Apple now offers last compatible versions of apps for older iOS devices

By on September 17, 2013, 1:30 PM

Apple is set to launch iOS 7 tomorrow, and now the company is showing some extended support for those with older iOS devices. Users with older devices can now easily download a back dated version of an app from the last time it was compatible with their device.

First posted over on Reddit, when you go to download and install a version of an app that is not supported by your current hardware, Apple will now prompt you with a handy pop-up that directs you to the last supported version of said app.

Some of the back dated versions of these apps can be as much as a year old, according to reports. The Reddit user was trying install Instagram on his 2nd generation iPod touch when he was prompted by Apple with the new compatibility message (seen to the right). Other reports confirmed the Reddit user's findings, claiming to have successfully installed old versions of Instagram and Twitter on an iPhone 3GS and 3G respectively, by way of Apple's new prompt.

Some have suggested this could also be to prepare for new features that are coming to popular applications only being supported by the newer and newest iPhones. Although it is highly likely that the newest versions of these apps will have features that are not supported by older iOS devices, the new "latest version" prompt from Apple should negate confusion and incompatibility issues.

JC713 JC713 said:

This is very convenient for people with older devices.

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

This is very convenient for people with older devices.

And it is even more convenient for Apple, now that they point finger at you saying "Your device is old, in case you forgot, time to spend on a new one".

JC713 JC713 said:

Win win LOL.

howzz1854 said:

I would love to download an older version of real racing 3 before EA screwed it up. too bad this only work for older device trying to install new software, and not the other way around.

ikesmasher said:

I feel like my problem with smartphones (and this is with all smartphones, not just the iphone)

is that the software is changed or replaced too often, forcing things to become obsolete. And I know its intentional, but all its done is not make me buy into smartphones at all (well I have a smartphone, but its without a data plan and its mostly my ipod/mp3 player/whatever you want to call it.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I bought a used and cracked screen iPod Touch 4th gen and yesterday I saw it had an update to iTunes Festival, I clicked on 'whats new' before updating, and it said something to the effect of 'compatibility with iOS 7'. So that is a worthless update for me since the 4th gen Touch won't run iOS 7. So while I think it is cool they are allowing you to get the last version that will run on your OS, they should take it another half step and not show you updates that require an OS you can't use.

ikesmasher said:

Ipod touch 4 doesnt support iOS 7? thats utterly rediculous. So much for me buying one.

JC713 JC713 said:

The game was only good before the first update.