Disney closes LucasArts, staff laid off, Star Wars 1313 cancelled

By on April 3, 2013, 4:30 PM

LucasArts is dead. News has surfaced that the game studio is being shut down some five months after it was acquired as part of a $4.05 billion deal between Disney and Lucasfilm. According to various reports, many of the outfit's employees have been laid off -- around 150 people if Kotaku's source has it right -- and all of the developer's current projects have been cancelled, including Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313.

In a statement to GameInformer, Disney explained that it has been evaluating its position on games and has simply determined that LucasArts would better serve the company by licensing properties instead of developing them in-house. That shift is meant to reduce the risk involved with individual projects while simultaneously expanding the company's portfolio of Star Wars titles.

Considering the overwhelming positive response to Star Wars 1313's unveiling last year, the closure will undoubtedly disappoint many fans. The title made our list of most anticipated PC games for 2013 and would have placed players in the boots of a bounty hunter determined to uncover a criminal conspiracy on the seedy underbelly of planet Coruscant's subterranean level 1313. The third-person shooter seemed to have what many described as next-gen graphics and offered a grittier take on the Star Wars fiction.

In a separate comment to GameInformer, Disney acknowledged that 1313 "was looking fantastic" and "the reception has been great," so there's some hope of it living on through a third-party developer. The company says it's looking for "proven external partners" and 1313 could very well be released eventually via licensing. Kotaku's source isn't as positive about that outcome, suggesting that "both games are effectively dead forever" now that the original teams have been let go.

"We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production... They're evaluating everything. There's always a possibility that it [Star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing," Disney said. "It's super sad. It's a terrible day. I want to make sure everyone realizes that there still will be Star Wars games out there."




User Comments: 17

Got something to say? Post a comment
Guest said:

Haha, April Fool's right....right!?

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

Meh. They haven't released a good game in years, so I don't care too much... ...Of course that is only if they move the good game ideas and IP to another studio and finally make BattleFront 3 ^_^

MrAnderson said:

Hmm, might the employees of LucusArts start a new developer house with a big publisher and perhaps get the rights to continue development on 1313?? (or was this an April fools joke and I missed the punch-line?!)

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron for N64, you will always be remembered! I liked Star Wars as a kid but it wasn't until after 19 gold medals in that game I truly fell in love with the Star Wars universe.

JC713 JC713 said:

I was really looking forward to 1313. Me and my friends still play Battlefront 2 from time to time. It is still an amazing game.

veLa veLa said:

Now I'll never have a follow up to Star Wars Republic Commando.

Lionvibez said:

Yep disney buying Star wars has F***** everyone.

There may be hope for the new movies but other than that what once was will never be.

Sad...

1 person liked this | Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Yep disney buying Star wars has F***** everyone.

They may be hope for the new movies but other than that what once was will never be.

Sad...

Lucas himself did a pretty good job of it really. My expectations were nice and low.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Yep disney buying Star wars has F***** everyone.

They may be hope for the new movies but other than that what once was will never be.

Sad...

Lucas himself did a pretty good job of it really. My expectations were nice and low.

as said by the Darth Shiv himself.

Jcanno0759 said:

So much for Star Wars. It was fun while it lasted. Marvel will probably follow in suit in a few months.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That's really disappointing, was looking forward to 1313.

KidChaos said:

I see this going the way of Duke Nukem.. we'll see it bounce through a dozen different studios, finally get rushed and end up with a crappy game released well after is prime audience is still interested

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

LucasArts had been licensing the Star Wars games away for years anyway, to Factor 5, Pandemic, BioWare, Raven Studios, whoever. Disney will do the same thing. The days of Full Throttle and X-Wing are over and LucasArts has been more publisher than developer for years now. All they really closed is an office building.

De4ler De4ler said:

Hahahaha xD Die LucasArts xD

1 person liked this | 3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

That just sucks a big big banana, I wanted a big starwars party... dang it...

sapo joe said:

SAD news. Very sad.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.