Apple has more user accounts than anyone else - except Facebook

By on June 5, 2013, 9:00 AM

A new research report from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty revealed that Apple has more user accounts than any other technology company expect one – Facebook. The social network trumps all others with 1.05 billion accounts while Apple places a distant second with just 500 million accounts. For reference, e-commerce giant Amazon finished third with only 200 million user accounts.

Facebook may be the clear winner with regards to the sheer number of user accounts but most would argue that Apple’s accounts are more valuable. Why you ask? Because each one has a credit card attached which means the opportunity to make money from every member is there.

As such, it should also come as little surprise that Apple comes out on top with regards to revenue generated per account. Cupertino pulls in an average of $329 per user with Amazon following in a close second at $305 per user. eBay ranks third with around $125 in average revenue per user while Facebook and their 1.05 billion users only contribute $5 each.

Moving forward, Huberty believes Apple will reach 600 million users with active Apple IDs by the end of this year. In the meantime, however, Apple could be prepared to capitalize on the existing user base with their rumored iRadio streaming music service to the tune of (no pun intended) $1 billion per year. This figure is based on the assumption that 40 to 50 percent of the install base would use the service.




User Comments: 20

Got something to say? Post a comment
cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

technology company expect one - Facebook.

4 people like this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Uh... where's Google? Doesn't everyone with an android phone have a Google account? Even if there were fewer than 29 million Google accounts and they didn't make the first graph, I'd bet their average user has spent more than $5, which would make them show up on the 2nd graph.

EDIT - Nevermind, I figured it out I think.... the link to the report is on Appleinsider.com. I guess in their own little world Google doesn't exist.

2 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

But that's only because they haven't bothered to erase the 480 million closed accounts. They still submit them to these analysts.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

As MilwaukeeMike pointed out, there's no Google. Which means that I call BS on these dreamy little charts.

NeoFlux said:

The company I ignore has less user accounts than a company I ignore little less.... I WIN! Sorry, my sense of humor suck when I'm drunk :P

MilwaukeeMike said:

But that's only because they haven't bothered to erase the 480 million closed accounts. They still submit them to these analysts.

True... many of these types of numbers are often way off. For example, Justin Bieber has the most twitter followers, but some company did a survey and estimated that about 52% of them are fake or duplicates of hard core fans just trying to boost his numbers.

2 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

As MilwaukeeMike pointed out, there's no Google. Which means that I call BS on these dreamy little charts.

I hadn't even noticed that Google wasn't present yet I have an Android phone. I wonder if Apple pays people to publish this garbage... Scrap that last statement, Apple pays no one, they expect you to pay them.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Seems legit. Nice troll, Techspot.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

True... many of these types of numbers are often way off. For example, Justin Bieber has the most twitter followers, but some company did a survey and estimated that about 52% of them are fake or duplicates of hard core fans just trying to boost his numbers.

Yup.

To do anything on an iPad or basically any Apple device now, you need an Apple account. It tracks everything you do, the Apple service agreement is ridiculous. Uncle Sam probably gets more useful information from Apple then it does the FBI or CIA in many cases.

I setup my Apple ID for work since I have an iPad 2 to use when I need it. I would never put anything personal on there, or as little as possible.

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

Uh... where's Google? Doesn't everyone with an android phone have a Google account? Even if there were fewer than 29 million Google accounts and they didn't make the first graph, I'd bet their average user has spent more than $5, which would make them show up on the 2nd graph.

EDIT - Nevermind, I figured it out I think.... the link to the report is on Appleinsider.com. I guess in their own little world Google doesn't exist.

It's also missing Microsoft which would presumably be just as big as Google since anyone with an account on Xbox Live, Hotmail/Outlook/Messenger/Skype, Windows Phone, or Office, or any other Microsoft service should be there.

It's also not true that every Apple account has a credit card attached to it. Where do they even get that every account has a credit card? I have an Apple account with no credit card on it, undoubtedly many other people do as well considering a large portion of their user base isn't even old enough to own a credit card.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

As I've stated before, these so-called "research firms" are full of $h!t; Morgan Stanley is no exception.

freythman freythman said:

It's also missing Microsoft which would presumably be just as big as Google since anyone with an account on Xbox Live, Hotmail/Outlook/Messenger/Skype, Windows Phone, or Office, or any other Microsoft service should be there.

It's also not true that every Apple account has a credit card attached to it. Where do they even get that every account has a credit card? I have an Apple account with no credit card on it, undoubtedly many other people do as well considering a large portion of their user base isn't even old enough to own a credit card.

Let's also not forget Yahoo and Twitter.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

No Google or LIVE?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Another iTrash article. This company makes me sick. I bet people read this article, turn around & say "See, I told you Apple was number one!"

Guest said:

More user accounts than anyone?!?

Yeah because they don't delete anything. I had to yell at the apple tech to delete my brother's old apple account because it was conflicting with his new one he made for his new iphone.

So she had to instant message another tech in a completely different departement to delete the account took 45 mins.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Well Apple does require you to have an account to do just about anything.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well Apple does require you to have an account to do just about anything.
That would make the polls one sided!

NightAngel79 said:

Uh... where's Google? Doesn't everyone with an android phone have a Google account? Even if there were fewer than 29 million Google accounts and they didn't make the first graph, I'd bet their average user has spent more than $5, which would make them show up on the 2nd graph.

EDIT - Nevermind, I figured it out I think.... the link to the report is on Appleinsider.com. I guess in their own little world Google doesn't exist.

I was wondering the same thing!

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

I am sure there are more Xbox Live accounts than Netflix and they also generate revenue

avoidz avoidz said:

On the AppleInsider site, the comments suggest the stats numbers only include accounts with credit cards attached and ignore "Gmail" accounts... Also ignoring the Google Play store and account holders who buy stuff there.

Special pleading?

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.