Google releases how-to video to help users get ready for Glass

By on April 30, 2013, 6:30 PM

There are a lot of varying opinions floating around the Internet about Google’s Project Glass from early adopters who were lucky enough to get their hands on a set, but regardless of how you feel about it, Google is turning a lot of heads with the technology.

The Glass heads-up display, or HUD, is unique from anything presently in the consumer space, which is probably why Google is taking care to ease us into this new tech with what is likely to be the first of many how-to videos. In “Glass How-To: Getting Started,” we’re shown how to navigate through the UI using gestures on the touchpad located on the side of the device.

These videos showing otherwise rudimentary tasks are made far more interesting by the unusual augmented reality platform. That we need a video to explain how to navigate left and right through the user interface is a testament to how forward thinking this product from Google’s X Lab is.

There are still a lot of barriers to address before Glass is ready for adoption by the masses. If you think it’s awkward standing next to someone with a Bluetooth headset while they seemingly talk to themselves, you may not like where this is going. Check out the video below and share your thoughts in the comments.

1 person liked this | Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was really looking forward to glass until I saw this... I'm not so sure I want to be seen out in public tapping the hell out of the side of my face.

MilwaukeeMike said:

If you think it?s awkward standing next to someone with a Bluetooth headset while they seemingly talk to themselves, you may not like where this is going.

Yes, I think it's awkward. Glass sort of reminds me of a guy I see in the common area of my work some mornings. He's sitting at his laptop at a table facing the large area between the entrance and the elevators where everyone passes. Whenever I've seen him, he's looking up, never at his screen. He's not working, he's people watching. With Glass we won't be wondering who someone is talking to (like with a bluetooth headset), we'll be wondering who, or what they're looking at. And if they're facing us, we'll wonder if they're looking at us, and then we'll wonder if the camera is on.

Makes me glad I'm not a hot chick.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just wait till you hear someone say the words "My Precious". lol Because you know there will be someone, that thinks they can rule the world with these things.

They're going to charge $1,500 for the first run of these things? for what? weather, pictures, and google+? Not to mention that battery pack hanging off the side of your head. I assumed it would be something you could mount to your actual glasses but this just looks ridiculous. Refine this commercial flop.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I want these, they look cool, but yea I agree, I hope they have more features and phone compatibility.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Cool. Now I can stand directly behind some knucklehead stranger using these things & see exactly what they're seeing. I wonder if they'll be offended if do the tapping & swiping for them if I find what they're looking at uninteresting.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Phone compatibility? I could be totally wrong about this, but I think you need an android phone to use Glass. If I remember right, Glass uses bluetooth to communicate with your phone, and your phone does all the heavy lifting. This way you won't need antennas in the glasses, and you can use a smaller battery.

WARNING when using Google glass

-When wearing this may lead people convinced you're in a deep serious mental health because you always said "ok, glass"

-Do not stare into the Sun while wearing Google glass as this may cause temporary blindness and/or future sight. If future sight does occur, please use your new power for good.

MannerMauler said:

Makes me glad I'm not a hot chick.

same here, Haha.