why downgrade when W8 has plenty of good things, it's like after Vista most still using XP no one wanted to move on to 7. Once people started doing it... see the chart.

BMfan BMfan said:

My friend did the same thing,bought the cheap upgrade option,installed on his notebook(which is one he use's sometimes).

I asked if he will install 8 on his main rig or server a couple weeks back and he replied neither of them.

When I said to him that windows 8 feels slightly different to 7(excluding the start button,which I use every day) he also thought I was talking nonsense,now that he's tried it he agrees.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

Windows 7 users have been vehemently shouting the *WHY* for months and months and months. We DO NOT LIKE WINDOWS 8. You can stop asking why at this point. We have voiced our opinons again and again. IT SUCKS. Now, if Microsoft wants to keep ignoring the fact that their tablet OS is not being embraced with opens, thats their business. Let them keep ignorning the complaints at their own peril and the chips will fall where they may. Im not going to turn my whole ****ng world upside by embracing a whole new chimpanze-like UI just because the operating system BOOTS FASTER! I know some of you nerds out there get chills up and down your spine when you hear the words "boots faster". It's like you go into a zombie-like state and you cant think relationally. You can't seem to reason things and out and say, "Okay, maybe the operating system boot faster but at the expense of what?". Alright, explanation of the 'why' is over. Now, go watch your YouTube videos on your shiny new Windows 8 turd.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

If you have Win 7, shut up and keep it. Anything else buy Windows 8, simple. If you are lacking knowledge on how to complete a task, find out how and do it once. You will remember next time. It is not that hard. I'm talking to dailytech readers not housewives.

1 person liked this | alcarin2030 alcarin2030 said:

Um, Windows 8 and Widows 7 are on par with each other on performance at the moment on everything but startup/shutdown. Also, Win 7 to Win 8 is nothing like Win XP to Win Vista.

Same thing goes for Linux, if you do not know how to do something figure it out, then you will know how to do it next time. Only, in 3 years if you use Microsoft you will need to learn it again. They need to keep changing the UI every 3 to 5 years so you will be the same OS over and over again.

Oh, look it boots faster, WOW. I know that needs to be done several times a day, so think of all the time you save.

pheonixnexus said:

Yeah but to easily navigating the interface and use most of the best features you need a touchscreen. There's a 22inch 1920x1080 screen on newegg for 299 but other than that prices go up by hundreds of dollars after. so keep ask youself keep xp/vista/7 or upgrade and buy a new moniter at 300 or more just to use an operating system that should have had option for people without touchscreens.

My main gripe is the shutdown menu. I want to be able to quickly power off or standby without having to hover in the lower right hand corner while the menu slide over on screen. I use my physical power button on my laptop as a standby button.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Like I said before, I installed star dock 8 and have been happily married to windows 8 ever since. Sure she has tiles, it makes her look good on the outside, but she is not shallow at all. I have long since gotten over my previous Marriage to windows 7.

fullmetalvegan fullmetalvegan said:

Why don't you just have the power button on your chassis set to shut down and press that? That's how I shutdown, I've never clicked it in any version of Windows. Also pressing ALT+F4 on the desk brings up a shutdown menu without needing to hover, also pressing ALT+CTRL+DEL being up a menu to press power off as well, there's like a handful of ways to shutdown in W8. ^_-

1 person liked this | Rippleman Rippleman said:

Uhmmm what? I guess I like strawberry jam more then peanut butter. Not sure what it has to do with this, but your comment seems the same

TheBigFatClown said:

So, the first thing you did after upgrading to Windows 8 is hunt down and re-install functionality that was removed from Windows 7 so that you would have Windows 7 functionality. Okay then.

Tiles make Windows 8 look good huh? Okay then.

All you nerds who love your Windows 8 desktop should have bought a Windows 8 tablet. There would have been absolutely no difference in the user experience.

Thanks for giving Microsoft a glimmer of hope.

Okay, my rant is over, you can go back to posting on Facebook with your shiny new tablet OS.

windmill007 said:

Windows 8 has good stuff and bad stuff. Windows 8 and start8 gets rid of bad stuff. Sucks I had to give another company $$ to make windows 8 work right for a desktop user. But if I couldn't use start 8 I would seriously of went back to windows 7. It's that bad. People who can't see that probably think vista is ok too. Some people are blind and drink the cool aid. The sales numbers are saying I'm right.

Railman said:

At the moment all new consumer Window compatible PCs and Laptops are sold with W8. It would be interesting to know what version customers would choose if given the choice. I remember a time when you could purchase a PC without an operating system.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Windows 8 really isn't that different from Windows 7.

Search:

Win 7: Hit Windows key and start typing.

Win 8: Hit Windows key and start typing.

Program List:

Win 7: Hit windows key and hover over "All Programs"

Win 8: Hit windows key, Right Mouse Button Click, Select "All Apps"

Start Button

Win 7: On your taskbar, lower-left.

Win 8: Lower-left corner of monitor.

What really else is there?

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Windows 8 just a preview of what to come. The focus seems to be to get rid of the desktop view. Right now with 8 you still have desktop view. So you flip flop back and forth from the tile view to the desktop view (aka old 7 look) So in Windows 9 or Windows 10 you'll slowly see that desktop view be history. The tiles would replace the desktop view. Nonsense to have both right now in 8. On Windows 8 tablet the tiles work much better but on the full PC without touch screen monitor not functional feature.

I too did that $14 bucks upgrade then gone back to Windows 7 U-64-bit but then had to get the new PC manufacturer to send me recovery CD or DVD so there system would be more stable with Windows 7 HPM-64-bit than running Windows 8-Pro. That's odd though but expected.

Frankly we all are use to Windows 7 and sure it's not perfect and MS Windows Upgrades are still patching the OS weekly or bi-weekly. Windows 8 has it problems too. I doubt companies will push for Windows 8 when they just upgraded to Windows 7.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Deep down I want to laugh at Microsoft. Deep down I know that it's possible my days with Microsoft is numbered, and that changes my laughter to pity. All these years I have stayed loyal and they throw this garbage in my face, saying you are gonna learn to like it. I didn't build a i7-2600K machine with a budget gaming card, so my screen could look so bland. Don't get me wrong I have complaints about Windows 7 as well, but Windows 8 by far surpasses them.

Carleton Wu Carleton Wu said:

Microsoft blew it when they bumped the upgrade price back up. By and large, most Windows 7 users are happy with Win7. Even at $39, Windows 8 upgrade offer didn't have many takers. I think most will just sit out this version or accept it with new hardware purchases--but not a minute sooner.

I bought Win 8 mainly due to boredom with Win 7 and that I could buy Win 8 Pro with Media Centre for about $30 CAD. Spent $5 for Stardock, deleted all the Start page tiles and when I boot I go straight to the desktop. It's good this way. All that Start page Tile Shite and having the same application twice (Start tile app is different than desktop app) is crapola. Changed all my file associations to open with my desktop apps, completely ignore all the Tiles and Store etc., and all is well. Wouldn't touch Win 8 if I had to pay the full price for it.

bangs777 bangs777 said:

Not very concern about the boot times..I am sure with tablets with touch based screen,it is handy. I find it just annoying enough having to used it in desktop with mouse and keyboard..despite the numerous features it brings over windows 7, I find the interface transition hard..might moved to it in some months from now..just not yet..

Bart Matusiak Bart Matusiak said:

You can't top Windows 7 that easily...it's hands down the best thing that's ever come out of Microsoft, ever.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Somewhat agree but Win 8 is the way forward.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

And I like peanut butter more 'than' not 'then' strawberry jam. Not too sure what this has to do with the thread either.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Yea, a friend of mine wants to buy his parents a new PC, he wants it with Win7 but all stores here in Sweden only sell computers with Win8 now...

I also had a co-worker ask me to downgrade his Win8 laptop to Win7, I just told him to go back to the store instead (he had paid extra because he was recommended to do so to get the upgrade from Win7 to Win8)

In the end he was too lazy to exchange it so he just bought another machine, like whatever...

1 person liked this | PC nerd PC nerd said:

No one wants their desktop to look like a shitty tablet.

End of.

There's nothing wrong with windows 7, that's my reason for not getting windows 8

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

This pretty much sums up my views on the topic ^^^

misor misor said:

Lol, my favorite OSes, windows 7 and windows 8 are pitted against each other.

I bought two low-cost windows 8 pro upgrade licenses and one office 2013 home and student (3 pc license plus one digital download of office 2013 home and student single pc license) during the promo period.

I was supposed to buy two more windows 8 pro licenses on January 31, 2013 but I was out of luck.

all I received after the input of my credit card info was the same error message affecting other buyers when the servers are busy: " can't process your credit card".

with the current price doubled up, I'll probably buy only one windows 8 retail license for my new incomplete i5-3570k based rig.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Windows 8 really isn't that different from Windows 7.

Search:

Win 7: Hit Windows key and start typing.

Win 8: Hit Windows key and start typing.

Program List:

Win 7: Hit windows key and hover over "All Programs"

Win 8: Hit windows key, Right Mouse Button Click, Select "All Apps"

Start Button

Win 7: On your taskbar, lower-left.

Win 8: Lower-left corner of monitor.

What really else is there?

Well, if there's nothing else, then what's the point of getting it?

Somewhat agree but Win 8 is the way forward.
Right, forward into pointless debt.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

For most people that have been using PCs for many years are sticking with 7. Some are even still on XP. Most people don't like change when change isn't needed. Win 7 is what Vista should have been. 8 reminds me too much of Vista. I only know one person who likes 8. They are a basic user (Email,Browse etc). For those that like touch screens on their desktop (small percentage) 8 is for them as well. But for the most part people aren't flocking to 8 for these reasons. I don't care for the look of it. I'm a power user(30 inch 2560 x 1600 display,i7 @ 4.8, 16gb ram, 2 gtx 680s in SLI for gaming) and I hate 8 as well as all my friends who are power users, they just don't want it. 7 will work for now until 8 can be improved upon and more time has gone by.

windmill007 said:

I LOL when people say that the start menu and start button are and do the same thing. Seriously? If you can't see the difference you probably think Vista wasn't that bad. Any power user can see the new start menu just gets in the way and is much slower in the fact it's full screen and is harder to adjust to what you want and it does allow interaction between the desktop

Like the old start button and menu did. It's not an improvement in anyway and makes for confusion and slower efficiency and certainly not anything businesses can roll out. It will be skipped by the masses like vista was and these numbers are showing it. Without all the new crap window8 has some nice features and that's why I use start8. But I shouldn't have too!

windmill007 said:

I meant to say doesn't allow interaction between the new start menu and desktop.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

What is the big deal with windows 8. its not all that different from windows 7.

The only reason why I probably won't get it is because that metro UI is just horrible.

TheBigFatClown said:

What is the big deal with windows 8. its not all that different from windows 7.

Is anyone else as confused as I am when reading this post??? The guy says the Windows 8 UI is horrible at the same time he says Windows 7 and Windows 8 are basically the same thing. So if I am interpreting his words correctly he is saying that the UI can be overlooked all together when comparing operating systems. That...it's irrelevant. Do I interpret your words correctly?

It's funny.

Windows 8 is not all that different from Windows 7 but the Windows 8 UI is horrible. Okay, now how many hours a day do people have to use the UI. 15 seconds a day? No, wait thats the boot time on a system with an SSD. Ummm, 15 minutes a day with the UI?? No, that doesn't sound right. Hmmm. I think I have figured it out. Unless there is a way to completely "bypass" the operating system UI I am thinking that people spend a lot of time using the UI of an operating system. If you don't spend much time using the UI of an operating system, do me a favor. Go out and buy yourself a tablet, any tablet, from any company, I don't care who. Because all your doing is killing the future of Windows by sending Microsoft a signal that says, "I really don't care about the UI. All I care about is my apps".

The only reason you probably won't get it is because the UI is horrible huh? LOL. You say that like you feel guilty and need even more reasons not to purchase.

"Yeah, I hate the Windows 8 UI (that I have no choice but to use) but I have to upgrade to Windows 8 so I can be hip and cool. So unless somebody gives me even more reasons not to upgrade to Windows 8 other than the lowly fact that the ****ing UI sucks a rosy red titty I am going to upgrade because I have ADD and begin to foam at the mouth if I have to wait too long for my operating system to boot. No, I won't let the pathetic, horrible, UI in Windows 8 stop ME from booting up 3 nanoseconds faster. Booyah!!!"

If YOU do not consider the pathetic, retarded, chimpanzee, in-your-face, UI in Windows 8 enough of a reason alone to deter you from upgrading to Windows 8 on a desktop than you either:

1. Dont spend enough time in the UI to care about it

or

2. You are a simpleton who uses Windows 8 to watch YouTube videos and report to everybody the last time you wiped your nose on FaceBook(because we all really care).

Moral of this story is this. Once again I say, If you fall into either of the two categories above, please do me a favor. Go buy yourself a tablet. And skip the desktop all together. Thank You.

And if you upgraded to Windows 8 and immediately brought back your start menu with a 3rd party utility I have one question for you. Why didn't you just buy a tablet? Or if you couldn't give up your start menu, why did you upgrade at all? Oh yeah....I forgot..."IT BOOTS FASTER!!!!".

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

What is the big deal with windows 8. its not all that different from windows 7.

I think you just answered your own question.

Clearly this is not news.

Windows 8 was never replacing windows 7.. no home user has a need to upgrade too Windows 8. It was designed and meant for MOBILE devices. Otherwise, why would a fresh install on a i7 gaming rig, resort to a "metro's" touch-screen gui and not a workable desktop..?

Nobody has expexted Windows 8 to outsell Windows 7 (from off the shelves), at least no home owner. New sales will most likely have Win8, but most opt for Win7 anyways, because Win8 is mobile and tile structure and not aimed at a workable surface to move things about and get things done.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Clearly this is not news.

It seems to me this is all speculation based on one missing fact. Which is, "is Windows 7 still being produced by M$"? I know it's available at distributors. However, XP was available for a long overlap time period when Vista was released. That was only due to backstock in stores, not because M$ was minting more copies of it.

So, if M$ is still printing Windows 7 discs, and/or selling licenses for it, you're correct. If they're not, you clearly don't know enough about what news is, to pass judgment on it.

IMO, it's a pity that Bill Gates is burnt out enough to let Steve Ballmer, who amounts to nothing more than a high functioning meat puppet, run his company.

The second thing I've learned is this; the only thing that offends me more than an Apple ad campaign against M$, is an ad campaign that M$ starts itself. With that in mind, les presantamos......

"Holy Jumping Jacka**es Batman", have you seen this crap on TV in support of the "Surface Pro"?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I agree and have one more big question. Are you enjoying the dull frame around all the applications? I know I wouldn't enjoy them.

If anyone wants Windows 7 to perform as if it is Windows Starter, that is an easy change to make in Windows 7. It could have been a change that was just as easy to make in Windows 8. The problem is people were not making that change because they wanted Aero over the non-aero option. So Microsoft takes away the Aero option leaving only non-aero, all in the name of saving power for handheld devices. I do have a machine that has enough power to operate an OS with aero capabilities. Installing Windows 8 would be a disgrace to the capabilities of my machine. And this disgrace would be a daily reminder because they are visual effects.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I saw the video before reading your comment. I couldn't help but laugh when reading what I was thinking.

Geesus said:

A friend of mine runs a phase change cooled pc running win7 for gaming ( yeah I know, hes nuts) but wanted something less power hungry for everyday browsing etc so got a new laptop with win 8 on it. First few days he said it was fine. About a week in and he was onto me on xfire telling me it was doing his head in as it was thrashing the crap out of his hd and he couldnt stop it. He narrowed it down to him being on the net because when he powered off his connection it stopped the thrashing. He's now planning on selling it.

kebab2000 kebab2000 said:

Using Windows 8 has made me realise how good Linux can be.

Sorry MS, I'd rather spend the dough on new games and hardware.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's funny.

1. Dont spend enough time in the UI to care about it

or

I see you writting a lot, yet you don't make sense at all. Please stop, we do understand you are some kind of fanboy and you really don't like windows 8, yet you keep speaking in plural as if you represent a mass of people who are as dissapointed and angry at microsoft as you are... might you be a disgruntled microsoft employee?

I'm sorry and this is the first time I'll use this kind of language, but you don't need to be a ******* ******* to express yourself.

That being said, back to topic.

[link]

There you can find benchmarks on performance of a machine using W7 and W8, so there might be a small difference but notebook users will surely welcome that small difference (Yes, when you are using a notebook and you need to move you're probably going to need to poweroff and on a couple of times per day, when your notebook is not that great, for it to boot in half a minute makes a whole difference when you need to search for something in particular and then boot off).

MY BIG PROBLEM, is how users WITH windows 8 will downgrade to windows 7, that is -like my friend who am replying- a totally biased and "I heard this and heard that about windows 8", or simply those "who changed my desktop! I can't find my computer icon!!" (You know, those who call you every couple of weeks because their internet is "too slow" .

What is NOT THE PROBLEM, people happy with windows 7 who won't upgrade to 8 (Again, for those a bit slow that won't read, NOT THE PROBLEM).

Someone told something about powerusers loosing time in Windows 8 because you have to make "too many clicks"... powerusers don't use the mouse mate and in that regard, in my experience you can find everything even faster in windows 8.

Again, assholes, fanboys and microsoft disgruntled employees refrain from comments, please.