Weekend Open Forum: What's the last PC game you preordered?

By on April 5, 2013, 6:51 PM

Between the current console generation pulling overtime and the growing pains of digital monetization, I've been less confident about preordering PC games in recent years. Sometimes it's easy to spot the lousy ports with questionable ethics, other times you don't know you've been duped until you're past the point of no return.

Sticking with reputable developers isn't exactly foolproof either. For instance, BioWare earned plenty of praise for Dragon Age: Origin and then hastily shipped a sloppy sequel that disappointed many (most?) fans -- including me. What was the last PC game you preordered? Was it a major upset or did you get your money's worth?

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Bioshock Infinite. It came with Bioshock 1 and XCOM Enemy Unknown. I ended up getting all 3 games for $60.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Windows 7 is the only thing I have ever preordered. I'm a tightwad that waits for prices to fall, because I know that initially everything has an inflated price.

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

This is an easy one since the last time I pre-ordered a game, it was Fallout New Vegas and I did so purely to get the pre-order DLC which turned out to be a massive disappointment since I was given the regular version, not the pre-order version and pretty much told to shut up and bugger off when I complained. Then, I had the extra delight to find out that even though I'd bought a computer game by means of a physical medium, I was forced to install Steam to download and install the same bloody thing I'd bought on disk.

JC713 JC713 said:

Battlefield 3.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Warcraft 3, Collector's Edition, on the first day of the game's release. After that I didn't buy any, as I started feeling a bit old for computer games.

Chazz said:

Portal 2. Before that I don't remember. I don't really preorder games for the PC like I used to for PSone and PS2. I've yet to do it for PS3/XBOX 360 (I actually rarely buy games at all for consoles now.)

Would you believe Resident Evil 6? It's because on Steam we got a free copy of Resident Evil 5.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Same as Darkshadoe - Bioshock: Infinite with the original Bioshock and XCOM package. Very pleased with that purchase.

I used to preorder fairly regularly, but don't anymore. Got tired of being burned with some real crappy games from what used to be reputable "can't lose" producers. Crysis 2 and Silent Hunter 5 are a couple of examples.

SnipeD SnipeD said:

BattleField 4, Will it be worth it? Probably not but I get the preorder bonus and I got like 12% off so had to make the move while the gettin was good.

veLa veLa said:

CS:GO is the only game I've ever preordered, but the price was only $10-15 and I'm a pretty die hard Counter-Strike player. Usually I wait for games to have all the bugs and balance issues fixed as well as the price to be reduced significantly.

JC713 JC713 said:

I am waiting for the Beta to see.

mrtraver said:

Battlefield 3. I was OK with it, but suddenly got burned out on it a couple of months ago - I have not even touched the two latest expansions, even though I have them installed.

I don't see me ever buying anything at full retail launch price again, let alone pre-ordering at full price. My days of paying a hundred dollars for a full game experience (core game + expansions, without even a shiny disc to show for it) are done. There are so many quality free games out there or on the way that I am interested in and don't have time to play - MechWarrior Online, Star Conflict, Planetside 2, Tribes: Ascend, World of Warplanes, Freespace Open, Hawken to name a few. And like someone mentioned above, prices do drop. I just don't see me paying more than $20-$30 for any game again. I don't play online much any more, so I don't mind coming in several months later and being behind the majority of players.

treetops treetops said:

Heart of the swarm, bought it a few days before release so I could predownload it. Before that chivalry medieval warfare so I could play the beta. Before that diablo 3. Torchlight 2. Duke nukem forever. Starcraft 2.

3 people like this |
Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think I pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever after Gearbox picked it up. I was so excited, and then... well, I will never pre-order again.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Torchlight 2, two copies. I did get to play a few beta weekend before I did which did help my decision.

1 person liked this | Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Last PC game I pre-ordered was probably Diablo 3. I will probably never pre-order another PC game again.

psycros psycros said:

Have never pre-ordered anything and I never will. I can't even fathom why anyone would do this. Its not like you're going to get the game before anyone else, and you're probably paying *more*, not less - I can't remember the last time I saw a discount on an advance purchase. Besides, all the new PC games are terrible console ports with always-online DRM like Steam, so I pretty much don't buy any games now. Well, actually..I did sort of "pre-order" a game not too long ago. I donated to Wasteland 2 because Kickstarter seems to be the only hope remaining for the PC.

KidChaos said:

I guess it would be Diablo III; but not in a normal store pre-order sense. I bartered during development with one of the senior staff for some work I did. Made a phone call when it finally was released, got it overnight! Felt like a kid at Christmas May pre-order again, but it would have to be something near and dear to me. NOT anything CoD for sure.

JC713 JC713 said:

There are too many server hiccups with games that are overhyped on launch day.

JC713 JC713 said:

I am pretty pissed, I wouldn't have bought Black Ops 2, but my friend said he was and I wanted Nuketown. But, my friend quit CoD soon after and Nuketown is now free. Aint life somethin'.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If crowdfunding counts, I did "preorder" Star Citizen, as I donated enough to receive the full game when it comes out.

2 people like this | Guest said:

I've never preordered anything, I just wait till Steam sales :)

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Pre-orders are for people who have no clue what they're doing, sorry to be so direct, but that's just the way I see it.

misor misor said:

None. I don't pre-order games. I'm cheap so I wait for game prices to go down before I grab any game I like.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

BF3, and never again will I. I can just go Day 1 usually and get the limited edition anyway, such a waste to care and go.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Halo 4, and it was quite worth it.

To satisfy my childish side I pre orderer sonic all stars racing transformed. Damn I was felling the PC is almost only war, fps or medieval rpgs (that or pixel games), I totally needed a new game that would allow me to play online and have fun, a difrent game. I was actualy impressed, the game ir way better than I expected, its a really addicting game, and with online only gets better. Totally worth my money.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

None. I don't have the money to even play decent pc games T_T

Alvaro Alvaro said:

Arma 3. 100% worth it. Anything besides that I won't pre-order.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012). I even got a T-Shirt including DLCs when I bought it. This pre-order thing has its perks.

1 person liked this | mrcavooter mrcavooter said:

TrackMania 2 Stadium, but that is after I put in about 20 hours on the beta. It was only a whopping $9 on Steam. I would never pre-order a AAA title. $60 plus awfully common day 1 DLC is pretty pricey for this college student. That being said, I scrolled across this article looking for the Weekend Game deals, that's where I find my steals. Keep the inside scoop coming TS!

Scavengers Scavengers said:

Last one was Simcity. Worked out well in the end because I got a $20 Origin credit for the predorder and then a game for free (Picked Dead Space 3) because of Simcity's sloppy launch.

The one before that was Dead Island.

Dave

Demigod001 said:

Bioshock infinite on steam. as above simply because of the 2 games that came with it. Enjoying xcom much more then bio to be honest.

Before that assassins creed 3 simply because I like the Creed games and while some of aCreed3 was disappointing and disjointed it was still a fun game so I will probably pre order black flag though the prices are a bit stupid for even the basic edition at the moment.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Well I've preordered Duke Nukem Forever & Crysis 2 so I've learned my lesson, never again unless I'm 110% sure it is a good game.

Last game I preordered was Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm, great game.

Before that was actually Diablo III but on launch day I could not login, and due to some personal matters I have not played it since...

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Borderlands 2, and I do not regret it. Most games I'll wait until their price drops a little on steam, but getting it at the same time as my friends really enhanced the experience.

BlueDrake said:

I never really did preorder anything for myself, most things I have are sales / bundles. If anything that would be more of, in the way of gifts I would do such things. Especially if I see someone playing a beta, and they enjoy it or something I've been waiting for. IE: La-Mulana on Steam, well worth the price especially as a 'hatred' gift to friends. xD

Hope to see more enjoying it. ^^

Holyscrap said:

Shroud of The Avatar , :P.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Duke Nukem forever. That's the last time I do something so stupid. Now I wait for all games to come down in price before I jump in. I'm still awaiting Bioshock infinite to drop. Won't be too long now.

Twixtea said:

Guild Wars 2, mainly because of the beta weekends they offered for pre-orders

Normally I am against pre-ordering; however, when TellTale came with a new series of Sam and Max, I had to pre-order the entire season.

You crack me up, little buddy!

gusmax said:

Battlefield 3

sapo joe said:

Bioshock Infinite....

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Pre-ordered Borderlands 2 for about $33. (was kind of a gamble from a shady website but it worked 100% on steam!)

Duke nukem forever

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Simcity and Diablo 3 were the last games I pre-ordered, and I should have learned my lesson with Diablo 3. Simcity is a huge disappointment.

Renrew Renrew said:

None ever .

soulsassassin said:

Why you need to preorder a Game when guys like SkIDROW RAZOR and RELOADED around

Dungeon Siege III. And it will be the last. What a POS.