Latest Google Easter Egg lets you play Breakout in your browser

By on May 14, 2013, 7:22 AM
google, steve wozniak, steve jobs, easter egg, atari, breakout

Google is once again up to their usual antics with a new Easter Egg. In celebration of the 37-year-old arcade game Breakout, the search giant takes us on a trip down memory game by allowing Google Image Search users to play the hit Atari game right within their browser.

To activate the hidden feature, simply navigate to Google Images and perform a search for Atari Breakout. Small thumbnails of the search results are used as the blocks in the game. If you clear all of the blocks in a series, you’ll move on to new levels that use random photos instead. Naturally, users are invited to share their score with others via Google+.

If you are unfamiliar, Breakout is an arcade game developed by Atari in April 1976. The title, marketed as a single player version of Pong that uses a ball to smash bricks, was conceptualized by Nolan Bushnell and Steve Bristow. A young Steve Jobs was tasked with creating a prototype of the game which he promised would be ready in just four days.

Jobs offered to split his $750 earnings with Steve Wozniak, a Hewlett-Packard employee at the time. The Woz was known for being able to produce designs with a small number of chips. Based on Jobs’ description, Wozniak finished the prototype in four days time using only 42 TLL (transistor-transistor logic) chips.

Unfortunately Atari was unable to use Wozniak’s design as it was too compact and too complicated to manufacture. Instead they went with a version that used 100 TTL chips. The gameplay, however, was identical to the version that Wozniak produced.

1 person liked this | Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Pretty random, 2nd level was Mount Kilimanjaro and then it gave me Boiled Eggs, wish I had this a couple years ago, I would have wasted so much time at work playing this.

TheDreams TheDreams said:

Bloody brilliant haha, I love this game :P

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

What it lacks, is the Atari, "Paddle Controller". I have an Atari 2600 game collection for the PC, which contains breakout. Twisting the rudder on a joy stick seemed to nonlinear and skittish. I never developed the rhythm I could have with the paddles, and gave up on it.

Disclaimed; The opinions expressed here are those of a criminally insane non gamer. I suppose it remains to be seen, if y'all believe one factor is predicated on the other.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Gee, thanks Google. Now I've wasted another half-hour on the Internet and forgot why I opened up my browser, for the 3rd time today!

Fun game =)

Picked up a pristine condition 2600, loooooooooove playing this game with the paddles.

Elian Manzueta Elian Manzueta said:

Haha! I saw this on Reddit yesterday! I loved playing it, really entertaining.

-Elian

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Atari reissued the 2600 in time for Christmas a few years back. I was sorely tempted.

avoidz avoidz said: