Enthusiast-class "Ivy Bridge-E" CPUs get priced ahead of launch

By on July 31, 2013, 1:45 PM

Pricing for Intel’s upcoming Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 CPUs have leaked onto the web. Chips range in price from $310 on the low end all the way up to $990 for Intel’s most powerful enthusiast chip, all of which are expected to launch sometime during the first week of September.

Starting on the low end, the i7-4820K includes four cores clocked at 3.7GHz alongside 10MB of L3 cache and a 130W TDP. It can be yours for the aforementioned $310. Bumping up to the i7-4930K nets you a six-core CPU clocked at 3.4GHz and 12MB of L3 cache at the same 130W TDP. Expect to pay around $555 for the opportunity which is about $50 cheaper than the previous generation i7-3930K at launch.

If money is no object for you, the i7-4960X Extreme Edition will likely be on your wish list. This powerhouse six-core chip is clocked at 3.6GHz and comes with 15MB of L3 cache. Fortunately it’s also a 130W TDP processor so it shouldn’t run much warmer than the i7-4930K.

Unlike its Sandy Bridge-E counterpart, the i7-4820K is an unlocked part which will certainly appeal to overclockers. Even still, however, there will probably be some serious consideration to drop a bit more coin and spring for the i7-4930K due to the two extra processing cores.

It’s worth pointing out that those looking to upgrade from a Sandy Bridge-E platform will be able to do so without buying a new motherboard as the new HEDT parts are compatible with LGA 2011 boards.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Yay, bout time, I can't wait for the 4930k, in anxious to see how the performance does compared to its 3930k counterpart!

JC713 JC713 said:

Good to see the prices have decreased a bit.

BlueDrake said:

Good to see the prices have decreased a bit.

Agreed. I might consider an Intel PC, if the prices don't seem too insane. Been using AMD and it's not bad really, then again I'm using a Phenom II X6. Lets see how things have improved, before I plan on cracking open my wallet. :P

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I may start saving up for the 4930 if the overclocking performance looks good. I'm also hoping some newer LGA 2011 boards come out.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

I hope they solder the heatspreaders instead of using the same shit as Ivy/Haswell.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I hope they solder the heatspreaders instead of using the same **** as Ivy/Haswell.

[link]

Almost certain that there will be a 2.0 revision of the X79 chipset. IB-E should bring validation of both PCI-E 3.0 (which Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 doesn't officially have), and the full feature set of the I/O hub - notably the missing SAS controller. Both these facets of the chipset are already functional in the C600 series chipset

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Interesting that the 4820K is cheaper than the 4770K, by not an insignificant amount either. Also nice to see a price drop on the entry 6-core.

[link]

Lol poor guy just broke a 4960X. All in the name of science though and it's great news if true.

DKRON said:

Do they still have hyper-threading on these chips?

MrBungle said:

As an enthusiast, I struggle to see a point in Ivy Bridge E... They are launching an architecture weeks after it has been retired on the mainstream parts. Granted you can get more cores and PCIe lanes but the platform feels dated and the architecture feels so last year. Intel should have skipped Ivy Bridge E and launched Haswell E instead.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Do they still have hyper-threading on these chips?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

I'm still waiting. i7 920 overclocked to a 3.8GHz 24/7.. that's doing me nicely. That platform was pretty much the first -E version of the I-series.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

As an enthusiast, I struggle to see a point in Ivy Bridge E.

Server/HPC sector has pretty much only just transitioned to LGA 2011 and short lifespans aren't associated with the enterprise sector...and IB-E's that fail the validation process for Xeon binning get tossed into the consumer (i7) arena.

Intel likely have some substantial pre-orders for IB-E Xeon, as well as some high profile HPC contracts. I'd say it's a given that to get the 32,000 Xeon E5-2600 v2 for Tianhe-2 for example, Intel may have had a few processors in the production line that weren't up to being Xeon validated....and it's probably better business to sell the rejected CPUs for $300-1000 a pop than tossing them into the recycling.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Are you saying that you believe LGA2011 will be around for a lot longer? Another 2-3years+ ?

I haven't been up to date on the Haswell-E socket rumours.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I haven't been up to date on the Haswell-E socket rumours.

Based off of what ive read and the standards for Intel, this will be the last chip in the 2011 socket. It will probably be 2014 for the next socket :P

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I haven't been up to date on the Haswell-E socket rumours.

[link] (Lituya Bay chipset). From the leaked roadmap, IB-E runs to late 2014, and Haswell-E launches at that point. It's probably a given at this stage that Haswell-E will require a new board even if the socket remains- since DDR4 uses a 288 pinout design (as opposed to DDR3's 240 pin), even if the CPUs have backward compatibility implemented with the integrated memory controllers - very unlikely IMO given the complexity, and Intel's track record.

X99 ( Lituya Bay/Wellsburg) is pretty much confirmed as LGA 2011 from multiple sources.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Just wait for Haswell-E.

Intel is a master at markets. This was done deliberately. I suspect the slightly cheaper chip is to offset the cost of the motherboard.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Mmm I'm also curious why such a lag between Haswell and Haswell E. Late 2014 release???

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Good to see the prices have decreased a bit.

Decreased? If you say so but unfortunately/fortunately I can't read such heady numbers, doubly so if they have a $ sign in front of them.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just wait for Haswell-E.

That's a long wait, and DDR4 RAM isn't gonna be cheap on release.

I'm also down for a 4930K, not been too impressed with the IHS issue on IB and Haswell so didn't bother upgrading to those.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

Look at Intel's everyday low price on new products and scratch you head and wonder why pc sales are in the toilet. I saw that Intel came out with a unit t o compete with $35.00 raspberry pi Intel's unit was $199.00. I like Intel but I don't really need what they have anymore I can get by with amd in the future

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Yea, that's what worries me next is DDR4, that's going to be expensive and honestly, I doubt we are going to see major gains right off the start (It will be better, but I doubt we are going to be that impressed at launch of DDR4 for the price were going to have to pay). Also theres the fact of the 8-core Haswell-E chips (Which sounds awesome), but depending on how they do pricing with those chips, the mix of the new board, DDR4, and the possibility of new price ranges for chips, the cost for that generation is going to cost a fortune.

As long as the 4930k gets roughly a 15000 in cpumark, then I will be grabbing one (Well it also has to overclock pretty well).

Though I have been hearing a lot about steamroller from AMD, im curious where it will fall at the new price point of 449.

wiyosaya said:

I have a 3820. Depending on reviews and just how compatible it is with my current MB, I might update as the 3820 will go on e-bay fairly easily. Otherwise, I am more likely to wait for the successor to IB-E.

MrBungle said:

IVB-E to HSW-E isn't a long lag time the SNB-E to IVB-E lag is the bad one.

JC713 JC713 said:

That's a long wait, and DDR4 RAM isn't gonna be cheap on release.

Yeah, DDR4 isnt the feature I Was thinking about for Haswell-E. It was the 8 core .

Geforcepat Geforcepat said:

Just wait for Haswell-E.

Yep.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

[link]

That's awesome. 4930K is mine!

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Hoping Haswell-E also has SATA Express... (apparently it is supposed to but we'll wait and see!)

JC713 JC713 said:

If you have the money for Extreme series CPUs, you must have the cash to spare for a PCIe SSD xD.

Boilerhog146 Boilerhog146 said:

Couldn't wait any longer,had all the rest of the build so I bought the 3930k ,oh well , hope there's not much difference,other than saving a bit of power..

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Some yes. I'm after RAID + TRIM support. The OCZ series doesn't do TRIM in Windows due to using SCSI miniport I believe. RAIDR supposedly does but yet to confirm - until they prove it, I'm assuming it is bs.

It's a bit of a mess. If you want raw speed you go PCIe. If you want best SSD command support you want to go Intel SATA.

JC713 JC713 said:

Wow, that is dumb. I hope Samsung or Intel comes out with a PCIe SSD for consumers.