Windows 8 adoption at 2.79%, not growing as fast as Windows 7

Jos

Staff

Windows 8 continued its slow but steady growth in February grabbing 2.26 percent of the operating system market share, up from 1.72 percent in December and 1.09 percent in November according to Net Applications. During the month Windows 7 also gained 0.07 percentage points after losing 0.63 percentage points in January, and it’s still the most used platform by a comfortable margin with 44.55 percent of the market.

The venerable Windows XP is second with 38.99 percent, down from 39.51 percent, while Vista continued to shed users with a 5.24 percent share. That put Windows 8 in fourth place among all operating system versions, just ahead of Mac OS X 10.8, which gained 0.17 points to 2.61 percent market share.

windows

So how has Windows 8 fared compared to Windows 7 during its initial launch months? To put it into perspective, both versions of Windows were officially released in October of their respective years, but by the end of February 2010 Windows 7 had already seized more than 9 percent of the traffic seen by Net Applications.

There are a few considerations to take into account, such as the fact that Windows 7 superseded and improved upon an operating system release that was generally seen as a commercial failure, whereas Windows 8 marks a significant paradigm shift for Microsoft that’s bound to encounter some resistance from long time Windows users despite offering heavily discounted upgrades -- which are no longer available, by the way.

Slowing PC sales might also be playing a part in Windows 8’s sluggish adoption.

Overall market share numbers for each operating system in aggregate haven’t changed much: Windows still dominates with a whopping 91.62 percent, down 0.09 points from 91.71 percent, followed by OS X which gained just as much to grab 7.17 percent and Linux holding steady at 1.21 percent.

Permalink to story.

I bought one of those cheap upgrade options.Tried 8 for about 2 weeks and then went back to 7.
I'm in no rush to try it again.

I can't understand why people would get Windows 8 and get back to 7, nor all the crap that flies towards W8.

I didn't buy it because my university has msdn partnership and got it for free, first installed it in the notebook and simply loved the boot times, then when tinkering with it, it's almost the same freaking thing, with a boost in performance and instead of having a start menu you have a "start page", besides that is the same freaking thing.

So, we're looking at a growth of 0.43% a month, let's say 0.5%. Windows Vista peaked at around 20%, and Windows 8 will need 40 months (3 years 4 months) to reach that, if they can sustain this growth in the future.

Judging from a vendors website Windows 7 is ahead of Windows 8 in popularity. I don't expect the buyers reviews of W8 help as they are mainly negative.

By the way my office is due to be updated from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Windows 8 is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be IMO.To be honest I'd rather use Windows 95 as opposed to to any Mac OS X.

I can't understand why people would get Windows 8 and get back to 7, nor all the crap that flies towards W8.

I didn't buy it because my university has msdn partnership and got it for free, first installed it in the notebook and simply loved the boot times, then when tinkering with it, it's almost the same freaking thing, with a boost in performance and instead of having a start menu you have a "start page", besides that is the same freaking thing.

Can't understand it huh? **** attracts flies, its a law of the known universe. And oh yeah Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the "exact same operating system". LOL. I guess on that note, I've already upgraded my computer to Windows 8. It just has a different name. It's called Windows 7 Ultimate and it's gonna be here for awhile...a long, long, long, while.

Microsoft removed important customization options from the user, thats why for me.

Relying on third party utilities to modify something that shuold be under my control by design is irritating on my home PC, and unnacceptable in a business environment. It can't even be switched off in the Windows System Image Manager.

All they had to do was leave an option to turn off metro and Windows 8 would have been a home run.

Can't understand it huh? **** attracts flies, its a law of the known universe. And oh yeah Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the "exact same operating system". LOL. I guess on that note, I've already upgraded my computer to Windows 8. It just has a different name. It's called Windows 7 Ultimate and it's gonna be here for awhile...a long, long, long, while.

You really take BigFatDumps mousie. Windows 8 have a lot of upgrades in performance compared to Windows 7, I'm not saying why wouldnt anyone want to get the upgrade, but why downgrade when W8 has plenty of good things, it's like after Vista most still using XP no one wanted to move on to 7. Once people started doing it... see the chart.

My friend did the same thing,bought the cheap upgrade option,installed on his notebook(which is one he use's sometimes).
I asked if he will install 8 on his main rig or server a couple weeks back and he replied neither of them.

When I said to him that windows 8 feels slightly different to 7(excluding the start button,which I use every day) he also thought I was talking nonsense,now that he's tried it he agrees.

Windows 7 users have been vehemently shouting the *WHY* for months and months and months. We DO NOT LIKE WINDOWS 8. You can stop asking why at this point. We have voiced our opinons again and again. IT SUCKS. Now, if Microsoft wants to keep ignoring the fact that their tablet OS is not being embraced with opens, thats their business. Let them keep ignorning the complaints at their own peril and the chips will fall where they may. Im not going to turn my whole ****ng world upside by embracing a whole new chimpanze-like UI just because the operating system BOOTS FASTER! I know some of you nerds out there get chills up and down your spine when you hear the words "boots faster". It's like you go into a zombie-like state and you cant think relationally. You can't seem to reason things and out and say, "Okay, maybe the operating system boot faster but at the expense of what?". Alright, explanation of the 'why' is over. Now, go watch your YouTube videos on your shiny new Windows 8 turd.

If you have Win 7, shut up and keep it. Anything else buy Windows 8, simple. If you are lacking knowledge on how to complete a task, find out how and do it once. You will remember next time. It is not that hard. I'm talking to dailytech readers not housewives.

You really take BigFatDumps mousie. Windows 8 have a lot of upgrades in performance compared to Windows 7, I'm not saying why wouldnt anyone want to get the upgrade, but why downgrade when W8 has plenty of good things, it's like after Vista most still using XP no one wanted to move on to 7. Once people started doing it... see the chart.

Um, Windows 8 and Widows 7 are on par with each other on performance at the moment on everything but startup/shutdown. Also, Win 7 to Win 8 is nothing like Win XP to Win Vista.

Same thing goes for Linux, if you do not know how to do something figure it out, then you will know how to do it next time. Only, in 3 years if you use Microsoft you will need to learn it again. They need to keep changing the UI every 3 to 5 years so you will be the same OS over and over again.

Oh, look it boots faster, WOW. I know that needs to be done several times a day, so think of all the time you save.

Yeah but to easily navigating the interface and use most of the best features you need a touchscreen. There's a 22inch 1920x1080 screen on newegg for 299 but other than that prices go up by hundreds of dollars after. so keep ask youself keep xp/vista/7 or upgrade and buy a new moniter at 300 or more just to use an operating system that should have had option for people without touchscreens.

My main gripe is the shutdown menu. I want to be able to quickly power off or standby without having to hover in the lower right hand corner while the menu slide over on screen. I use my physical power button on my laptop as a standby button.

Like I said before, I installed star dock 8 and have been happily married to windows 8 ever since. Sure she has tiles, it makes her look good on the outside, but she is not shallow at all. I have long since gotten over my previous Marriage to windows 7.

My main gripe is the shutdown menu. I want to be able to quickly power off or standby without having to hover in the lower right hand corner while the menu slide over on screen. I use my physical power button on my laptop as a standby button.

Why don't you just have the power button on your chassis set to shut down and press that? That's how I shutdown, I've never clicked it in any version of Windows. Also pressing ALT+F4 on the desk brings up a shutdown menu without needing to hover, also pressing ALT+CTRL+DEL being up a menu to press power off as well, there's like a handful of ways to shutdown in W8. ^_-

Like I said before, I installed star dock 8 and have been happily married to windows 8 ever since. Sure she has tiles, it makes her look good on the outside, but she is not shallow at all. I have long since gotten over my previous Marriage to windows 7.

So, the first thing you did after upgrading to Windows 8 is hunt down and re-install functionality that was removed from Windows 7 so that you would have Windows 7 functionality. Okay then. :)
Tiles make Windows 8 look good huh? Okay then. :)
All you nerds who love your Windows 8 desktop should have bought a Windows 8 tablet. There would have been absolutely no difference in the user experience.
Thanks for giving Microsoft a glimmer of hope.
Okay, my rant is over, you can go back to posting on Facebook with your shiny new tablet OS.

Windows 8 has good stuff and bad stuff. Windows 8 and start8 gets rid of bad stuff. Sucks I had to give another company $$ to make windows 8 work right for a desktop user. But if I couldn't use start 8 I would seriously of went back to windows 7. It's that bad. People who can't see that probably think vista is ok too. Some people are blind and drink the cool aid. The sales numbers are saying I'm right.

At the moment all new consumer Window compatible PCs and Laptops are sold with W8. It would be interesting to know what version customers would choose if given the choice. I remember a time when you could purchase a PC without an operating system.

Windows 8 really isn't that different from Windows 7.

Search:
Win 7: Hit Windows key and start typing.
Win 8: Hit Windows key and start typing.

Program List:
Win 7: Hit windows key and hover over "All Programs"
Win 8: Hit windows key, Right Mouse Button Click, Select "All Apps"

Start Button
Win 7: On your taskbar, lower-left.
Win 8: Lower-left corner of monitor.

What really else is there?

Windows 8 just a preview of what to come. The focus seems to be to get rid of the desktop view. Right now with 8 you still have desktop view. So you flip flop back and forth from the tile view to the desktop view (aka old 7 look) So in Windows 9 or Windows 10 you'll slowly see that desktop view be history. The tiles would replace the desktop view. Nonsense to have both right now in 8. On Windows 8 tablet the tiles work much better but on the full PC without touch screen monitor not functional feature.

I too did that $14 bucks upgrade then gone back to Windows 7 U-64-bit but then had to get the new PC manufacturer to send me recovery CD or DVD so there system would be more stable with Windows 7 HPM-64-bit than running Windows 8-Pro. That's odd though but expected.

Frankly we all are use to Windows 7 and sure it's not perfect and MS Windows Upgrades are still patching the OS weekly or bi-weekly. Windows 8 has it problems too. I doubt companies will push for Windows 8 when they just upgraded to Windows 7.

Back