US federal officials warn about corporate sabotage cyberattacks

By on May 13, 2013, 5:30 PM
cyber attack, corporate sabotage

Officials from the US government are warning of another wave of cyberattacks primarily targeting American corporations, reports the New York Times. Unlike the statements concerning Chinese cyber-espionage issued by the Pentagon in its recent report to Congress, these attacks are purportedly an effort to sabotage, officials say.

The sources are yet unknown, but are believed to originate from somewhere in the Middle East. Furthermore, it isn’t known whether the cyberattacks are state-sponsored, or the work of hackers or criminals. The attacks have mainly targeted energy companies and have thus far appeared to be probes searching for vulnerabilities that would grant access to processing systems.

“We are concerned by these intrusions, and we are trying to make sure they don’t lead to something much bigger, as they did in the Saudi case,” said an unnamed senior official to the New York Times. He was referring to the attack on Saudi Aramco, one of the world’s largest oil producers, in 2012, which affected 30,000 computers. The hackers in that incident claimed they attacked the company in retribution for its “oppressive measures” in the Middle East.

These new attacks are reminiscent of the Saudi case, and are unusual when compared to the string of cases that have been in the news lately, because they seek to cause damage rather than steal intellectual property. In that regard they are akin to the Stuxnet/Flame worm used by the United States and Israel to target and disrupt Iran’s nuclear enrichment plants.

The US government decided to release the warning once it became clear how deeply the attackers had managed to penetrate the affected systems. According to one official, one of the systems that was compromised is used to manage chemical processes.

yRaz yRaz said:

I like how more people commented on Google's 15gb of cloud storage than this. Cyber security and warfare should be an ever increasing concern as we move more to the cloud.

Misagt said:

I don't keep anything of importance on the cloud and try to keep all my important information backed up on several hard drives... although I can't say this are always up today.

I do agree it is sad that most people don't even notice that important private info could be very easily accessed from the cloud.

yRaz yRaz said:

I don't think you realize it, but everything that you are is saved on the cloud. Your credit card and banking info, mortgage payments, bills, absolutely everything is saved online. Its not about having a few pictures or documents saved in Gmail. The world uses the cloud for everything. Do you think your newegg payment info is stored in a file cabinet somewhere?

cloud storage has become a general term for data stored on the internet, but take a second to think about it. How many internet services do you use? Using your credit card at the gas station is no different than ordering from Amazon. I could go on but I hope you get the point. This is way bigger than any of us want to give it credit for.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

US federal officials warn about corporate sabotage cyberattacks
When I see that phrase, I see the US federal officials warning us just how dangerous they themselves can be. In my mind there is no difference in federal officials and corporate.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I was going to post my rubbish about this being a scam for the US to launch in infiltrating attack to dig up info on our own soil. But only a crazy nut like me would believe something so ridiculous. Uncle Sam doesn't lie, right?

Because cloud storage is nothing more then servers with advanced methods for data distribution. It still comes down to what has and what will continue to run the world; servers.

distantreality said:

Simple solution take yer main crap off the internet lol