Razer launches standalone 'Comms' platform with in-game overlay

By on April 23, 2013, 4:00 PM

Razer has rolled out a public beta for their new all-in-one communications solution for gamers, dubbed Razer Comms. The new service combines a VoIP client, instant messaging and IRC-chat features to offer gamers all over the world a way of communicating with each other without losing focus on whatever they’re playing.

The Windows-only application supports one-to-one chats as well as group discussions via voice or text, but the real highlight is the ability to do this with an in-game overlay that’s said to seamlessly integrate with PC games. Users can set this overlay to display either a small window or smaller ticker that shows who's speaking.

Download: Razer Comms for Windows

Razer also promises an ultra-fast server infrastructure and complex audio algorithms for noise reduction and echo cancellation to give you the most precise, crisp and clear communication with no time-outs or lag spikes.

Of course, many multiplayer games released today already have chat functionality baked in, not to mention platforms like Steam that support the feature across its entire game library. But Razer believes gamers will still be interested in a game-agnostic solution that’ll take on similar third party options like Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

The service reportedly originated as an internal project built on the spare "10 percent passion time" of a couple of Razer engineers. But after receiving many requests to make it widely available, the company says it made the decision to turn Comms into a fully supported project with a designated team working on it.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Enjoy your typical razer half-assed xfire clone

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

I've never been impressed with Razer software. But, I think I'll try this out since I NEED a alternative to TS and vent.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

Enjoy your typical razer half-assed xfire clone

Gotta love the typical guest response...

I agree that Razers software isn't the most advance thing out there, but I gotta hand it to them on this one. I downloaded it last night and tested it out with a few of my buddies and we all enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure there are some glitches with the in game overlay when you hit Ctrl+tab, but that's to be expected with Beta software.

On a side note has anyone ever tried Adobe Axon?

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Why do you need an alternative? TS is great. I feel like Razer fails at their software as you said.

Awsome, now the only problem is getting online friends worth talking to.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

You forgot to mention that they tend to fail pretty often at the hardware level as well.

j05hh j05hh said:

I have used Razer headsets, keyboards, and mice for my gaming pc. Not one piece of their hardware has failed. This software looks promising, I agree with the similarity of xfire though.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

"Of course, many multiplayer games released today already have chat functionality baked in, not to mention platforms like Steam that support the feature across its entire game library."

I think about this every time I play Battlefield 3 with my friends and we have to use Steam chat or Skype. Amazing work DICE/EA...

tehbanz tehbanz said:

Seriously, check out Mumble, it's the best VoIP software I have used to date! The voice quality is super crisp (Switching from vent to mumble was mind blowing) and they have in-game overlays so you can see which person in the channel is talking (great if you're letting a newcomer into your mumble server)

JC713 JC713 said:

I use TS for BF3. The main point is I also use TS while playing Planetside 2, despite it having a great VOIP system. TS is just more convenient.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I thought you have to pay for a TS channel

JC713 JC713 said:

I thought you have to pay for a TS channel

Yeah, my group of friends split the cost. It uses less recourses than Steam or Skype and uses less bandwidth (than skype). I only have 4 GB of RAM so that little gain helps.

1 person liked this | PinothyJ said: