Windows 8.1 update will ship to PC makers in late August

By on July 8, 2013, 5:30 PM
microsoft, windows, rtm, update, windows 8.1

Microsoft announced during their Worldwide Partner Conference earlier today that Windows 8.1 will be ready for manufacturers by late August and will subsequently come pre-loaded on many devices sold this holiday season.

Big PC makers like Acer and HP typically enjoy early access to Microsoft software as it gives them plenty of time to test for bugs and get them loaded onto upcoming machines. If you aren’t in the market for a new system, fear not as the update will be made available to everyone later this year free of charge. Microsoft hasn’t issued a solid release date for Windows 8.1 just yet but that’s expected in the near future.

Microsoft revealed Windows 8.1 at last month’s Build conference following months of speculation that it was in the pipeline. It addresses a number of complaints that users have had with Windows 8 since its launch late last year. A preview version of the update accompanied the conference for those interested in trying it before the public release. It can be downloaded simply by clicking here.

During today’s event, Microsoft's Jensen Harris publically demonstrated some other features of Windows 8.1 that weren’t shown last month. Specifically, the demo showed how the update is optimized to work on small-form factor devices and in portrait view. Attendees were also shown the Reading List app, Miracast streaming as well as the revised search experience powered by Bing.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Who would like a nice keyboard to go with the Start Screen?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't need all the rainbow colors to know what I am clicking. I can learn to accept the Start Menu, but I will never accept rainbow buttons for a menu system. Nor will you ever see a multicolor keyboard, such as the one above connected to my PC.

Railman said:

Hi Clifford who does your nails?

Blah Blah Blah! The same old tired trite. If you do not like Windows 8 or any variation thereof, then stick to Windows 7 or whatever it is that you are using. Hearing the same thing over and over again makes me want to vomit.

1 person liked this | Railman said:

Guess who the guest works for? The prize is a distinctive keyboard guaranteed not to show your sick.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hearing the same thing over and over again makes me want to vomit.
It's actually using Windows 8 that makes you feel that way.

I promise I will not tell your secret, it is safe with me.

Railman said:

Hopefully we will make the MS execs as sick as parrots. W8 is so yesterday.

It men acting like Whiny girls that makes me want to vomit. Just don't use it and be on your way. It is not for you we have established that. Do you want a award, well you have it we heard you now, good night.

1 person liked this | Railman said:

Well excuse me whilst I put on my makeup, dress and high heals. Crossdressing is preferable to using W8

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It men acting like Whiny girls that makes me want to vomit.
Now that you mention it, you look cute in that skirt. Too bad you are a cross dresser.

Railman said:

Altogether now. I'm a lumberjack...........

Last comment made me laugh. That is my last rant for the night. God evening Ladies.

1 person liked this | Railman said:

Does that we can expect another rant tonight?

Nobina Nobina said:

Men, do n'ot listning too them, they many just complaning and whiny, goud night men.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Well then don't use the forums. No one asked you.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Thanks for coming but thank you very much for leaving.

TheBigFatClown said:

Windows 8.1? Hahahahaha. Yeah, ummm....thanks, but no thanks. It's still a tablet OS. No sale. When I feel compelled to purchase a tablet OS I'll buy an Android-based phone.

Osmin said:

If the purpose of windows 8 Metro on the desktop was to enjoy tablet apps then let?s hope they fix the worst part of Windows 8 with Metrro, the inability of Metro Apps to run in a window on the Desktop. Having tablet apps take the full screen, or 1/4 screen slices on the side of a large desk top monitor is plain ugly and counterproductive. I should be able to populate my large display with as many small metro apps wherever I want them to be and remove them from the desktop as easily as closing a normal Windows program thus keeping the desktop as the primary work place. ModenMix from the makers of Start8 already solved this issue for you but I should not have to go to a third party to fix this issue. If people did not see a difference from using a Metro App then no one would complain of the full screen apps and would have adapted instantly. Group icons that holld related apps is better than scrolling a massive list where all icons become similar and confusing. They could have added frequently used apps on the buttom of the Start screen with the option to load a previously used files by holding down the icon and swiping to the desired file in a pop up list. Microsoft is trying to kill the Desktop which is where gamers and productive users want to be.