Xbox 720 coming in November for $499, less with Xbox Live subsidy

By on April 25, 2013, 5:30 PM

Longtime Microsoft blogger Paul Thurrott recently published a blog post sharing his thoughts on Microsoft’s planned unveiling of the next generation Xbox. In it, he said Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console: a standalone version for $499 and another that will sell for $299 that requires a two-year Xbox Live Gold commitment ($10 per month for 24 months).

Thurrott correctly pegged the May 21 reveal date nearly a month earlier on Twitter which shows credibility, if nothing else. He originally said Microsoft would unveil the new console on April 24 but changed his prediction to May 21 back in March. Interestingly enough, April 24 is the date that Microsoft announced the May event.

The date was pushed back so Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, he said. Full details on the next Xbox (including the launch lineup) will take place just ahead of the E3 trade show in early June. The console is expected to be a hot topic at this year’s Build conference in late June as well.

The blogger said the next Xbox is based on the core version of Windows 8 which suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is very similar to Windows 8. Contrary to previous rumors, Microsoft won’t offer a stripped down entertainment-oriented version of the console.

To further stir the pot, Thurrott believes the next Xbox will indeed require an Internet connection to use. This has been a topic of hot debate as of late, although he said it isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

The official name of the console is also still up for debate but he said he would be surprised if Microsoft didn’t just called it “Xbox.” Either way, he believes we will see the new console hit store shelves in November – just in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.

So, seeing as the UK is too lazy to do an exchange rate conversion, and just slaps the US numbers on with a £ sign, we are looking easily at £500, for the console, which would be useless without the xbox live ? so £540? Which if they did convert, would be £325, and £350.

Could anyone tell me what the yearly cost of xbox live gold is in the US ? In the UK you pay on average £35? about £3 a month. But again I see the $10 a month being £10 a month. Which even when converted is £6.50, and twice the price of live at the moment. And I don't care what people say about PSN vs Live, I have never had an issue with PSN servers, I pay for PSN plus, I get a shed load of games for free, and yet I get nothing from Xbox, their sales are pants. I hate M$ with a passion for their cheap lazy arse box of crap which gives me nothing.

All its good for is CoD fans, and lets face it, that hasn't go better since Modern Warfare 1.

Lurker101 said:

This is a brilliant idea by Mircosoft. Bring out a $500 games console while the West is in an economic shitpit and Japans currency is as weak as a vegans handshake.

windmill007 said:

Wow that's expensive. Uhhhhh no thanks.

The only reason why they would't call it a XBOX 720 is because some twits wanted to push their "brilliant" ideas. The corporate world is full of twits.

JC713 JC713 said:

I can build a PC for $500 that will outperform that garbage. I Feel like the cost of xbox live is a selling point for the PS4. They should exploit that in their advertising.

howzz1854 said:

Unless Xbox Live subscription also buys you HBO subscription, Netflix sub, Hulu Sub, and Amazon Sub, why should a gamer pay to play with friends online. it's 21st century, I don't get it.

1 person liked this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

"Requires internet connection" ... "not Draconian". These phrases don't belong together in the same sentence.

Chazz said:

Wow, the negative rumor mill has really been spinning about this console. I'm very curious to see what is unveiled.

No actually you probably can't. You can build a decent computer but it probably won't be superior to the hardware in the new xbox. It would be close, but that price point probably ensures that microsoft gets a damn good deal on it's hardware components by building millions of these things. This isn't taking into account which is a better platform. I myself will contend that the PC is a better device in general than a console, and I'd bet my 1,400 dollar computer I built this year is probably superior to the latest incarnation of the xbox but we really don't know just yet.

I'm interested in seeing what the latest xbox platform will have to offer but I don't think I'll be trading in my pc anytime soon.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

BS! Unless the $300 one is less powerful, only an ***** would buy the $500 one! ($300 + 2 years of live = $540. $500 + 2 years of live ~= $660 (2x$80, assuming it would be cheaper if you found a deal))

I'm not listening to any bozos until it is second hand knowledge from the press event in May!

Edit: Lol, id!ot is apparently a bad word ;P

1 person liked this | hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Edit: Lol, id!ot is apparently a bad word ;P

I know right. People get sooooo upset when you call them one, it just doesn't make any sense.

Prosercunus said:

Although naturally I am going to wait a year to a year in half before I choose a next gen console (Just because I despise empty library's) and longer depending, I still think I am leaning toward Sony.

I am still taking a wait and see stance. I am primarily a PC Gamer so I can wait as long as needed.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Wow, this makes the PS4 more promising. $10 a month online is the same as what they charge now anyway. As long as we can pay $40 a year, then it won't be much different compared to the 360.

Emexrulsier said:

To be fair that price aint really much different to when the 360 was released. Also the current Live cost is not 10$ a month as stated (nor is their plans by MS to increase this with the new console). It costs $50 a year and with a bit of hunting on ebay etc you can get it closer to $40 around around $3.50.

Puiu Puiu said:

Still no free basic Live... what in the hell is MS thinking? First Windows 8, then Blue now this? It seems they have no clear view of the future and are just pissing all over us thinking we'll still buy anything they throw at us (and I'm sure we will) .

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

The hardware itself doesn't make the profit margins Microsoft would like, It's the xbox live membership that's the big money spinner but then Sony also has it's PSN which is just as farcical and to hell with both of them and their consoles. If I can't play games on a pc then I just don't play games at all, simple as that. The only good thing I can see coming out for us pc gamers is that both new consoles are x86 based which should mean more games and better ports.

spencer spencer said:

This makes me laugh, one of my xbl friends claims pcs have worse graphics, aren't upgradeable and only nerdy rich dorks play on gaming pcs. Meanwhile playing crysis 3 on an xbox yelling LAGG.lol

Who cares if you CAN build a PC for $500 that *may* be as/more powerful than the next gen consoles? It'll only be as good as or better than the new consoles for a year or so, just like it was with the last gen. Not only that, PC gets the shaft when it comes to games, unless you like playing the endless supply of snore inducing RTS games on PC or the garbage F2P games.

I'm a PC gamer now but will definitely be going back to console with this next gen. I've had it with PC and the horrible variety of games.

mrcavooter mrcavooter said:

YES!!! Good morning, made me chuckle in the library.

1 person liked this | Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Thank you for your posting. I needed a good laugh today.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

Wow a lot of misinformed people and stupid comments here.

How do you build a pc for $500.00 that games? Solitare maybe. I paid $500.00 for my video card

And if you know any math at all xbox live @ $10.00 x 24 months =$240.00+299 = $539.00 so you pay $39.00 for 2 years xbox live. Add you really don't pay that you save about $18.00 to $20.00 on tax vs 499.00

xplayer xplayer said:

Ok guys 700$ is waiting in my pocket for that am ready for any price they want

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Ok guys 700$ is waiting in my pocket for that am ready for any price they want

Why hello there, Microsoft Xbox 720 target market!

Emexrulsier said:

Like mentioned you maybe able to make a pc for 500 but it sure as hell aint going to beat the next xbox, hell a 500$ pc even struggles on current games on decent settings. I am a devoted pc gamer and know its an expensive hobby if I want to beat modern consoles I know I have to throw $1000s at it. I know bang for buck a console owns a pc but it will always been leagues behind a high end pcs performance.

$5/month (3.82?) is what we're paying now. Yeah, it would appear that M$ intends to double the price for LIVE. I'm getting really tired of paying for this.

Puiu Puiu said:

It's pretty much a given that 500$ current gen PC's can't beat the next generation of consoles (although we still don't know how powerful xbox 720 is yet). It won't be true in 3-5 years, but for now it's a better purchase if you want gaming. If you want much more than gaming then just buy a PC.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Games have a lot to do with it. $500 PC gamer can pick up endless amounts of AAA titles for an average price of <$10 on Steam. Console games here are $20 in the bargain bin.

Glycerin said:

Is this really going to be called 720? Does anyone else think the name is stupid?

Puiu Puiu said:

It's all about preferences, not all games are on steam and vice-versa. And you also know how shitty the ports are

But if you want to play AAA games with high/ultra details then you need much more than a 500$ PC. Hence the console recommendation if you can't afford a more expensive, albeit much more useful PC.

I'm pretty sure that if you are lucky and you know what you are doing, you can build your own gaming PC that does well in most games at 1080p for about 6-700$ (with games like BF3 and Far Cry 3 under the 60fps mark but still playable at max details). But not many can build their own PC's (much less overclock them) and we all know how branded PC's are so expensive.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Just because you play on PC doesn't mean you need to max all details. As long as you can play on Medium or Low, you're on-par with consoles AND you have a working PC for productivity. Therefore, you're ahead.

xplayer xplayer said:

Why hello there, Microsoft Xbox 720 target market!

to be honest they deserve it because ill have fun with it with all my family for over 5 years I think 500$ to 700$ is not too much these days one iPhone that is do nothing for you compared to xbox360 costs more than that

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

Then you can't say that it has better graphics than consoles and other gaming goodies that come along with having more powerful components, thus a better gaming machine.

I agree with you about playing on medium. Hell, I enjoy playing on a laptop more than on a desktop PC, but I do lick my lips whenever I see a new trailer that shows a new cool game engine. I avoid buying some games, or I buy on steam just so that I can play them after I buy a better laptop/PC. Playing games on high/ultra has some meaning for me, because I feel that it's the way developers wanted us to enjoy it. (think Crysis - but most games are just fine on low/medium details)