Creative gamer mods Contra NES cartridge to propose to girlfriend

By on July 25, 2013, 5:30 PM

I’ve seen some pretty clever (and geeky) marriage proposals over the years but forcing your girlfriend to beat a video game – and not a very easy one – before you’ll pop the question is on another level. That’s exactly what one guy on Reddit by the name of Equinn0xX did, hacking up an old copy of Contra in the process.

The passionate gamer (real name Quinn) admitted he knew very little about the inner workings of a Nintendo before the project, but through a lot of trial and error (and help from the Internet), he was able to make it a reality.

In short, he had to cut a hole in the NES cartridge and remove the ROM chip. Quinn went through several chips as part of the learning experience but ultimately he was able to modify some aspects of the game, namely the character names and the ending (the proposal), and get it all put back together successfully.

Interestingly enough, there was no question mark anywhere in the game so he had to use the ellipsis after the proposal instead of making it a question. Oh, and Konami (the game’s publisher) caught wind of the story and even posted a link to it on their Facebook page.

One would have to assume that Amy said “yes” to the proposal although I wasn’t able to actually find confirmation of this on Reddit. Either way, this is one of the cooler geek-related proposals I’ve seen in a long while. Best of luck!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think I recall reading about this a few years back. I'm not certain though. :/

It's still interesting regardless. I know I fall short of having the talent to do such things.

2 people like this | Guest said:

That's my buddy Quinn! I can't believe the news he's making with this, pretty awesome. To be fair, they get together like once a week and play Contra all the way through, so this wasn't some evil scheme to have her beat a hard game.

Oh, and she did say yes ;)

1 person liked this | misor misor said:

Now the creators of the contra game will sue Quinn for copyright infringement.

Arris Arris said:

Oh, and she did say yes

Haha, I was going to say, what if she got bored and couldn't be bothered playing through

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

highlander84 said:

I find this extremely cool.

3 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

It's a good thing such things didn't exist when I proposed to my wife in the early 80's. If it did, I'd still be trying to hack the game today by which time she may have lost interest.

Arris Arris said:

I don't remember Contra being that good to want to play through it once a week, but each to their own

1 person liked this | customcarvin customcarvin said:

This inspires me... Hmm, now to choose old-school game to use for divorce proposal... Splatterhouse??? XD

treetops treetops said:

So that's who bought my old NES contra game off ebay.

True (nerd) story.