Tiny PlayStation Vita TV console announced alongside new PS Vita

By on September 9, 2013, 5:30 AM

During a livestream straight from Japan, Sony has announced a new version of their PlayStation Vita, just three weeks after announcing price cuts for the handheld gaming console. The company has also revealed an interesting device called the PlayStation Vita TV, a tiny console which melds together Vita hardware with PlayStation 4-related functionality.

Starting with the redesigned PlayStation Vita, Sony claims the new handheld is 15 percent lighter and 20 percent thinner than the original model, while also packing in an additional hour of battery life. While the majority of internal hardware stays the same to maintain game compatibility, Sony has switched out the OLED display for an LCD variant, there's now a micro-USB charger, and also 1 GB of internal storage.

The new Vita, launching in Japan on October 10th, will come in six colors - black, grey, blue, pink, yellow and lime green - and will retail for 18,980 yen (~US$190) in a Wi-Fi only model. The 4 GB to 32 GB memory cards have also been reduced, now retailing between 1,554 yen (~US$15) and 6,804 yen (~US$68), and there's a new 64 GB card that will set you back 10,479 yen (~US$105).

But the more interesting of the two announcements comes in the form of the PlayStation Vita TV, a console with takes up a mere 6 x 10 cm. The unit is based on Vita hardware and connects directly to your TV, allowing you to play Vita and PSP games, as well as access various music and video services, including Sony's own Music and Video Unlimited. Vita-style apps will also be a part of the Vita TV, such as the LiveTweet Twitter client, among others.

The Vita TV also acts as a remote play client for the PlayStation 4: the unit can connect wirelessly to a PS4 in a different room, allowing you to play next-generation games "as if [you] are playing it on the PS4 system". Unfortunately the system only outputs video at a maximum resolution of 1080i, and the DualShock 3 controller that connects to the system is incompatible with some Vita games that require touch and motion controls.

Sony will be launching the Vita TV first in Japan on November 14th, with the basic bundle costing 9,480 yen (~US$95). Another bundle including an 8 GB memory card and DualShock 3 controller will also be available for 14,280 yen (~US$143).

ikesmasher said:

If people just had dependable hacks running on a vita I would definitely get one. Just to play GBA/SNES games and maybe eventually N64.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Can't believe it's been that long already. A new vita so soon

I like the idea of the vita tv and its remote play.

Maybe these supposedly family orientated machines will be just that. One of, in the front room. Can be played anywhere in the house with a tv n vita unit, but can also be monitored so kids do their homework or get to bed.

The only thing that sucks is the 1080i. I mean I have had my PS3 at 1080p and 720p and cant tell the difference but 1080i is worse that 720p right ? As long as it does 720p I would rather have it set to that. I would rather the 1080i was not even an option in fact. How can in this day and age with 4k ultrahd on its way can they let this product fall short. Oh I am sure its so they make a 1080p / 4k version later for more money I mean why not milk everything else like all these companies do.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Why is it that whenever you see something like a game console advertised you see happy, smiling, joyful faces on the sofa? Who's actually ever seen that in real life? All I've seen & heard are frowns, scowls, swearing and players throwing the controllers around.

Kinda like cellphone ad's, beautiful young people standing close to each other all smiling sharing pic's etc. but the people I see in real life trying to do the same thing are ordinary looking people, busy cussing & frustrated saying (shouting) "This #@&* contraption never does what it's supposed to, stupid thing". Ah yes, life is not all it's cracked up to be (and neither are any of these gadgets).

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I like the idea of the vita tv and its remote play.

Don't be silly. 4k is not mainstream and won't be for a while yet. If they included 4k it would sky rocket the price right through the roof. The idea here is to sell as many units as possible, not alienate 99.9999% of the worlds population.

JC713 JC713 said:

I hope this Vita TV comes to the US, it looks awesome. The lower weight on the new Vita is welcoming.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Not sure how LCD screen is better battery than OLED. Too many bright games?

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

ORIG PSP + homebrew = success

This looks awesome! Now it just needs games and a seasonal sale that makes it $50-$75 cheaper.