Nexus 5 prototype exposed in leaked video

By on October 13, 2013, 9:30 AM

Not much surrounding the Google Nexus 5 remains a secret, with a prototype version of the LG-made smartphone appearing in a seven-minute video over the weekend. The device, labelled with 'Not for Sale' on the back, is shown off from all angles, and is seen running what appears to be an early version of Android 4.4, although listed as 'KeyLimePie'.

The video doesn't show off a great deal of the phone's features, but it provides a clear look at what the device will look at after it was first accidentally exposed in a Google-made video.

The rumored specifications for the Nexus 5 include a 4.95-inch 1920 x 1080 display, and a Snapdragon 800 SoC with a 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait 400 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU. Like LG's flagship G2, the Nexus 5 also includes 2 GB of RAM, LTE radios, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, and an optically-stabilized camera, albeit at a lower resolution of 8-megapixels.

It's expected the device will come in both 16 GB and 32 GB variants, with the former shown off in the video above, although there will be no microSD card expansion slot. Overall, the device is close to the same size as the Nexus 4, and features a slightly larger 2,300 mAh battery.

Google has phased out the Nexus 4 from their hardware inventory, indicating a new Nexus device will be announced shortly. It's rumored the device will keep the tradition of being available unlocked through the Play Store at a low cost, although as Google has yet to confirm any information surrounding the device, we'll just have to wait and see.

No sd card? serioulsy?

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Probably a marketing stunt imho

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It looks.... well, like any other phone that I'd expect by now. Remarkably unremarkable.

veLa veLa said:

I ended being a phony and got the the Galaxy S4 on contract when it was launched since my old phone was out of commission. I think this has the potential to be the phone to get if it's still a reasonable price off contract.

JC713 JC713 said:

Eh, good improvement on the old one. Nothing new though.

Scshadow said:

I couldn't care less if it were to have some fantastic, knock your socks off feature that just blows everyone's mind. I just want the usual from nexus. A good phone with hardware specs that match the other flagship offerings at a price you don't feel like you're getting ripped off at. But feel free to spend hundreds more so that your videos pause if you look away from your screen. Thats just not me.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

LTE somehow on this one eh? With a nice screen to boot.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just want a phone/text messaging that has good signal everywhere, and long battery life. They don't exist because manufacturers/cell providers would rather implement BS features, than make them ideal for any location or time frame.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I couldn't agree more. While it's all very nice having all the bells & whistles, how many of these features do we actually use or really want. They just add to the cost. All I want is a decent sized quality screen with the features you mentioned. I personally couldn't care less about giga pixel cameras & fingerprint readers etc.

Camikazi said:

Those are called feature phones and most carriers still have a few to choose from. If you want long battery life then a smartphone is not what you want to be looking at (no not even the iPhones are that great) you want to look at basic feature phones that can last almost forever on one charge.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Let me put it this way, we were forced to buy a data plan when there was not any phones available that didn't require data services (or so we were told). I don't need data services but since they are implemented in every phone, we don't really have a choice now do we?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Isn't it strange how the market forces us the direction we had no intention of going in the first place, then we just have to accept it. **sigh**

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said: