Study suggests majority of Windows 8 users ignore Metro apps

By on May 22, 2013, 4:30 PM

Data collected by software-maker Soluto reveals that a majority of Windows 8 users mostly ignore Metro apps -- those self-contained, Modern UI-sporting, one-touch install applications found both in the Windows Store and come bundled with the OS. The Israeli-founded firm claims users open on average less than two apps per day, suggesting one of Windows 8's biggest features may not be for everyone. PCWorld takes a detailed look at the numbers and the actual report can be found on Soluto's website.

Soluto discovered about 60 percent of PC desktop and laptop users are actually opening Metro apps less than once per day. More surprisingly though, touch-enabled laptops and tablets don't improve that number by much: just over 44 percent of tablet owners forgo using apps just as often.

The company's data also indicates the overwhelming majority of Metro apps used in Windows 8 are Microsoft's -- mostly apps bundled with Windows 8 like Mail, Photos, Weather and Camera. IE10, interestingly, is missing from the results. Apps which have proven popular on other platforms (e.g. Netflix) are sparsely found on the list of top apps while others are simply missing; Facebook, for example, has yet to release an official Windows 8 app.

The informal study pools data from a mixed bag of nearly 11,000 Windows 8-based devices, but it should be mentioned that the results do not include Windows RT -- Microsoft's stripped-down, tablet-centric Windows 8 variant. This glaring omission rules out usage data from lower-end, touchscreen-only devices which would no doubt favor Metro apps; after all, traditional desktop apps don't run under RT. This fact coupled with IE10 Metro's absence from the results should give pause before taking the results too seriously. However, Saluto still manages to paint a believably bleak picture of Windows 8's app ecosystem.

Despite Soluto's omissions though, only about 200,000 devices out there are running Windows RT. This number makes Windows RT a relatively insignificant anomaly anyway, in the shadow of an enormous industry which ships 350+ million PCs and 250 million tablets annually.

rocklobster rocklobster said:

Soluto is the same company that said that the macbook pro is the best windows laptop. I seriously don't trust them.

7 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

Windows 8 & ...

1. Evolution

2. Design

3. The lab work

4. Releasing

5. Presentation

6. User Feedback

Win 8 with touch/swipe tiles is not for desktop or laptop! 5 button mouse works best. MSFT should improve graphics and basic apps. also hardware needs boost.screens and touch pads are poor! also MSFT pads are inferior to Macs. long live Win7!

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

That actually was a legitimate statement made after legitimate experiments. The whole concept behind that statement was that it was just better because it was the only one with a clean install, completely free of bloatware and manufacturer customizations.

I agree that the Metro apps are probably largely ignored. I honestly tried for hours (on my non-touch screen laptop) to find just one that I could find useful, but all of them either didn't work how they should or had better alternatives on the desktop. I still love the Start screen though, and Windows 8 is the best Windows to date in my opinion. I just deleted everything except for the camera and Netflix Metro apps and treat the store like it doesn't exist.

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

The only reason I open apps is because of a mistake on my part when a picture/movie/pdf opens it without me setting the right software. (I'm lazy)

THE only apps that I've actually used are the Weather (2-3 a month) and the Camera apps (to test my laptop camera).

99% of the apps are useless on desktops and latops just because of how slow and featureless they are compared to normal software.

So the fact that Windows RT devices were not included in the study either

A) is an insignificant anomaly that does not deserve consideration and doesn't affect the outcome

or

B) keeps the study from being significant by omitting critical data

Pick a lane Rick. You can't have it both ways.

1 person liked this | Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I have to admit I use the metro interface as a giant start button. I even looked up how to create a shutdown and restart buttons.

RH00D RH00D said:

I have Windows 8 on a desktop computer and I use 2 Modern UI apps daily with 5 additional Modern UI apps that I use every 2-3 days.

JC713 JC713 said:

It is a phenomenal utility though! That is all what matters. I never really trust many statistics anyways.

I like windows 8, just not metro and I very very rarely ever use it. I added Start8 from Stardock software. Made the world of difference to win 8s useabiity.

Also plan to explore a touchpad as well to add some touch capability to my desktop.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

They're trying to be too much like Apple, and almost wanna be Apple, when they were loved for just being Microsoft(I use "loved" loosely)

1 person liked this | highlander84 said:

I only use metro when I boot my laptop. After that its desktop only. I do not use ANY metro apps...I like the desktop and to me its much easier to use. Why reinvent the wheel?>

Arris Arris said:

Same. The only time I do anything in Metro is when I noticed the store has updates for some of the default apps. Otherwise it's straight to desktop.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

PC nerd PC nerd said:

Well duh, Metro apps are shite.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm ignoring Metro apps as well, to the point of keeping Windows 7.

BabyFaceLee BabyFaceLee said:

Occasionally I accidentally tap the Windows key and up pops the modern UI and I think "Oh yeah, I forgot that was there"....I have a quick look in the store to see if anything's worth downloading...realise there isn't and go back to what I was doing. Nuff said.

Btw, I use Start8 from Stardock.

1 person liked this | bugejakurt said:

The only app I open on the Windows 8 UI (Windows 8 apps not Metro aps ) is the "Desktop" app

There are two Metro apps that I use on a regular basis, Weather and Desktop.

windmill007 said:

Yeah since installing start8 I forgot about metro. Might try it again in a year if I hear the apps have improved.

Start8 makes Windows 8 a functional OS. Have yet to find any app that does anything nearly as useful as programs available for the desktop.

killeriii said:

Arguably it is. I have several friends who have mac pro's and run windows exclusively on them. They say they're the best laptops.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I don't get all of this talk about WIndows 8 not being "functional". It is literally the EXACT same, except the start menu now has it's own screen. It just makes it look cooler. Everything else is the same. Even kids and parents who barely know how to turn the computer on can figure it out.

Oh, and I forgot to add Minesweeper. That app actually isn't too bad if you want to kill a few minutes.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Is it just because it comes without the stuff from the manufacturer?

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Soluto reveals that a majority of Windows 8 users mostly ignore Metro apps

Christ, and they didn't even factor in all the people who are simply ignoring Windows 8, period... let alone "Metro apps".

Jim$ter said:

Let me guess, your one of those who actually think Vista was actually a good OS right? When you actually do more than play games on your OS you you might understand.

Jim$ter said:

If you think Metro is all that was added to Windows 8, then your statement might be true, but sorry your wrong. There is a lot more to like in Windows 8 without Metro. It its current form Metro sucks and the way it works on the Desktop it sucks. I have Start8 and with it I actually think Windows 8 is better than Windows 7.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And I'm not gonna support those additions you speak of either, because unfortunately that would mean also supporting Metro. I'm sorry there is no partial support, it's all or nothing.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

No, actually I'm completing a Masters degree program in Europe and don't have time for gaming, except for a 5 minute game of minesweeper before class. Everything I do here depends on it being "functional", and it has not once decreased my efficiency. It works the exact same but with a different look. Maybe if you didn't just assume whatever you think would support your argument, somebody might actually think you know what you're talking about.

Teko03 said:

I ignore them on my Windows 8 laptop. Without touch these apps just don't feel intuitutive. I personally llve the apps on my Surface RT. MSFT should have either made a huge push to make all Windows 8 laptops touch-based and affordable, or either waited until touch hardware was more affordable to make this move.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Actually I must assume you have never tried it. First I bought Win 8 Pro for $40 CAD when it came out. $5 CAD for Stardock. My setup still leaves the charms bar, hot corners (lower left has some nice shortcuts, or I can use the traditional start menu without littering the desktop or task bar with icons. The task manager is vastly improved. Windows Explorer also now has 'the ribbon' which I have started to find useful after a period of adaptation.

Then there are the 'under the hood changes' which include hardening against malware and rootkits largely through memory allocation safeguards. Since it was designed with the UEFI bios, the computer should not boot if an infected USB drive is connected, and secure boot stops the system loading if any core system files have been altered. Explorer now has the ability to natively mount ISO and VHD files (disk images). You simply right click an ISO or VHD, select Mount ? and that?s it. Reset restores your computer to a 'reinstall" and 'Refresh' can be used with your own custom drive image. Plus there is 'Storage spaces" and 'Hyper-V' allows you to install, manage, and virtualize guest OS's and File History works much better than in Win 7 by keeping incremental copies and is easier to use.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Sorry for bad use of quotes, I am in a hurry

This is in reply to Captain Cranky and the initial quote is his.

Have a good weekend folks!

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Flock!

my comment: I like win 8, I have installed Stardock, boot directly to desktop, don't even notice Metro is there, uninstalled all Metro applications that I could. Runs nice this way.

part of Captain Cranky's comment: So, you bought Windows 8, then turned it into Windows 7. Well that's a form of progress. Or at least that's what you should keep telling yourself.

The rest is my reply