Google will deactivate Glass if early owners sell or loan the device

By on April 18, 2013, 9:30 AM

As anticipated, we’re beginning to see a number of Google Glass user videos hit the web as the very first prototypes are finding new homes. Naturally, the lure to sell the ultra-rare spectacles for a quick profit is no doubt there but think twice before doing so as the practice is against Google’s terms of service.

What’s more, Google doesn’t even allow owners to loan, transfer or give the device to any other person. The company’s TOS points out that they reserve the right to deactivate the device with neither the buyer nor the seller entitled to any sort of refund, product support or product warranty. Google will know if ownership transfers as the eyewear is registered under the buyer’s Google account.

The stipulations may sound a bit strict but you have to remember that most of the software we paid for and use on a daily basis isn’t actually ours: it’s rented.

Google, a company that generates 95 percent of their revenue from advertising, insists that developers creating Glassware may not serve or include any advertisements in their apps. Furthermore, developers aren’t allowed to charge others to download apps for Glass (at least, not at this stage in the game).

Google released the terms of service alongside information about the Mirror API earlier this week. That happened on the same day that Google revealed tech specifications on Glass. If you missed those, the headset includes a 5-megapixel camera, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 12GB of usable memory and a bone conduction transducer.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Pretty sure if google pulled a stunt like that in the UK it would be all over the news and the courts would get involved and Google would lose.

I don't understand though, these things were expensive, how on earth can they get away saying the software was "leased"??

And what will the do with the people who DRIVE wearing these things? If you thought people who drive and text were bad on the roads.....

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Have no intention of getting one of these, but I can see some goobs walking around in Barns & Noble or at the mall with them on like they are the coolest lol. ******.

1 person liked this | Nima304 said:

I'd be more interested if I could add my prescription lenses to them. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to see anything at all while wearing these.

Alvaro Alvaro said:

Your eyes will still be on the road and your hands on the wheel.

Alvaro Alvaro said:

That would be great. I think they come with interchangeable lenses, so probably a company will start making prescription lenses for Glass.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A product that can be deactivated, no thank you.

Is there anyone here that thinks, selling or loaning a product should render it useless?

Nima304 said:

A product that can be deactivated, no thank you.

I'd agree, but think about the reason they have them. I'm sure when the full product comes out, you'll be able to resell it. Given that this is a beta test, and that those who buy the product from beta testers aren't locked into a contract that the beta testers are, Google wants the product to remain in the same hands it gave them to.

MilwaukeeMike said:

A product that can be deactivated, no thank you.

No, not at all, but I'd bet they've got a unique reason for it. Perhaps because Glass isn't finished yet they're worried about bad press. What if a decent hacker bought one and then published how easy it was to get into your google account through it. Or maybe some website buys one and takes it apart to find flaws or something.

Even if Google does this for every brand new gadget they make it still won't affect many people. Most companies don't give early releases at all. Apple doesn't even tell us about a device until it's ready to sell.

Ravik Ravik said:

As soon as they can embed this into a pair of Oakley sunglasses...call me Adam Jensen, but I'm buyin' me a pair!

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

How about a pair of regular glasses... think INSIDE... lol

2 people like this | Guest said:

What's great about Google glasses is that when you're driving and reading a text or getting GPS directions, as soon as you get into an accident, ads will pop up telling you where to get insurance, a tow truck, auto repairs, etc.

What's great about Google glasses is that when you're driving and reading a text or getting GPS directions, as soon as you get into an accident, ads will pop up telling you where to get insurance, a tow truck, auto repairs, the nearest hospital...etc.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hahaha, I can actually see this very clearly.

They want you to know where to go in case of any issues you may encounter. The fact that you will not remember 6 months later is irrelevant.

Ravik Ravik said:

How about a pair of regular glasses

Don't get me wrong...that'd be nice as well, but the only time I would truly benefit from having visual augmentation is when I was out-and-about. For everything else I has me trusty ol' smartphone!

All the distracted people checking their Facebook using Google glasses...oh the horror!!!

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

How about a pair of regular glasses

Dont get me wrong... just keep using your trusty ol' smartphone then! lol I think for most people normal prescription glasses makes more sense. You can also get them so they tent. Yes. I own the Carbon Fiber Oakleys.... so, I agree with you there on the Oakleys. lol Their sunglasses are mostly bulky and horribly tacky in style, IMO. I guess some of them are alright...

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

How about a pair of regular glasses

I meant to say, Carbon Plate Rx glasses.

What now? Should it be like our personal animal tag? Why do I feel like this is worse than one-user-only software?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Normally, I'd give that a resounding "NO, NEVER"!

But, IMHO, the threat of having it summarily deactivated, should be "all part of the ripoff".

If Google's "Children" are dumb enough to buy this crap, then Google, "as a parent", should have the discretion of taking it away from them..

In child rearing parlance, this is known as a, "time out".....:p