Samsung Galaxy S4 leaked on Chinese forum

By on March 11, 2013, 2:30 PM

A series of leaked photos claiming to show Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S4 smartphone were recently published on a Chinese forum. The images reveal a handset that looks similar to the company’s other popular Android handsets albeit with a slimmer profile and a larger display.

The phone in question appears to be coated with a textured plastic on the front and back, lending credit to the leak as Samsung executive VP of mobile Y.H. Lee said the Galaxy S4 would continue to use plastic building materials during a recent interview.

Most expect the Galaxy S4 to carry a 5-inch Super AMOLED display with 1080p HD resolution (1,920 x 1,080), an eight-core Exynos 5 Octa processor (which may be limited to international models), 2GB  of system memory and a 13-megapixel rear camera. The phone in the leaks is reportedly said to carry a “Universal5410” processor clocked at 1.8GHz which is probably a codename for the Exynos Octa 5410.

The Galaxy S4 is also believed to have a new eye tracking software feature that can sense eye movements to scroll the display automatically. Samsung filed a trademark in Europe for “Eye Scroll” back in January and another trademark for “Samsung Eye Scroll” in the US a month later. The feature was first tipped by a Samsung employee speaking to the New York Times.

As with any rumor, these leaked images should be consumed with a healthy dose of salt as the Galaxy S3 before it was incorrectly leaked several times before the final reveal.

cmbjive said:

I'm willing to bet my life savings (all $200 worth) that that is the S4. I'm still getting my S3 fixed but once this is available through VZW I might have to get another contract so that I can get that phone a bit earlier than 2014.

Hopefully if your inside a building this new phone can get a signal unlike the S3. Which is by far my biggest complaint with the S3. Pisses me off when the guys with there iphones can get perfect signal and my S3 struggles for one. And its not the carrier.

ikesmasher said:

Who needs an eight core processor in your phone. the 1080p 5 inch screen sounds great, but seriously? eight cores?

MilwaukeeMike said:

Did that guy really get part of his face included in the reflection of the phone? Way to go buddy, I'm sure no one will be able to figure out who you are now. lol

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

Yeah! Aluminum would be nice on the Galaxy line!

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

The back is hideous just like the S2 and S3.

*sigh*

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I guess you could see his face, if you could see through the phone he's holding in front of it.

MilwaukeeMike said:

that would be why I said 'part'.

Why are Samsung phones so cheapy looking? Note 2 included. They feel like kids toys and even with the heavy CPU\graphics don't feel nearly as responsive as the iPhone.

p51d007 said:

Could I care less that the back is plastic? Nope, something that expensive, for me, is going to be placed inside a rubber bumper/case anyway, so the material the back case isn't squat for me. My G-Note 1 has a very thin back plastic case, but, it never sees the light of day anyhow.

1 person liked this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

It's pretty apparent that Samsung fans have turned into to Android equivalent of iSheep. They spent so many years poking fun at iOS fans for spending money on each and every iPhone despite the fact that they would keep the same design for 2 years at a time and now we see them defending this phone to the death even though Samsung just pulled the same maneuver if this leak is real.

1 person liked this | Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The back is hideous just like the S2 and S3.

*sigh*

+1 especially dislike the cheapish plasticky feel of Galaxy line. Also, assuming it is the real thing, then it would mean Samsung designers are running out of ideas and just recycling the old tired ones.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

that would be why I said 'part'.

Just get the dudes from CSI on it, they will enhance it to clear as day!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

The back is hideous just like the S2 and S3.

*sigh*

Yeah I also like to spend most of my time looking at the back of the phone. I find the speaker grille & plastic far more fascinating than the screen.

When it comes to looks Nexus 4 is definitely ahead of Galaxy line including S4. Despite how advanced the hardware inside it's high time Samsung should seriously consider going for a better look.. ah may be for S5.

MilwaukeeMike said:

I believe there are other important reasons to make a phone out of plastic. Aluminum looks great, but I believe it creates some problems with reception. I'm probably mixing this up, but I think was the new HTC phone that had to do some special tricks with their antenna because the phone was metal, and the iPhone has had it's share of problems with it.

The back is hideous with some cheap plastic.. while other brands can come up with more premium looks or better material even at the same price with samsung galaxy..

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@MilwaukeeMike

True, but have a look at N4, it is a good example of relatively decent quality. Perhaps due to GG2 coating at front and back.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I have a friend at google that is beta testing the S4. Don't know what's in this pic but he has a QUAD core in his test model.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@LinkedKube

Because the US version will have a quad core SoC, whereas, the international version will have an Octa Core SoC.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Thanks for liking my comment!

that would be why I said 'part'.

An identification from part of a face and a hand, huh? Maybe you can help me then. I found a dead body and I think it's my friend. Do you think if I post a picture of his foot and part of his cheek on Facebook, someone could tell me if it's him or not?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

@LinkedKube

I wonder how that will effect pricing.