Microsoft creative director on always-on console: #dealwithit (Update)

By on April 5, 2013, 10:00 AM

Update: Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has issued an official statement on behalf of the company.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.  We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

-- Original story below.

We’ve been hearing for some time now that Microsoft’s next generation game console could require an always-on Internet connection and that games must be installed to the hard drive. We’ve been skeptical of such a requirement as recent as late last month but based on a recent tweet by Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth, the rumors could very well be true.

Orth took to the microblogging platform to publically proclaim that he doesn’t get the drama around having an always-on console. He points out that every device now is always-on and it’s simply the world we live in. The executive wraps up the post with #dealwithit.

As you can imagine, his post stirred up quite a bit of controversy in the Twittersphere but Orth stuck to his guns. One Twitter member said he knew of five people that didn’t have Internet access. Orth’s said those people should get with the times and get the Internet because it’s awesome.

When asked if he learned anything from Diablo III and SimCity (referring to their constant connection requirements) and that the Internet goes out occasionally, Orth shot back with a couple of analogies about electricity going out and poor mobile reception as reasons not to buy a vacuum cleaner or a mobile phone, respectively.

Microsoft has yet to publically comment on the Xbox 720 which makes Orth’s tirade especially interesting. Last we heard, Redmond was preparing to unveil their next console at a special media event next month or perhaps at E3 in June.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Oh well tough luck Xbox fans if that kind of thing riles you. As for me, I'd rather watch paint dry than concern myself with what Microsoft does with it's mess.

Been on the site for a long time and never posted before, but this is too infuriating to take standing down. Had an xbox, currently own a 360, but if this is true; there is absolutely no way on god's green Earth I would ever buy a 720.

Goodbye Microsoft you have lost one of your most loyal customers.

bounca99 said:

Never been a fan of PS3 but looks like I will be getting one. This will suck as I have encouraged all my friends to get an Xbox. This guy needs to learn a thing or two about customer service. They should be introducing more services to attract more customers and reward existing customers.

One thing they need to get rid of is the Xbox Live subscription.....thats the shit I dont like

3 people like this | lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I saw most of the conversation he was having on Twitter. Dude is a douchebag. When Manveer Heir asked him what about people who lived in not-so connected places such as Janesville, WI or Backsburg, VA (as opposed to Seattle, LA and other cities he's lived), this guy had the balls to say:

"Why on Earth would I live there?"

If this guy had said that in front of me I would have ***** slap him. He wouldn't deserve a punch.

Now they're saying he was just trolling Manveer directly. I call BS. This guy was also responding to other people with the same demeanor.

cmbjive said:

I'm still going to buy the console but his tweets all but confirm that the next Xbox will be always online. I just hope the danged thing has a sleep function.

1 person liked this | lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Why on earth would you buy a console that requires always-on connection? It's not even about the internet requirement. It's also the fact you won't be able to play used games.

3 people like this | wiyosaya said:

M$ seems to be an expert at doing things their customers vastly dislike these days.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

This guy clearly messed up with his series of, let's say unfortunate, comments on Twitter. But this isn't official confirmation from Microsoft so it's probably best to wait until we hear more before making final judgement on this -- an Xbox event is rumored for April 26.

I'm still skeptical about the always on requirement in order to play games but we'll see.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Poor 720 sales, you get fired.

#dealwithit.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Heh, he says "always on", not "always online" (the 360 and ps3 are already "always on". Plugged a USB into my "off" 360, and it lit up for a few seconds). So I'll bet that he is just a douche that is trolling people.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw an article about how this guy got fired and how he has to #dealwithit :p

This is to easy for Sony, Sony deserves a really good fight on this generation, and Microsoft again its getting lazy with the console, the Xbox360 had luck with sony bullshito and some things good from their system (kinect, online service) but not all their stuff and specially not with the games and studios....This cannot be happening.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Regardless of how official it is, this person is in a management position to control and direct what goes on, This along with the win 8 management attitudes pretty much exposes M$ arrogance and the lack of any form of consumer empathy. Pretty happy to have gotten my kids 360 for free and games for it off kijiji. Won't be buying a thing the M$ makes.. ever.

I was excited about the new xbox console but this whole DRM thing is putting me in wait and see mode, not cool

misor misor said:

So adam orth by analogy is promoting google chromebook's "always on scheme" ?

I don't mind having my licensed copy of a game/program checked online for license abuse once in a while.

if this indifference to consumers continue, there will come a time when we have to get online to play our tv/recorded shows/music.

1 person liked this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I think its a probe to get feedback.

Personally, I will be waiting a long time before I replace my $400 360S : Reach Limited Edition with a new xbox. Looking at the specs/features of the 720 the 360 will do just about anything the 720 can do. They say "twice the performance of the 360" which fools all the kiddies but thats really not that impressive when your talking about a 256MB GPU and aged triple core.

Maybe I am being too harsh?

Either way I am glad I still got my custom rig to make them both look silly. I love the newer game review video's across various sites where its frequently mentioned throught the review how superior the game plays and feels and what your missing on a console compared to a nice rig.

howzz1854 said:

Except people don't go screaming and yelling when their vacum cleaner don't work.

Deal with it?

this tells me that they have no respect for what customer wants, and if that's their attitude, I'd say you can deal with piracy as well.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Sound like a bit of a PR stunt to me.

cmbjive said:

Not being able to play used games don't bother me. I don't think I've bought a used game for either the 360 or PS3 and if there is a game I want to play I usually wait until it hits a bargain price. I already leave my PS3 and Xbox 360 running for days on end so having an always on internet connection doesn't bother me.

Chances are Microsoft will ship with the next Xbox with an always on requirement. That being said, if sales numbers are very low because of this requirement Microsoft will probably eliminate it with a massive update and a removal from future next Xboxes.

Or, as someone pointed out, this could be a feeler and based on negative feedback they won't do anything like this at all. We'll see.

Passnot said:

I agree to the statements this guy says to a point, but I also don't agree with how he directs his 'way-of-the-world' attitude. If you want people to buy your product that has a feature that is pretty controversial for the moment, I would not be so insensitive with hash tags #dealwithit. Microsoft should definitely discipline, if not force him to apologize via tweet to everyone he offended. There are better ways to convey something without making your CUSTOMERS angry.

Now to play devil's advocate. I agree that MOST people nowadays should have internet access who want to have a $400+ system(peripherals+games). I am sure that Microsoft has all the stats on their xbox live members and they can see who is "always online" at any given point. And if you take that into consideration and calculate the percentage of who they think will migrate to next gen, I believe they have solid numbers for a successful always online console. It's like if smart phones were sold without data plans, cell phone companies could look into the stats of who bought smart phones and a data plan anyways, and if those numbers are high enough to justify having a data plan requirement for every cell phone, then it would make business sense to have it a requirement. It would alienate some, but honestly people forget how calculating most companies are. If the numbers add up and the alienated are the minority, they will go forward with it.

Now if Microsoft was smart(which they haven't been since Win8/Surface release/pricing), they would come out with two SKUs. One SKU should be include a bluray drive with Xgb hdd and offline feature at say $400. Then have the other SKU with no bluray drive and Xgb hdd with pricing at $300 and "always online". I will bet you anything if you're a gamer like me, you're gonna pick up the blurayless SKU for cheaper cause you actually don't care about "always online", but like most gamers, you love savings. Along with the success of steam, xbox live arcade/on demand, psn games and mmos people should not be so shock to news when it comes to just downloading games instead of having hard copies. Why are we still grasping onto hard copies in 2013? Why SHOULDN'T games go the way of the CD and DVD? At least if Microsoft gave two SKUs to slowly migrate people and give them a benefit to do so, not to mention learn from ea/activision day 1 server deficiencies, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for longa$$ post. Wanted to defend concept, but also disagree with how it was conveyed.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

Hey Orhty, I got something for you to deal with you cockroach. I will recommend to anyone I know to buy a PS4 versus a 720 because of this F*** Y** attitude coming from everybody at Microsoft. It's the same attitude they had when they released Windows 8. I didn't buy your ****** Windows 8 operating system and I will recommend to everyone and everybody I come in contact with on planet Earth not to buy a 720 when they are released. You're not untouchable you ******* cockroach.

Tygerstrike said:

Ok I will #dealwithit. I just wont buy the 720. Hows that asshat!! Can he #dealwithit that he is activly pissing off MS customers? Can he #dealwithit if the 720 flops because of features that are not wanted. Or better yet, can he #dealwithit when he gets fired and no one will hire him and his wife leaves him? Im thinking that this idjit is going to have a lot more #dealwithit issues before a week is even out. I wouldnt be surprised if MS cans him simply for the trolling. It makes MS look bad, and MS cant afford bad press.

TheBigFatClown said:

Where do these little ******* cockroaches at Microsoft get off by saying stuff like this to their customers??? By having this kind of attitude with their customers? I thought they encouraged customer feedback?? So for much me ever wanting to provide feedback again. Millions of Windows 7 users have been screaming from the rooftops that Windows 8 is a piece of **** and we want it fixed??? What is Microsoft saying back? **** YOU. Deal with it!

That's could be Microsoft's new customer service slogan.

**** YOU . DEAL WITH IT!!! *****

Kinda catchy.

Sniped_Ash said:

The Giant Bomb guys have been getting the impression that developers aren't particularly pleased with Microsoft with regards to the next XBOX and that MS' attitude might be similar to Sony's after the success of the PS2. This #dealwithit statement certainly fits that attitude.

E3 is going to be *awesome* this year.

JC713 JC713 said:

This may be a good selling point for the PS4. Why would you even need it to be always on? Why cant it just fetch updates when it turns on.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It doesn't matter if everyone is always on-line, requiring an on-line connection to use the console is just wrong. My PC doesn't require an on-line connection to function, but yet it is always on-line. Purchasing a console and then some games are not enough, now the idea of requiring an Internet connection. Why don't you pay the bill for an Internet connection, if you are going to require one.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You do realize the whole deal is if your internet goes down, so does your game (even if single player), right? Right? No?

Even if your internet is always flawless, which it is isn't, it poses the question: Why always-on? Well, it's clearly DRM. They will use it to update the system/apps/games, but the main use is DRM. If the Xbox has grown to become a media consumption device more so than an actual gaming console as they've said, then the thinking behind always-on seems rather confusing. Especially coming from MS who's known for their usage-tracking programs on their products, which they later use to base new feature implementations on.

Even if internet outages don't apply to you, this still means you won't be able to take your Xbox and play it on a friend's house; or that friend won't be able to bring his/her game to your house because it just won't work.

Granted this is all still rumor. And I know for a fact this was planned in the pre-production process (my brother-in-law works for MS). What no one knows is whether this is still in place. With all the negative feedback, it might as well not be, but MS has been acting stupid the last couple of years so it wouldn't surprise me.

shamus087 said:

He was probably like, "I got an idea! Lets make the console always need a connection! That way it'll be easy to fight the pirates!"

Here's how I'll "deal with it" with this kinda attitude it'll be really easy to leave the microsoft gaming system. Here I come Sony!

Geforcepat Geforcepat said:

Patrick will not be spending his money on the crapbox next.so #dealwiththat

cmbjive said:

Hey, all of your concerns are duly noted. For me it's consistency. I've been buying every system since the Sega Genesis. I'm not going to let always on internet and DRM stop me from buying a 720 on day one. If I experience issues with the 720 I'll have the PS4 and vice versa. I just don't see always on connection as big concern, but I certainly understand where you guys are coming from.

Not trying to convince anyone of my position as I am definitely in the minority here and on every gaming website I visit.

veLa veLa said:

There are still plenty of places where people don't have broadband so this requirement is absurd. I already have a 360 that I hardly use for gaming (I have a gaming rig for this), so I guess I can hold on to it since I do enjoy having living room netflix.

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

Perhaps it's time for Microsoft to go see a doctor or a psychiatrist because it seems to be developing an almost catatonic fear of success, coupled with a heavy allergic reaction to money. I'm pretty sure that's what's going since I can't seem to find any other explanation as to just what their problem is.

First they go all out to alienate their desktop userbase and initially you could forgive them for the rebranding and new user interface. Maybe they were going through an identity crisis when they were asked "If you're called Windows then why is your logo a flag?". Unfortunately, that train of thought left the platform and headed straight towards Screw You Station with no other stops in between as they kept telling potential customers such reassuring wonders like "It might not be as good as before but you'll get used to it." and "We don't want you to have a choice, so you're not getting one.".

Now we get to find out that it's not just a single release or platform issue as they're doing their best to ensure their next generation console sells about as well as Ebola Cereals last album. If Microsoft aren't genuinely terrified of money, then perhaps it's time they got the entirety of their customer relations department sectioned. If they are terrified of money, then perhaps they should drop all pretence and just announce that the new console is going to be a hollowed out cereal box with a Raspberry Pi glued to the inside with half a squirt of PVA.

It's days like this that I almost feel sorry for Bill Gates. He tried ever so hard sculpting a technological giant. Even going so far as to sit side by side with the rest of the programmers, helping to make each release as smooth and sensible as possible. I'm not saying he succeeded, but at least he tried. He was prepared to listen to the userbase, add features that were asked for and get rid of the annoyances that could've seen Microsoft employees lynched on their way home (clippy, anybody?). He did what he could to spread out the Microsoft formula to mobile platforming with mobile phones and pocket PCs. He genuinely cared and he genuinely tried.

Now he's gotten his head stuck in a bucket of doo lally, forgotten that he isn't Captain America while he's out on his crusader mission to save the world from killer diseases and condoms and all of his old buddies are doing their absolute best to sink Microsoft so far into the ground, there's a good chance it will melt in the Earths core, as an elaborate smokescreen to hide just how much of the companys finances they're dumping into their own bank accounts.

Like I said, I almost feel sorry for him. Then I take a quick second to remember that he has more money than God and all emotion is washed aside.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Looks like I'll be taking my money elsewhere. #dealwithit

Prosercunus said:

So is this now acceptable for a professional to behave? "dealwithit".

Great public relations there. I think you just convinced me to stick with my PC.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Is M$ so cocky because they know Sony is going to be doing the same?

Tygerstrike said:

I highly doubt that MS even gives a damn about their customer base. MS has been so butthurt over the used video game industry. They are greedy bastards who believe that they deserve a piece of the used video game market. A market I remind you that was created BY THE CUSTOMERS!!!!! It was the customers who sat there and realized that $50-$80 bucks per game really wasnt worth it. Once you have completed your game, it sat there gathering dust. Once the used video game market became a reality, New video game purchases went up. Now that MS is activly trying to kill a market that they have no business in, we will see MS game sales drop.

SammyJames said:

Every day that passes showing even more spite from Redmond is another day upon which I reconsider my decision to "go pro" with MS products. At some point, it might become economically impossible for me to continue using such expensive products, and I may have to install some version of Ubuntu and live with it. Or, I might just cross-grade to a nice Android device.

At any rate, it almost doesn't matter. I don't do enough gaming on my computer to care much about games. I'd be happy to buy a Sony PS 4 when it comes out, and that will take care of my entertainment needs. What I need from a PC is a solid workstation. Whichever company can win that prize will win my money, period.

JC713 JC713 said:

Just because of this attitude, sales probably wont be as good as the PS4.

2 people like this | kuroiei kuroiei said:

Oh, okay. Wait a second, I'll put my IT wresting costume...

First of all - I've hold up my growing disgust for M$ for quite some time now, mainly because I tolerate that a product can have it's purpose and I might not be the target customer. Saying that I'll add that I'm a CGI artist, and I use my PC for WORK. It's a tricky little thing connected to productivity. I don't game much, so I don't even look at an XBox. So, I demand an efficient, solid system and a clear, readable and accessible work environment. Not much to ask, huh? Well, it seems I'm wrong.

I need to love tablets. I need to love touchscreens. I need to be always-on, have huge, colorful tiles, semi-transparent windows and stuff that pops up, pops out, pops in, spins and does splits while juggling freaking IE icons all around the fraggin' place!

The point is - I'm in no position to choose. The apps I work with are written for Windows. The only good thing that came from M$ in the couple last years (note - for me!) is Windows 7. A stable, plain (after modding and turning those juggling clowns off), 64-bit system. I was lucky that it came along. And after that? "No more Service Packs for W7" (the only one that came out was mainly for Windows Server Edition anyway...). "Windows 8 annouced!" "Windows Blue!" And now: "Always-on!". And it's fine, I've already got what I wanted. But the ATTITUDE! The customer-developer relation! You could explain like a human being. You could just give the straight facts, and cut off the discussion saying, that there's nothing that can be done. But "#dealwithit"? Seriously?!

MICROSHAFT... WHT R U DOIN? MICROSHAFT... STAHP!

treetops treetops said:

I know a lot of people who have a modern console but no internet connection. They are going to lose a ton of sales. Hopefully they are smart enough to let people plug their phones into the new console and get internet that way. Still its just a needless pain in the butt that is going to cost them insane sales numbers.

SammyJames said:

I understand completely. Me saying that I could "cross-grade to Android" is a serious joke. I feel the same way that you do, except in my case, I am a musician who uses a PC to create content.

I've had many opportunities to buy Macs, but I hate Apple, Macintosh computers, iPads, iPhones, iPods, and the entire iOS/Mac OSX line of software crapola.

I'm one of those rare music-types who doesn't get all fluttery when Apple releases some new "Cat-powered" OS. I don't use Logic. I use Cubase.

Deal with it? Okay -- I will. I'll deal with it -- by never parting with my beloved Windows 7.

There's a reason why I occasionally create a DVD containing a Windows Repair disc...

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I wasn't getting a 720 anyway but its fun to watch the ship burn and sink so slowly...No exclusives, weaker system then ps4, always on DRM, forced to save everything to your Hard drive.

GunsAblazin said:

This guy is a *****. 20% of Americans don't have internet and it's not because they just don't want it. It's because the infrastructure just isn't there or many other valid reasons. If he speaks for Microsoft, they are more out of touch than I thought. No wonder they make so much stupid decisions.

gamoniac said:

I really don't have a problem with always-online requirement. But I also can't think of a reason why they should make it so. DRM is the only reason, and it seems to really piss everyone off.

There are so many reasons why I don't want any always-online device, game or other. And even less so, do I want a big brother spy-box, always online, having a camera (kinect) pointed at my face 24/7. You'd have to be a damn fool not to be able to imagine how such a combination of invasion to privacy could be used. I can't believe that anyone would ever defend the always-online policy. You'd have to be the most naive child on the face of the Earth. The last thing I want is to come off as some conspiracy freak here, but even that's better than sounding like a baby still wet behind the ears. I simply hate the way technology is going these days, and yeah, it's starting to freak me out a little bit. Everybody's carrying around a GPS in their pocket (phones), there are street/traffic cameras everywhere, and now... Microsoft expects us to invite their spy-box into our homes. It's not like people aren't already stupid enough to share their entire lives on Facebook. Microsoft's spy-box is all but superfluous. Oh I'm sure it's not as bad as I make it sound here. Then again, I'd never really feel entirely secure in that conviction. Would you?

Now, let's get real. It's always-online now, and later it's subscription fees for all games. This is where we're heading, and you better believe it. It's all about business, anti-piracy and milking gamers for money. I'm starting to feel real stupid for being a paying customer.

Sure M$ go right ahead. You just 'deal with it' when you see the consequences.

fimbles fimbles said:

Bring on the pirated "always-off" games.

Timonius Timonius said:

Almost everything you plug into an AC outlet draws power even if it is 'off'. But you make a very good point.

Yeah it's not cool how this guy is #dealingwiththepublic. People also overreact. Personally I think he's just trolling and perhaps M$ is behind it to gain attention.

All the people with zero cable internet are going to be pissed. Plus all the people who have Xbox in their cottages, etc... who now need internet to connect... lol

I know several people who use their Verizon Phones w/hot dock... as thousands of homes in his neighborhood only have Satellite, or Cell access to internet. Not even DSL... these are $300K houses, 20 miles from a major city.

I live 10miles from him and have had cable internet, since 1994...

So, always-on is bad business practice, it alienates you customers.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can honestly careless about the next gen consoles because they're going to be trash, but arrogance like this is just downright wrong and absolutely pathetic. I hope this schmuck gets fired and never finds a job again. Then he can deal with it. In regards to this always on DRM stupidity, your F-ing micro$oft, I'm sure you can come up with a better solution to "always on" or have you grown too fat lazy and bloated with time to think with your head and not your wallet. But alas this is all a waste of time, the masses will buy this new pos console when its launched, and you can bet in droves. I refuse to buy anything that needs internet to function, to me thats just a design flaw and or limitation, I spend too much time away from it to take that chance. One last time Adam Orth, your a chauvinist who doesn't deserve what you have, you should listen to your customers, not tell them to deal with it. One of these fan-boys may be crazy enough to find you, and heck knows what they'll want to do to you. But hey, just deal with it.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

1)Insult 75% of North America on Twitter

2)Make Twitter account private

Adam Orth is a douchebag, and unfortunately he's probably also a registered voter.

Mbloof said:

This whole thing is actually pretty funny. Imagine WIN8 having a 'always on' requirement - what would the masses do then?

MS has not 'officially' stated one way or the other on these 'issues', I think its all a marketing ploy to drum up free press - imagine how 'good' MS becomes if/when the new box does NOT require an always on internet connection?

Remember when 'everyone' wanted an iPhone and only AT&T offered it. If you had bad or no AT&T service in your area you were SOL. To some that made them WANT the silly device even more cause they could not get it. Don't have an 'always on internet connection'? There's always that SECOND CLASS box that Sony makes.