Microsoft backtracks: Drops daily check-ins, used games restrictions on Xbox One

By on June 19, 2013, 3:55 PM
microsoft, xbox, gaming, xbox one

It appears that all the negative feedback directed at the Xbox One has forced Microsoft to reconsider its stance on several of the console’s requirements. In an updated Q&A page, the company just revealed that their next generation console will no longer need to check in with the company’s servers at least once every 24 hours in order to let you play games, and that there will be no limitations to using and sharing discs.

The move comes amidst heavy criticism following E3, where Sony took a few jabs at Microsoft and essentially won the gaming crowd over by announcing all the things that the PlayStation 4 wouldn’t do.

Microsoft says an online connection will be required during setup, but once that’s done you’ll be able to play games offline and take your Xbox One anywhere. Likewise, sharing will work as it does today on Xbox 360 -- that is, gamers will be able to trade or gift physical copies of games without paying any additional fees.

Regional restrictions have been dropped too, and games downloaded from Xbox Live will be playable offline.

Microsoft warns that some of these changes will impact some of the scenarios previously announced for Xbox One. For one thing, downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold, and though it’s unclear if games are still installed on the hard drive, playing disc based games will now require that the disc be in the tray.

The company says they’ve heard the message loud and clear, and since games will still be available as digital downloads on day of release, gamers will get the choice of how they want to consume content.

8 people like this | treeski treeski said:

For those that wonder why people ***** and moan about stuff they don't like... this is why.

3 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Haha, intelligence won out over greed (finally). I guess when a big retailer like Amazon does a poll and people are overwhelmingly choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One (at 9 to 1 last I saw), maybe even big companies like Microsoft have to stop and rethink their strategies? You have to wonder if MS thought that their flashy TV and Kinect integration bells and whistles would completely overwhelm us simpleton consumers, and keep us from noticing the severe limitations and imposing DRM they were hoping to sneak in... Either way, it's all damage control from now until launch, and probably right into the holiday season, I would imagine. Think any heads will roll over this little miscalculation?

5 people like this | Guest said:

LOL.... XBOX180 !!! Am still getting a PS4. M$oft you can't be trusted.... who says you wont change policies again if people buy your expensive DVR that looks like a VCR.

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Score one for everyone that made this possible. Now the PS4 and XBone can be fairly compared.

6 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's the best part... It's not even a DVR! Live TV only... They basically put an Xbox, a Kinect, and one of their old WebTV products into a romantic honeymoon suite, threw in a case of Tequila, and let nature take its course. 9 months later, the Xbox One was born...

2 people like this | spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Sony changed their policy on installing Linux when that was a huge selling point.

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

After seeing that Amazon poll I knew they wouldn't double-down on that position. You've gotta cut your losers if you want to make money, and their attempt at game regulation was setting up to be a huge loser.

5 people like this | Guest said:

How can Sony be trusted?? Anyone remember a few years ago when Sony put a rootkit on audio CDs? Once you put their music CD in your computer it installed a rootkit preventing you from copying the CD. Sony also removed the ability to install Linux on the PS3. A feature they advertised to sell more consoles.

Obviously MS had to change their stance, but nothing prevents them from forcing this back on their customers 2-3 years from now. In order to use XBOX Live MS forces you to update your dashboard. Anyone here remember when the dashboard had little to no advertising?

3 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's more like it. But I'm shocked that MS didn't stick to it's usual stance of "this is the way it is and you're going to like it."

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Yup Sony removed Linux...then the system got hacked to holy hell.You don't even need hardware besides a thumb drive to hack it.

Well, when it came out that was true, they fixed the hole in new firmware, but if you have 3.55 or lower you can upgrade to 3.55 and hack the damn thing with a thumb drive.

So sure, they can change it down the road, but that's just going to speed up the hacking initiative against it.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Someone screwed up big time. I think I'll probably get one now though. I want to play the best version of FIFA 14 and that's going to be on the next gen consoles as ea aren't doing a PC port with their new ignite engine included. Whatever the reason, I wasn't comfortable with the ps4 and was going to skip the consoles until this announcement.

3 people like this | 9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's a little bitter sweet. Sharing digital on-line content with my family would have been a boon. And having to feed the CD-tray is a step backwards. But the majority voiced their opinions and got their wish granted.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I must be the only person who likes the design of the Xbox one. I also like the new redesigned 360.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

I just hope they drop this "Don't want to look biased towards digital downloads or discs" mentality they have. The family 10 sharing and lending were good features, and they should've grabbed the best of the old policies and the 360's policies...

Otherwise, I am happy that they listened to the majority of their customers... Bold move to do such a backtrack...

3 people like this | cmbjive said:

Next time you guys don't think you can influence a corporation...remember this.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

It has DVR capabilities last I checked (it's how they recorded a fight in the E3 stage demo of KI), so you are wrong :P

cmbjive said:

Microsoft saw the preorder numbers. They must be getting spanked, royally.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

I honestly don't mind the advertising. Heck, it even made me aware of "Pacific Rim" which looks like it will be an awesome movie...

So basically what I'm saying is, it's done in a way that only people who haven't used the 360 can complain about :P

5 people like this |
Staff
Jos Jos said:

Agreed with @9Nails and @m4a4. There were some cool features that are now being dropped, like family sharing and not having to feed the CD tray. I think Microsoft did a poor job communicating these features and was clumsy with some of the restrictions they planned to implement.

It's very likely that we'll see many updates to the Xbox One throughout the years so hopefully some of the original features will make their way back without the need for something as seemingly restrictive as online check-ins every 24 hours or no offline play.

Chazz said:

I hope this happens as well. The problem I have with bitching is people mostly just give noise with little constructive feedback. It seems Microsoft listened to the noise that drowns out actual criticism. Some of those features were very nice, and I hope they are added as well.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Aw, now there's not much to rub in the face of xbox anymore lol

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

WOW, all this time and I never knew it was the consumers responsibility to help in designing products. I knew we always b_tched about things, but it never occurred to me it was our place to fix issues. If it is the consumers place, why does every company have R&D departments?

What is so wrong with R&D presenting a product/solution and consumers answering with feedback? Feedback of which may be positive or negative, either way they both are constructive.

2 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmmm, well the hands-on and other reports I've been reading say otherwise. Like this one over at engadget:

[link]

They specifically spell out that the Xbox One is NOT a DVR, and doesn't even have capacities (yet) to integrate with your existing DVR for scheduling... Meaning you have to use the DVR in a separate session, outside of the X-O.

This one mentions (in an interview with Microsoft) that there MAY be DVR functionality added in later, but for now it's live TV only:

[link]

So, either everyone is getting it wrong, or there are 2 different versions of the Xbox One out there.

2 people like this | Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

It took the threat of a sales bloodbath to do it. Well at least they got the hint. I hope whoever came up with the idea in the first place is shown the door for not being in touch with the market so badly.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

@NTAPRO Still early days. Console costs significantly more still. Have to wait and see what is launched.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

They removed family sharing and share digital downloads with friends I hear.

bexwhitt said:

Sony can be trusted though!

What planet have you been on in the last ten years?

Now how about 'em price tag???

psycros psycros said:

They removed family sharing and share digital downloads with friends I hear.

Naturally, because it was all part of their DRM system. They've had to yank the whole kit n' kaboodle because they don't have time to properly recode the whole thing before launch. I fully expect the family sharing and whatnot to be re-introduced this spring.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Now how about 'em price tag???

I doubt it lol.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's right Microsoft, now to remove the kinect to make way for the price reduction (will need to be a serious reduction here in the UK) since your machine is of lower spec that Sony's and you might be onto a winner!

To all that don't trust Sony, I see where your coming from, but hear this, they have CLEARLY listened and learnt from the ps3 I think they're worth a second chance.

Once Microsoft go back on the whole "you need a publisher" policy so indie devs can get onto Xbox live arcade then Microsoft is making real head way. Glad to see someone at Microsoft goes on the Internet to read potential customers feedback! I was starting to wonder if everyone at Microsoft had been blocked Internet access...

1 person liked this | Wulfgang Wulfgang said:

Great 1st step, now to do away with the requirement of the Kinect being connected. Not in this lifetime am I upgrading my daughter's 360 to Xbox One with Kinect.

windmill007 said:

This sucks. I'm buying a PS4!!!

2 people like this | Guest said:

Maybe they'll listen about Windows 8 as well? One can hope... :) Either way it's a happy day, as the consumer wins today!

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Now reduce the price.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Now reduce the price.

Microsoft is including the Kinect with the Xbox One, that's why it's $499 compared to Sony without the PS Eye at $399. That's why there is a $100 difference between the units. Not sure but I feel the Kinect unit is better than the PS Eye in both quality and features.

dennis777 dennis777 said:

They should call it now xbox720. MS please #DeaLWithIT

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

Better late than never. It's a huge win for those who wanted and xbox. I still don't know what the hell MS was thinking during E3. The amazon poll where it was 18 to 1 in favor of PS4 must have really made them think again about their policies.

But it's still an uphill battle. The damage has been done; it's still a more expensive console with less power and an expensive skype camera than most people don't want ^_^

I for one still won't buy it. (not that will be able at launch even if I wanted since they aren't releasing it in most of the world)

Um, the install other OS option was not used by more than 5 or 10% of PS3 owners at best.... not a big deal. Not being able to play any games without internet, not being able to sell games you purchased..... Huge deal.

VrsTech VrsTech said:

MS can't be Trusted!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have to find another way to make money somehow to make up for it

Chazz said:

So, I take it you're an iPhone user than. I mean, if you subscribe to the notion that companies can never be wrong and have unprecedented access to a magical crystal ball than go ahead. There is a way to give feedback and there is a way not to. I don't think of a company as a deity just because I use their stuff. Everything can always be better and there is a much better way to express that.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I personally have never had an Apple product period and no thats not what I said.

Chazz said:

Then what was your argument? Because I've only seen that line of logic from an Apple customer. Was it that I should let the simple people call names and throw out one liners and let the big boys do the heavy lifting?

If people bitched right, Microsoft could really be saving face right now and giving us those other features at or very shortly after launch AND getting rid of online DRM.

insect said:

Here's a radical idea.... ditch the XBOX1 and PS4 and just buy a PC and hook it to your TV. Then you get the best of all worlds - whatever OS you want, no discs, digital downloads, unlimited sharing (some legal, some not), record whatever you want, higher resolutions, better graphics, wider variety of games, and more!

For $499 (XBOX price), One could built you a PC equivalent to the XBOX1/PS4 and hook it to your TV and use a logitech gamepad (basically a PS4 controller). You'd probably never know the difference if one put the right boot screens on it. For another $200-300 (mostly in the CPU and GPU upgrades) you could get a PC that blows these consoles out of the water.

Still can't figure out why people buy consoles at all, let alone spend time arguing about which has better features. Fear of PCs? Ignorance of how to build a PC? Worried of bugs/hacks/viruses/crashes?

At insect

People buy consoles because of the exclusives that come out for them. In addition, some people prefer the quick setup and controllers. The reality is---despite the strong and powerful PCs that a lot of us have built, most games still do not take advantage of the extra power. And the reality is, better graphics don't always equal better game play. The good thing about having the new consoles come out is that developers will finally start to use the extra power which will hopefully translate to games on the PC that finally do use the power that the Keplers and AMD 7000 series can pump out.

For me, I've been playing more on my PC lately and I love the better pricing on it as well. If a game comes out for both PC and one of the consoles, I usually will buy it on PC. Again, there are some great games that come out on the consoles that we'll never see on the PC e.g., Halo, Gears of War, God of War, Uncharted, Final Fantasy. And I am still enjoying my 360 and PS3. Can't wait to play the Last of Us.

SexyMan SexyMan said:

Consumer wins if there are competing products!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

So where the hell is a win 8 start menu then, they listened here.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I wasn't planning on switching to a console anyways, but the Xbox One wasn't a bad idea at all. They were basically trying to move to what Steam is doing, which people would've loved. People just didn't understand it and threw a fit. Granted, Microsoft didn't present it that well. They should've figured out a way to highlight the advantages instead of letting random bloggers and other clueless writers blow it up into something it never was.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

The answer is simple. If you don't like MS or Sony's stance then don't buy either. It's what I'd do.

1 person liked this | Nobina Nobina said:

We should've done this when Windows 8 came out.