Microsoft customer satisfaction drops to almost Vista-era lows

By on May 27, 2013, 2:00 PM
microsoft, acsi, windows 8, windows vista, customer satisfaction

Windows 8 has received its fair share of criticism for deviating from the classic desktop experience and instead push a touch-focused UI across all devices -- even non-touch ones. Despite racking up respectable sales, a new report suggest it’s not just that the operating system isn’t seeing the kind of success Microsoft was hoping for; it’s actually taking customer satisfaction levels down to the lowest since Windows Vista was released.

According to the American Consumer Satisfaction Index, Microsoft’s score slid to 74 out of 100 in their latest report. That’s just one point higher than it was following Vista’s launch, and down four points since the company’s satisfaction rating peaked at 78 in 2011 before the release of Windows 8 dropped it to 75 in 2012.

"It seems clear that the release of Windows 8 did not give Microsoft a significant bump, as the release of Windows 7 did, nor did it dramatically lower customer satisfaction in a rather short time frame, as the release of Vista did," David VanAmburg, director of ACSI, said in a statement.

VanAmburg was cautious not to pin all the blame on Windows 8 this early in its life cycle. “If Microsoft's ACSI benchmark flattens next year or drops another point or two, then it is probably safe to say that Windows 8 will be the prime culprit behind a significant downturn in customer satisfaction.”

Microsoft isn’t planing on waiting that long to find out. Later this year the company will be releasing an update for its operating system, Windows 8.1, which is expected to address several common complaints from users. Among them are the return of the start button (but not the start menu), a boot to desktop option, and some much-needed search improvements. Codenamed Blue, this will be a free but major update for Windows 8 users. A public preview release is due this summer at Build, while the final code should ship in the second-half of 2013.

4 people like this | Guest said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

7 people like this | TheBigFatClown said:

First, the Windows 8 catastrophe....now the XBox One catastrophe....it's clear this company is anti-consumer to the core. They just keep pretending that the people who made them billionaires don't exists while they continue producing products for an imaginary consumer.

If the consumer does not drive your products how will your company succeed? I guess Microsoft knows the answer to that question. I, however, do not.

I think Microsoft's core staff has become tilted in favor a younger, more cynical generation of people who view consumers as criminals. Something is not right somewhere. It's like a nightmare. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

4 people like this | Puiu Puiu said:

Just give us non-fullscreen apps already! Just make it possible to window them. Putting a button that takes you to the same fullscreen mess is not fixing the OS.

I'm a windows 8 user and I like the fast boot times and better memory and battery management (among other desktop improvements), but I also do exactly like 90% of the users do: avoid metro.

2 people like this | Opus Opus said:

I have never had any complaints with Windows 8. Although, at first, you gotta learn some things that are newer to you but in the end it proved to be the same learning curve that was involved with Vista.

2 people like this | General Sam General Sam said:

I haven't been asked or surveyed by Microsoft about the Xbox One and I've been playing video games for 18 years!

2 people like this | bexwhitt said:

There is nothing wrong with windows 8 if you stay away from the modern UI.

I personally use startisback and ignore the irrelevant on a none touch screen tiles

3 people like this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

people say it's just like windows 7, with a few changes, so logically, it isn't bad at all

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And I will predict it stays this way for as long as Microsoft maintains mobile functions, within operating procedures of a desktop OS.

2 people like this | MrBungle said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

The vast overwhelming majority of people are going answer "huh?" or "what's that?" when you ask them what the windows kernel is, to the vast majority of people the OS is the GUI so if the GUI is crap the OS is crap. The Modern UI is the most hated piece of MS sofware since MS Bob so it should come as no suprise that Windows 8 is receiving low ratings from consumers.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If the interface is crap, then it really doesn't matter whats under the hood. If you can't control a Ferrari engine, it might as well be an Escort engine. If the Windows GUI is so foreign people have issues, it might as well be considered a bad OS.

1 person liked this | MrBungle said:

There is nothing wrong with windows 8 if you stay away from the modern UI.

The fact that you had to install a 3rd party hack to make Windows 8 tolerable means there is something wrong with it.

1 person liked this | xplayer xplayer said:

I can't get those people!! windows 8 is amazing, my pc start up and power off is amazingly improved, it now starts in like 10 seconds compared to about 1 minute when I was on windows 7, beside that everything is working perfectly with no problems, I really don't know what is problem with windows 8, for me its amazing and people must give it some time before they make there decision, all people around me who says that windows 8 is not good they never tried to learn all its features and they only used it for one week for maybe two not more!!

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I'm glad they are giving it some requested features. WIndows 8 isn't comparable to Vista though. Vista was unpopular because it had a lot of bugs and just didn't perform well in general. Windows 8 has been unpopular because people can't figure it out or just don't like the look of the start screen. The actual performance of the system is great. After people get past figuring out how WIndows 8 works (assuming they didn't hate the aesthetics), all the people I've heard from agree that it is the best Windows OS to date.

The exception to this are the actual apps. I still can't find a single one worth downloading. Plus, it should be a no brainer to make the apps work on the desktop in windows. Luckily, the apps can be ignored or deleted if they aren't wanted.

Hopefully they'll include more options for customizing the start screen and all that too. I like it, but I get bored of the predefined color schemes and limited background choices. There are third party fixes, but Microsoft supported fixes are preferred.

1 person liked this | spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I bought a Surface Pro a month ago and the paint is chipping off around the edges and the hinges.

The charger doesn't seem to work correctly most of the time by bouncing between charging and not.

The Wacom stylus which sold me on the product has calibration issues.

The battery is terrible.

It has Windows 8.

1 person liked this | spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

Perhaps they don't serve the customer, they serve the government? They are creating the ideal tools for a world at war with itself. The SPYBOX and Windows 8 are proof they don't care what you want. They care what powerful people need to control you.

3 people like this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

Been using windows 8 ever since it's release along with start 8 from Stardock. I don't even use the Metro UI but I love all the other changes like task manager etc.. Metro UI is just taking up space like a lazy college kid.

2 people like this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Windows 8 is just a newer shinier Vista. Ugliest UI ever. Too many changes to be popular with the mainstream user. Windows 7 just works and is still too new for the average person to want to change over to. Xbox One looks like a VCR from the 90s with too much emphasis on the TV media hub side of things, with 18 month old PC parts thrown in and call it next gen...Sticking with Windows 7 for a long time to come, it works, I game on Pc and upgade every 2 years which no console can manage.

2 people like this | Guest said:

What's wrong with it is that it isn't consumer-friendly. I really don't care if Windows 8 boots up in 10 seconds. I'm writing this on Windows 7 and it's plenty fast for me.

I have no use for the new interface; I have no need for a touch screen. Most of my work involves purely business functions. Those silly windows are a distraction.

If Windows 8.1 doesn't give me a full, easy way to get to the traditional screen, with start menu, then I'll just buy another Windows 7 machine like I did two months ago.

1 person liked this | veLa veLa said:

Makes sense. They keep neglecting the users that care and made them money. Not to mention 8 is Vista 2.0

2 people like this | Demigod001 said:

Ive never had a problem with windows 8 the start page is fine for me but having said that. I only use 2 of the "METRO" apps, the mail and finance, and half the time I still get them in my web browser, windows apps would be better. For everything else I use desktop programs

Am I the only one who gets annoyed that everything is an app now?

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Am I the only one who gets annoyed that everything is an app now?

I'm pretty much the same way, but all I use are the Netflix, Minesweeper, and Camera apps. I am okay that they have a Windows Store now, but they have to make it more desktop friendly. Maybe introduce an ultimate desktop app section in the store where developers can submit regular desktop programs to, and allow Metro apps to be used in windows on the desktop. Then all they'd have to do is get better Metro apps and tweak a few things here and there, and everybody would love it.

Ripley's Believe It or Not!

The best Microsoft's OS made by them is one with 12 years old on the market... and

The second best is one with 13 years old !!!

Now, you can do your homework.

They don't have to kill Metro, it's actually a pretty good (fullscreen) replacement for the 18 year old start menu.

They do have to kill off all metro apps, the metro store, metro charms and other metro specific UI components. And make the metro start screen ALOT more customizable, like our desktop used to be.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Smart Windows, but not too smart in the file system clean-up. Still plagues this OS badly. On the Windows RT that system works best but again limited to Microsoft Store. Windows 8 Pro I have that on netbook works just have to change the RES from 800x600 to 1024x768 works!

Windows 8 Pro should have had a desktop version without touch. Not everyone has desktop monitors with touch features. Using the mouse makes it odd feel to it.

Windows has come a long way but still they need to work on how the file system cleans itself without user having to touch it. System should say hey time to clean up the file system/registry process as started. Clearing Clipboard, Ram etc.. Freeing up space. If it does this then when it updates also should remove any installers used too. Otherwise the system bogs down badly.

Windows 7 doesn't have these new tones or fancy popup screens. This OS will be the last of it's kind. Windows 8 has 7 features but it also has the future new look and features. Start of things to come.

RH00D RH00D said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

Speak for yourself. I like it a lot.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I don't understand why Microsoft don't just ask their customers what they actually want from their products.!

I totally agree 1000%.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's as easy as to install normal software as you would do in Windows 7.

THERE IS NO PUSH FOR TOUCHSCREEN FEATURES, it's an option, which you might like or not in which case you just install software as you would on windows xp, windows 7, or windows 95 if thats your thing.

For those "power" users complaining about the new start screen (metro) let me say something, that is crystal clear, you are not power users! It's simply amazing all the things you can get by just typing a couple keys, even better than windows 7.

What impresses me the most about windows 8 is the boot/shutdown time, amazing for notebooks, great performance, so far not a single piece of software I use has had compatibility issues (And a couple of games were just a google away and 5 minutes from working).

Stop hating Windows 8, if you give it some time to realize Windows 8 -----IS NOT Metro interface----- you will love it.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

Speak for yourself. I like it a lot.

"We" big word for one person to use.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Clearly you've never driven an Escort RS Cosworth, not just another Escort engine in that. But thats not my point. I agree with the idea though, Windows 8 starts faster, runs faster, shuts down faster, all only marginally better than Windows 7, at least in my testing. Just when you go to actually use it, everything seems foreign and out of place, like getting in a car designed for somebody with 6 arms and no legs, it just feels wrong and thats the problem people are having with it. There may be a few supporters, but you guys are on your own, the simple truth is people in general don't like this Modern UI, they find it hard to navigate, to find what they're looking for. I did the dad test, and he was very upset by the end of his experience, main comment being, why didn't they keep the start menu as an option. My answer, I really don't know, because Microsoft?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

It's as easy as to install normal software as you would do in Windows 7.

I don't know, I'm finding it very hard to find a single piece of non-ignorant factual information in this post.

Puiu Puiu said:

It's as easy as to install normal software as you would do in Windows 7.

it's not windows 8 that people hate. It's the metro Ui and the new direction in which microsoft is going. I use it for the same reasons you said it is good for notebooks, but when you avoid a certain major feature that the OS has (and advertises as being the biggest reason you should buy it) then it clearly has problems that need to addressed.

And just like I said in my first post, just give us non-fullscreen metro apps already. going fullscreen for everything is just retarded. I don't have a phone that needs to use all of the screen so I can read the text or see a picture in the app.

If Microsoft had adopted a "StartIsBack"-style strategy, it would have garnered better reviews than even 7, since this little $3-2 license app shows just how good Win8 could and should have been. Toggling between the desktop and metro shells spotlights the difference between the old Windows and new, and how both can easily co-exist on one computer.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Because Windows 8 was horrible, and then Xbox one is pure and utter ****, I'm not surprised it's lower than the Vista era.

psycros psycros said:

Well said. As for the ****** running Microsoft into the ground? Their called "hipsters" and if they were any more out of touch with reality they'd have only imaginary friends. Most of these kids have never used a PC day in and day out for productivity, or even for hard-core gaming. They all had iPhones and Macbooks until Microsoft hired them. Microsoft has never been that innovative but they *were* pretty good at being all things to all people most of the time. Now their becoming a poor imitator while desperately trying to look like their not. This results in products that are designed to appeal to nobody except Microsoft's accountants.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You just said "amazing", almost as many times in one paragraph, as the entire cast of bimbos on "The Bachelor", does in an entire episode!

Arguably that's an achievement, at least in some amazing fantastical reality.

In real life, (and I find myself "amazed" at this), it isn't.....

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't have an opinion on the XBox, because I've never used consoles. I've always been a PC user for all things. I've never adopted Windows when it was initially released. However this is mainly due to the fact I never needed to update at the time of release. With every release of Windows, I was a slow adopter but this is the first time I have ever completely rejected an OS release. I will continue to reject Windows 8, if what I have now is cosmetically more pleasing and easier to use with a mouse. I'm not gonna reject mouse functionality for more expensive alternatives or what I call eye candy (Windows Aero), simply because some high ranking software firm decides they want to implement touch capabilities and force people in that direction.

If change is inevitable, then so be it. But I will not change for the worse, unless completely forced into it over the years to come. If Microsoft thinks they can weather through this by forcing people in a direction they don't want to go, who am I to stand in their way? I will continue to voice my opinion in hope that I am heard, regardless of whether I am understood by everyone. I have nothing against Metro, if that is what some want then so be it. I could even see using it if it wasn't such an eye sore to me. I still don't think a desktop needs the entire screen for a menu system, but that irrelevant.

I honestly don't understand why it so hard for Microsoft to allow for alternate GUI's. Most of the programing is completely isolated from the GUI. There is absolutely no reason for pushing people in one GUI direction. And when you think of this in terms of Start Screen vs Start Menu, it is even more ridiculous. Two completely different applications that can be run side by side and are only a portion of the GUI.

Material possessions are confined to only one color, and usually only one style. Software should not be confined to such limitations when changes can be made by literally the flip of a switch. If you ask me Microsoft is not earning the fortune that everyone continues to send them. A narrow minded programmer is doomed to failure. People are different and want different concepts. A programmer focusing in one direction risk alienating the rest of the crowd. There is nothing wrong with testing the waters in new directions, but turning your back on the very concepts that made you what you are to test the waters is suicide.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

Who's "we"?

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Who's "we"?
A more often asked, more enigmatic, and perhaps more important question is, "who are they? (O)__(O)

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

.....[ ].....The best Microsoft's OS made by them ....[ ].......
Your syntax here is truly bizarre. It reads as though other people have made M$ operating systems, Which of course, has never been the case.
...[ ].....is one with 12 years old on the market... and

The second best is one with 13 years old !!!

XP and Windows 2000.

Now, you can do your homework.
You may have almost stumped yourself with that, but for most of us, that was a rather patently mundane statement of the obvious. Not to mention only a personal opinion.

I accept the fact that you're never too old to learn something new. But, I have a funny feeling that I won't be learning it from you.

Now, why don't you go "do your homework", while I go download some porn.

1 person liked this | coppersloane coppersloane said:

I love Windows 8 and I love innovation. People whine. People whine to assassinate Microsoft in the eyes of the general public to give Apple the edge. People love to hate Microsoft. A colleague of mine wrote in one of his articles the other day in one of his headlines "...and I admit I'm prone to Microsoft-bashing..." and I stopped reading right there.

It's fashionable to hate Microsoft.

It's the 'in thing' to do.

People love Apple, the underdog that's no longer an underdog. People have been brainwashed into the so-called uniqueness that is the Apple iLife, and they buy every product update no matter how basic it is. From iPhone to iPhone, Mac to Mac, only slight changes are made, such as the weight, or the size, and people LAP IT UP like starved, stupid dogs.

The lot of you are mass-consumerist tools. You toss your hard-earned dollars at the Apple Tree for miniscule updates to products, and when anything at all comes along that could de-throne your precious Apple, the source of your iLife addiction, you start biting ankles, spreading hate, bashing these companies out of fear that they could take away your shiny window panes you call tablets.

What the hell will you people do when we're introduced to A.I. on a sweeping scale? Flying cars, et al? Will you only dare learn how to navigate it if it's built by Apple? Will you only fly an iCar? Use an iToaster? Sleep in an iBed? Watch iTV? Wear iPanties? You can't handle anything else. Fact is, Apple has dumbed you down. We need to administer IQ tests on a broad scale ASAP, because holy smokes, so many of you are seriously lacking in the common sense department, let alone adaptability.

"Hey look! The iPad is so easy to use, even my KID can use it!"

Remember the videos of infants using iPads that were made around its release? Do you people realize how messed up that is, that an INFANT can use the thing? Do you realize that when you, a grown, fully matured adult human being, integrates such a simplistic device into your life, let alone several of them, you become dumb?

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

...[ ]....And through it all, the lot of you have become incredibly resistant to change. That's the sad part. Anything unfamiliar scares the piss out of you. A new interface?! I can't handle it! I'M LOSING MY MIND! I CAN'T WORK! I CAN'T GET USED TO IT! GIVE ME THAT START MENU OR I CAN'T FUNCTION!!! OH GOD.... OH GOD... THE MENU... THE MENU... MUST... GET BACK... THE... MENU......
What I really enjoy is being talked down to by some noob to the forum in all capital letters no less.

avoidz avoidz said:

Add shutting down the Live Messenger service to the list of anti-consumer practices from modern Microsoft.

2 people like this | Puiu Puiu said:

It's fashionable to hate Microsoft.

It's the 'in thing' to do.

Anyone who does this is just stupid.

Did you forget what people said at w7 launch? that ms is finally listening to it's consumers? that they finally are doing the right thing?

People hate ms now because they started pushing their own agenda again and even saying that they know what's better for us so we should stop thinking and stop demanding "reasonable" things from them.

When people stop complaining is when people stop caring and that just sad.

PS: apple is hated even more than ms. don't let them fool you with polls where only die hard apple fans vote.

PS2: change is good. nobody became resistant to it. but you should never accept change just for the sake of looking "cool and modern" like ms is doing (and I admit it looks good and works well on tablets, but I just don't use it... at all; because I have no reason to use dumbed down, fullscreen, slow as hell, apps - some are default over the desktop versions).

They just needed to be less restrictive and actually change during the beta what people didn't like and not say that we'll love it after the official release.

Now they are saying that they are bringing back the Start Button and it will only take us into the metro ui. It's like we're stupid and we just love to have that fing button down there because it looked pretty. I hope for their own sake that cosmetic changes and the fact that we'll be able to have 3 apps on the screen instead of 2 aren't the only changes that they'll make.

joeinav joeinav said:

I can tell you why, not only did an arrogant Microsoft shove Windows 8 down our throats without an option to keep the start menu we all love and understand but also due to the horrible employees they have trained and employed (I am talking about the ones in their stores). I will never step back into a Microsoft store after being ridiculed and made fun of by several employees looking for help to uninstall Windows 8 Preview. They are the worse employees in the tech world and all thanks to culture at Microsoft. I am waiting and praying for Microsoft's demise.

In the meantime, I now own a MacBook Pro 15" Retina display, 27" iMac, 20" iMac, iPhone 5, iPad 3, and an iPad Mini. Microsoft pushed me to Apple & the Apple (& their great retail employees) embraced me. Plus, Apple's iOS and OSX is AMAZING!!!

Btw, the horrible employees that I am referring to are at the Mission Viejo mall!

Dukenukemx Dukenukemx said:

Not surprising. We think Windows 8 is very bad.

Speak for yourself. I like it a lot.

You are few and far between.

Dukenukemx Dukenukemx said:

Unless they allow the start button to function as a start button, then I don't see how Windows 8.1 will fix anything. Microsoft lately is more against their customers, then for them. Even the Xbox One shows that Microsoft has little regard about how their customers perceive their actions.

Customers complain about Metro UI on desktop. --> MS forces it on you.

Customers complain about start button. --> Gives it back to you, but bring up Metro UI instead of Start menu.

Customers complain about always on internet for Xbox One --> MS fixes it to be mostly on.

WTF is Microsoft doing? Trying to compromise with their customers? Just give customers what they want, is that so hard? The only reason they even remotely get away with this is because they're a monopoly in the OS market.

I wonder how much does Microsoft's advertisement agency pays to post things like "Oh I love Windows 8, it's so easy to use, so pretty and sexy! It does all I need for my entertainment, and I didn't even know what a computer is two weeks ago, learnt so fast! Straight from the jungle and into the new digital world of vast enterprise possibilities I went in no time! And my husband got better in bed now that we have installed Windows 8". I personally never liked Windows 3.1, but was forced to use it because of some games or software. Then they forced Windows 95 on you, then they forced IE on you, then they forced Windows Vista/7 by locking DirectX 10 to it only, now they force Metro UI... It's always about Microsoft dominating its customers. As a developer, I can tell you that they have exactly same policies with their development tools, they always force you to use something you'd rather not, and they make you dependent by using non-standard terminology that wouldn't be compatible with the rest of the world, by making their tools available only for Windows, and making these tools very easy for beginners to make it look like they are professionals. This is a winner with many developers who love Microsoft for the chance to pretend they are pros. Microsoft has always been very American in this, following the extreme capitalist ideology. It's not about making products, it's about making money and winning in the economic war by all means. In a healthy economic environment, where they would not be able to eliminate competition like they always did, and their connections, lawyers and government contracts could not save them from angry consumers, they wouldn't last a day, because all their software is either made by someone else or a rip off of something made by someone else, with very rare exception. They themselves can't even understand that something like Vista or Metro UI is sh*t. They love it, that tells enough about their business abilities. For a few years I'm on a Mac now, thank God there is finally an alternative, I hope it lasts, because it definitely got worse since Steve Jobs departed. If Mac OS X dies, I'm through with computers and will go rising tulips somewhere in the mountains.

JC713 JC713 said:

I bet you all $100 that MS will screw up 8.1. They will probably make it $10 and slap on a troll face.

SirGCal SirGCal said:

Well... ya... I actually have avoided buying new hardware cause they're all forcing windows 8 and I'm running low on my stock of windows 7 licenses... I'm going to buy some more here soon but. I really do not like windows 8 from an administrative point of view, not even a user's point of view. As an admin, it's a giant PITA!... Not to mention users ... well, anyhow...

Other simple point I just don't get... Windows 7 was REALLY fresh. Almost still bran new. Why pushing 8 so fast? Got ideas, try patches, updates, addons for a bit. Only thing that really makes any since is pure greed. However I know some of the inside server-side test engineers in M$ and even they were screaming at the top guys during W8 design saying they were doing a lot wrong, especially on the administration side of things. (and we're not talking about metro, we could care less about these types of things to be honest... but we do hate it to for the record...) If anything, this should have been more Windows 7 Touch or Windows Mobile or something... Especially with a 3-monitor rig, I HATE full-screen apps... I ALWAYS have 6-10 things going at once... A movie might be full-screen on one, but then I have a few coding windows going on one, some browsers and email on another, and I want to see them all, not tab back and forth... That's the point of having a huge monitor with a lot of realestate. I don't need M$ telling me how to use my hardware cause they don't like windowed programs anymore. I'll go back to Linux first...

But then they have the 'We are M$, you will do as we tell you to do!' attitude that seriously needs to be checked... Windows 7 was a giant hit. Wounder why. Then they pull this crap and surprise, failure. Well, DUH!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

As a Ex-Windows 8 user, I see the OS as improved in some performance areas however plagued by so many hilarious mistakes by Microsoft to the point where you often ask yourself the question: "Why?"

Where is the start menu? Yes it's a question done to death but it's something that's too important in a Windows Operating System. As a Microsoft developer, you don't just remove an aspect of the Operating System that's been playing a fundamental part with Windows OS for more than 15 years. Even if Microsoft thought "It's the best design choice for the OS" or "Modern UI is replacing this aspect" at least give the consumer the option of switching on the start-menu. Yes Windows Blue is bringing back the start-menu but it only bringing the user to the METRO UI. The very fact that I had to install 3rd party mods to make Windows 8 bearable is saying something. C'mon Microsoft, this is silly.

Again with the Metro UI (and yes this may be fixed with Windows Blue), why did Microsoft force us onto the Metro Interface instead of giving us the choice of defaulting to desktop? This is anti-consumerism right here.

[/end rant]