IMAX's Private Home Theater brings the big screen to you

By on May 2, 2013, 5:30 PM

If you’ve got a cool million or two lying around and you want the ultimate in home theater entertainment, look no further than IMAX. The company recently announced plans to offer a select few the opportunity to bring the IMAX experience right to the comforts of their own home via a custom-designed, private home theater.

It’s unclear if the “select few” is in reference to a limited number of installs available or the fact that few could afford to own what IMAX describes as the world’s most immersive and luxurious entertainment experience.

IMAX will design every aspect of the private theater – from their renowned projection and sound technology to the room acoustics and theater geometry – to work as a fully integrated solution optimized specifically for each install. The team works directly with your architects, developers, interior designers and custom installers to ensure everything is built to IMAX’s exacting performance standards while catering to your specific design preferences.

Once the system is installed, there won’t be any further work required on your part. That’s because the system is connected to their Commercial Service Center with 24/7/365 remote monitoring. If something does go down, IMAX promises a response time of less than five minutes. There’s also preventative maintenance, performance tuning and on-the-ground support – all free of charge, of course.

Outside of Hollywood A-listers, we can’t imagine there are too many people that would be willing to throw down this kind of dough for a home theater system. Either way, however, it’s nice to see something like this finally being offered in the home.

Is there any info on whether this set-up provides the buyer with access to a full media library or is that something they have to build on their own? I would think that the IMAX experience would be hard to emulate from a BR disc and would require the theatrical film versions to be truly worthwhile. Some more notes on what this actually entails would have been nice. I mean the hardware is fun to talk about and all but without the proper media it is kind of pointless, like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini with no gas.

Additional info to add to my previous post:

"Those lucky customers will get an IMAX-designed theater with "proprietary, state-of-the-art dual 4K projection system" in 2D and 3D, a "custom, patented surround-sound system. These private IMAX screens don't look quite as jumbo as the ones seen in theaters, but they will have the same floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall, curved design to help provide "the most immersive movie experience in the world." And should any of these elements run into trouble, IMAX will also offer 24/7/365 maintenance and support services with a 5-minute response time."

Source: slashfilm article, imax-introduces-home-theater-systems

2 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

$2,000,000 to waste. And what do you get for this?

1. A good 4K 3D Projector that's not better than this one: [link]

2. A sound system worth 20-30K or so;

3. A big-ass white sheet, quite cheap

4. A few sits.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I do agree with you, but a do it yourself doesn't come with a service plan either. lol

I'm wondering what kind of services and how many are available.

JC713 JC713 said:

This is pretty cool, but as VitalyT said, it is not work 2 million bucks.

DKRON said:

I emailed them

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

This is pretty cool, but as VitalyT said, it is not work 2 million bucks.

Careful quoting me, or IMAX may read it and decide, well, Ok, we will install this thing for him with a good 10% discount then!

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If what you say is true, they would need to give a 95% discount for a 100K price tag.

2 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

If they game me a 99% discount, I still wouldn't buy it. I don't have 20K for a home cinema

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I might have 2K to throw at it. What are the odds they would give a 99.9% discount?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I would petition for an official inquiry to find out

The most I ever spent on this kind of stuff was to buy DELL U3014 couple weeks ago. Great product, but it still hurts my wallet that's now empty.

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

I'm wondering what kind of services and how many are available.

IMAX is hiring qualified private contractors on the following positions:

- Popcorn sales person;

- Glasses dispenser person;

- Cinema cleaner;

1 person liked this | Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I worked on a few home theatres about

$2,000,000 to waste. And what do you get for this?

1. A good 4K 3D Projector that's not better than this one: [link]

2. A sound system worth 20-30K or so;

3. A big-ass white sheet, quite cheap

4. A few sits.

I never understand why people think a white sheet is all you need for a screen. A proper projector screen makes a huge difference between a picture and a picture worth watching.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Nobody really said that here However, based on prices one pays for projector screens today...

It is all of course individual. If you want a screen from Draper and pay the top dollar for it, you can do it, but buying a screen from Draper is the same as buying this cinema from IMAX, prices would be just as reasonable.

I think the following is a very cheap example: [link]

Once you go for a bigger size, Draper thinks it is ok to multiply the price 10-100 times, same mindset as IMAX, I guess.

1 person liked this | Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Very true, personally If I had that kind of cash I'd get a highend a/v shop to build on for me for a lot less (I actually used to work for one years ago). As for the screen, I actually always liked the look/performance of the Stewart screens to the Drapers.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I refuse to spend money on the "IMAX" versions of movies that weren't shot on IMAX cameras. And very few films actually use them. I can only think of one coming out this year that was actually shot on IMAX

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

I can only think of one coming out this year that was actually shot on IMAX

I can't think of any, but I can Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_films

Or, the latest ones: [link]

The last one lists 26 movies made and in the making in 2013

Emexrulsier said:

Sure you can get a cheap 4K projector but it doesnt come close to a true imax projector which for 2mil they should be providing (or else its hardly imax). I bet a pair of them (for 3D) could set you back 1 mil?

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Or, the latest ones: [link]

The last one lists 26 movies made and in the making in 2013

Some overrated films I'd love to catch up on this IMAX home theater are James Cameron's Avatar and The Dark Knight which was shot on IMAX cam I believe.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Would that really be a prerequisite, to getting a good IMAX experience with this home theater?

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I guess not. But what the hell, I just love these films.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I'll take two thank you very much.

To: VitalyT

"$2,000,000 to waste. And what do you get for this?"

"Seriously, it all doesn't cost more than 100K. It's just for those who got 10 times more money than sense."

It means that 'IMAX' brand/logo is worth for $1.9 million LoL..

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

A cheap projector, is that a joke? I gave the link to the top of the line 3D 4K projector that's on sale today. If you missed it, here's the link again: [link]

And you don't need two of them, just one will offer the best home experience with 4K and 3D.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was wondering why you would need 2 projectors, but in my ignorance decided to remain quiet.

audiphile said:

That Sony only puts out about 2000 lumens, which is fine if you're projecting in a small room, but I think the IMAX system would likely include be one of their custom Barco which is a lot more expensive than that cheap Sony and puts at least 20000-30000 lumens

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I get what you are saying, but this is a home theater. Why would you need anything more than a small room for a home theater. Is catering to a small crowd, not the intended use of this theater setup?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Barco projectors are for a whole cinema, not for something to have at home. But then again, this is likely what IMAX claims to achieve for the rich people. Still, even Barco 4K 3D projectors (Galaxy 4K-23 and Galaxy 4K-32) aren't that expensive, just a little north of 100K.

For the record, world-class red-carpet premiers are done in cinemas that may utilize two Barco Galaxy 4K-32 for (active?) better 3D effect.

If you read this: [link]

You will find first of all about the real cost...

Don Kempf, of Giant Screen Films and D3D Cinema, said that hardware costs for a giant-screen theater range from about $125,000 to $450,000, but can be as low as $50,000 to $100,000 for a non-DCI-compliant system in a small auditorium.

And that extremes are always possible...

Lantz agreed that 8K was not overkill in that situation. "A dome is a lot hungrier for pixels." Hoddick said that Barco has done installations that edge-blended as many as 30 projectors.

But none of these are applicable to a home theater. You will be very lucky if you get one Barco 4K-23 from IMAX, and in fact perhaps this is exactly what you will get. That projector itself is around 100K, give or take, and will make the most expensive piece for a huge home theater, which is still nowhere close to the 2 million IMAX wants for the installation.

P.S. The following two chapters are most interesting in that article:

Panel: The business of digital

Panel: Future of Cinema Tech

Then you think, it was 2011, so it must be much so nowadays.