Razer reimagines Naga MMO gaming mouse with mechanical switches, updated form factor and more

By on July 30, 2013, 8:45 PM
razer, mmo, gaming, mouse, gaming mouse, razer naga, naga mmo

Razer is putting a new spin on an old classic with the re-release of the Naga MMO gaming mouse. The best-selling MMO pointer of all time has been tweaked in a number of different categories to create a product that’s even better than the original according to the company.

The Naga’s iconic 12-button thumb grid is now outfitted with mechanical switches for increased tactility, speed and actuation assurance. Furthermore, each button on the thumb grid is now more pronounced than previous models to allow for improved blind-finding, we’re told.

Elsewhere, the Naga’s ergonomic form factor has been reworked with a broader shape to accommodate a wider range of hand sizes. Razer said the fourth and fifth finger rest now has a gentler down slope to promote better grip and reduce fatigue during extended gaming sessions. If that weren’t enough, Razer has also added a clickable scroll wheel that clicks in and out as well as left to right for even more customizable buttons.

On the software front, Razer is including a copy of their in-game MMO configuration software with each unit. This software allows gamers to set up key bindings, macros and other preferences without having to exit their favorite game.

Left-handed gamers aren’t being left in the cold, either, as Razer has launched a left-handed edition as well. The company said they are doing this at an expected fiscal loss as a result of popular community demand.

The Razer Naga 2014 Edition is available as of writing for $79.99 via Razer’s website or at your favorite gaming retailer.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Yes they clearly have no interest in the ergonomics of the mouse, if they did they would have included 3 interchangeable panel's so people could adjust the ergonomic fit to their hand. Like just how cheap can they be not even including a non-slip finish.

Oh wait, they did do all that.

JC713 JC713 said:

Mechanical switches on a mouse... That is awesome.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Mechanical switches on a mouse... That is awesome.

Mechanical switches on a mouse... That is expensive. Not to mention unnecessary.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wtb red :3

Matt12345170 Matt12345170 said:

Looks like the buttons stick out more. If its anything like the hex, I wont be getting one

Does this mean they will also be fixing the right and left mouse buttons? My left mouse button almost always double clicks when I press it. I play WOW and often times when I left mouse click to buy something from a vendor I get 2 or 3. Very frustrating. I googled my problem and it appears to be a common issue.

So although the mouse in theory is great, if you can't rely on the buttons while playing an MMO, why would it be worth buying?

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, but if it stays at the same price point, who cares.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Mechanical switches on a mouse... That is awesome.

More durability? Faster action triggers? Not sure whether this would be true but in theory I guess.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah, but if it stays at the same price point, who cares.

I doubt it. Mech. switches always cost more but if if the price remains the same... bargain.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yeah, but if it stays at the same price point, who cares.

If you go to the Razer website and try to buy it, the price shows as $79.99, same pricing neighborhood as the old Naga was. I guess they're able to stay in the same price point, even with the mechanical switches. I might check it out, I preferred the Logitech G600 over the previous Naga models, mostly because Logitech was smart about how they shaped the thumb keys for easy identification by touch, rather than needing to constantly look down to see where you are clicking. Looks like Razer has taken a page out of Logitech's book with this new version.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

You guy's are welcome to those mice. They're too complicated for me. I'll just stick with a 5 button mouse.