Samsung shipped six million Galaxy S4s in less than three weeks

By on May 16, 2013, 2:30 PM
samsung, smartphone, shipments, galaxy s4

Korean tech giant Samsung is well on their way to setting new records with the recently released Galaxy S 4 smartphone. An unnamed Samsung executive recently told a Korean newspaper that the company supplied four million Galaxy S4 handsets to telecoms around the world at the end of April.

As of May 10, Samsung said they have sold more than six million units and could easily top the 10 million mark by the end of this month. That’s pretty impressive for a smartphone that didn’t begin shipping until April 26 and is outpacing previous Samsung launches by a large margin. But how does it stack up to previous launches?

In 2010, it took Samsung 85 days to ship three million Galaxy SI handsets. A year later the company was able to ship three million Galaxy SIIs in 55 days and in 2012 it took just 21 days to move three million Galaxy SIIIs. And for 2013, it took just 19 days to move six million Galaxy S 4s.

As Information Week points out, Samsung can credit the continued growth to a strong marketing push and distribution agreements. True enough, the Galaxy S 4 hit all four of the major wireless carriers in the US and is even available from regional telecoms like US Cellular and Cricket. It starts at $199 and goes up to $249 – depending on storage capacity - with a two year agreement on most carriers. Or if you want to skip subsidies and pick up an S 4 with a clean install of Android, Google has you covered starting next month for $649.




User Comments: 11

Got something to say? Post a comment
JC713 JC713 said:

Impressive.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I was a fan of the HTC one until I went to the store and actually saw both in person and the Galaxy s4 is really impressive.

JC713 JC713 said:

I was a fan of the HTC one until I went to the store and actually saw both in person and the Galaxy s4 is really impressive.

I gotta see both in person. I have stepped in the Verizon store since I bought my iPhone in September.

MilwaukeeMike said:

I was a fan of the HTC one until I went to the store and actually saw both in person and the Galaxy s4 is really impressive.

I gotta see both in person. I have stepped in the Verizon store since I bought my iPhone in September.

Well, Verizon will make the decision easy on you as they don't carry the HTC One.

I bought an HTC One from T-mobile, and it's a great phone. I can't speak to the cool things about the S4, but there's no doubt it's also a great phone. There are countless comparisons online, but for me the two things that were surprising about the HTC One were the stereo front speakers and the automatic highlight videos it makes from your pictures and videos. Loud, clear front speakers are great while using your phone as a GPS in your car, and it can pass as a means to stream music and play loudly.

As for the highlight videos.... the first time you see one you will almost definitely be surprised at how cool it is. There are probably examples online, and it's a very cool feature if you take a lot of pics/videos of people... like if you have a young child for example.

JC713 JC713 said:

Well, Verizon will make the decision easy on you as they don't carry the HTC One.

I bought an HTC One from T-mobile, and it's a great phone. I can't speak to the cool things about the S4, but there's no doubt it's also a great phone. There are countless comparisons online, but for me the two things that were surprising about the HTC One were the stereo front speakers and the automatic highlight videos it makes from your pictures and videos. Loud, clear front speakers are great while using your phone as a GPS in your car, and it can pass as a means to stream music and play loudly.

As for the highlight videos.... the first time you see one you will almost definitely be surprised at how cool it is. There are probably examples online, and it's a very cool feature if you take a lot of pics/videos of people... like if you have a young child for example.

I really like HTCs custom OS tweaks, but the One itself doesnt impress me that much in terms of aesthetics. I dont really like the full length speakers in the front, plus, there are awkward metallic lines in the back that dont appeal to me. It is by far, the best non-Samsung Android yet, but I just dont dig it (from pictures).

Guest said:

An unnamed "Samsung Executive" ? Are these shipped to retailers? It is not a record if the number is not officially announced by Samsung. This is just some number pulled out of a hat...

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I was a fan of the HTC one until I went to the store and actually saw both in person and the Galaxy s4 is really impressive.

I gotta see both in person. I have stepped in the Verizon store since I bought my iPhone in September.

Yeah I know how you feel. I too would be very embarrassed to return to the store and admit to mistake of buying an iPhone instead of another brand.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Shipping & and actual sales are two completely different things as far as I'm concerned. No doubt they've sold quite a few up till now but 6 mil sounds like they're stretching the truth a teeny weeny bit.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah I know how you feel. I too would be very embarrassed to return to the store and admit to mistake of buying an iPhone instead of another brand.

Lol yeah.

kissx kissx said:

I just got my at&t Samsung galaxy s4. Wow is it great!

Guest said:

Lets hope its better than the peice of junk S3.... that phone is pants!!!..... you need bionic hands and the patience of a saint to use it!

I hope Blackberry do something amazing.....

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.