PSA: Windows 8.1 now available through Windows Store

By on October 17, 2013, 6:00 AM
microsoft, windows, windows 8, windows store, psa, windows 8.1

The clock has just ticked over 4am in Redmond, Washington, and that means Microsoft has begun the rollout of Windows 8.1 around the globe. The update is free to download for all Windows 8 users, so head in to the Windows Store app to find out how to upgrade.

For those who haven't yet upgraded to Windows 8, starting on October 18th you'll be able to pick up a full copy of Windows 8.1 from your favorite retailer. New hardware packing Windows 8.1 will also be available starting October 18th, in case you'd like new hardware to go with your software upgrade.

As previously reported, the update brings a number of new features and improvements over Windows 8. The Start button will partially return, search and multi-tasking have been greatly enhanced, the Start screen has been improved including new customization options, and the OS has been optimized for smaller tablets.

If you've managed to install Windows 8.1 already, or you've been using it since it was available on MSDN/TechNet, tell us your thoughts on the OS in the comments below. Also, don't forget to read Julio's thoughts on what Microsoft got right in Windows 8.1, and what's still missing.

Downloading as we speak... Just in time for my new computer. Question: are third-party start menus for w8 working on w8.1?

bexwhitt said:

Downloading now so, BRB

bugejakurt said:

If the download doesn't arrive on your Store go to "ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade" on your browser and you will find it.

1 person liked this | scorpian007 said:

Start8 works in the Win 8.1 RTM

It doesn't look like it has been released for everyone quite yet. I went to the store and couldn't find anything associated with Windows 8.1 other than a bunch of apps. I tried the search suggested by bugejakurt and it just takes me to the main page in the store, again with no upgrade information, just stuff on the NFL.

p3ngwin said:

yes, most of them are already 8.1 compliant

I'm using "classic start menu 4.0"

misor misor said:

I'm wondering if the installer from (online microsoft store during the 39.99$ promo period) https://www.mswos.com/ is also updated to windows 8.1 . this is important to me since I have a slow internet connection and have to upgrade three computers to windows 8.1 . anybody with no monthly data cap and fast internet connection can test it? thanks.

treeski treeski said:

Anyone know when 8.1 will be available for Enterprise users?

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Sweet, ill download it once I get home, this laptop im on still is Windows 7.

My Desktop is Windows 8

misor misor said:

Windows 8.1 upgrade assistant is still not available at 10PM Philippine time. (from a windows 7 desktop computer)

Arris Arris said:

Be warned, this pretty much wipes installed applications from the system, the directories will still be there but the registry appears to be cleaned with a fresh 8.1 install. Looking forward to an evening of reinstalling everything.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

There is a difference between fresh install and upgrade. If you have a choice and selected fresh install, your outcome would be expected. Are you suggesting there is not an upgrade option available, with an install package being advertised as an upgrade?

kaonis92 said:

I can confirm that the stardock start8 start menu is still working fine.

I'd like to know too. I'm downloading the update at the moment. The reason I didn't install the preview on my laptop is because I would eventually have to reinstall all my apps. If there's no "upgrade" option then that would be a real pain. Could someone who has downloaded it please confirm if there's an option to update without having to reinstall apps (specially desktop programs)?

1 person liked this | misor misor said:

Heads up:

windows 8 key does not work for windows 8.1 upgrade assistant WindowsSetupBox (4.72mb): [link]

I will try to download windows 8.1 update from within windows 8 app store tomorrow.

this is a sad day for me since I cannot make a bootable usb/iso/dvd installer for my 3 computers with windows 8. I have a ~10gb monthly data cap and if windows 8.1 update is ~2-3gb, then I'm done.:'(

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Heads up:

windows 8 key does not work for windows 8.1 upgrade

That doesn't make any sense, not for an upgrade that does not cost. What is MS thinking?

JC713 JC713 said:

Start8 works in the Win 8.1 RTM

They (makers of start8) launched a beta during the RC of Win 8.1 so it must be stable now.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Nice update though this could have been done in a service pack.

All my applications are still installed but my start screen was wiped out.

1 person liked this | Paul Boland Paul Boland said:

Heads up:

This is like any service pack we used to get before but only change is you upgrade using windows store instead of windows update

You need windows 8 already installed to update to 8.1 for free

To do a clean 8.1 install its not possible with windows 8 key

From Friday you can purchase a version for clean install with a windows 8.1 key

Just think windows 8.1 of as a big service pack if you already have windows 8

Note you wont loose any programs with upgrade from windows store its keeps all programs and files

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

I cannot comment on the 'Metro' part as I do not use it, but the only 'technical' problems I have had are

-the HD3000 graphics driver was disabled, had to go to Intel, manually search (autosearch doesn't work in IE 11) redownload and install driver and it was fixed

-some passwords saved in IE 10 don't seem to be there anymore (like for TechSpot)

-Adobe Acrobat Pro X buttons don't work in IE 11.

-it changes your windows update settings, there are already security patches for 8.1, trued to 'hide Bing Desktop' next button remained dim and useless, only cancel button was there, so I clicked on the X to close the window.

Metro looks better, but you cannot uninstall some apps like SkyDrive, and MS tries very hard to get you to sign up for a MS account during install which you do not have to do.

Paul Boland Paul Boland said:

Its better to use Microsoft Account as will it remember all your apps and settings

and also when upgrading will load all your apps again without having to re-install your apps

also skydrive will have all your files

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You need windows 8 already installed to update to 8.1 for free

To do a clean 8.1 install its not possible with windows 8 key

OK, that makes a little more sense.

1 person liked this | Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

The day I am forced to give Skydrive my files knowingly and with my consent is the day I kill myself. The cloud in itself is a good idea, but with major, major websites getting hacked on a constant basis, even source code for applications much less than millions of consumer info being stolen, unless security can be improved (and I think Richard Snowden proved that that is currently impossible) there is no chance I will use it. I have already received a letter from an agency of the Canadian Government telling me that all my personal info has been stolen, asking if I want a record of this put in my credit report. Having anything in the Cloud is foolish IMHO.

All my apps work with the upgrade, few minor glitches, that's all

I already know my computer is a porous as a sieve, to put stuff on someone else's machine...if I have a choice...no thanks

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

To be clear, I was just reading more about the Microsoft Account and SkyDrive and if that is what you want to use I am totally fine with that. Problem is I have no other devices to sync, I have no tablet, no cell phone, I prefer all my data on my local machine, I don't need another e-mail address etc. I can handle my own back ups. In other words I have no use for a Microsoft Account and SkyDrive, but they are doing everything short of coming to my house and installing it or force installing it through my computer to get me to use it.

All I want is that they respect my decision. This is what they seem increasingly unwilling to do and why I am so PO'd

So o.k. maybe I won't kill myself, but it may soon be time to take the computer outside, apply Thermite and move likely to a Third World country where I can still live in peace

misor misor said:

... but it may soon be time to take the computer outside, apply Thermite and move likely to a Third World country where I can still live in peace

not so fast there buddy, I'm living in a third-world country, the philippines... we may not have the latest tech available to us but the possibility that everything is for sale is a real one.

your privacy is not safe here. even our then president arroyo was wire-tapped. the Philippine army sergeant admitted the wiretapping, the generals denied wiretapping capabilities, the politicians knew about it but would not acknowledge any participation in it.

there is even a rumor that u.s. drones are operating in Philippine territories without real authority or congressional approval.

pirates already have the leaked windows 8.1 rtm about a month ago but the people who bought legit windows 8 will have to undergo the painful process of re-downloading the same installer file for each computer to be updated.

this is akin to movie piracy, the pirated copies have no ads and the legit ones have fbi warning, upcoming movies, etc, before the actual movie.

You need windows 8 already installed to update to 8.1 for free

To do a clean 8.1 install its not possible with windows 8 key

From Friday you can purchase a version for clean install with a windows 8.1 key

Just think windows 8.1 of as a big service pack if you already have windows 8

Microsoft should have allowed downloading of windows 8.1 using windows 8 key. just like the monthly patch updates, ms should just check if the windows 8 key is legit/unabused/for the particular machine only before it allows ANY windows 8 to be upgraded to windows 8.1.

being a fan of ms, as much as it pains me, Microsoft's move is a pain in the '455'.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Anyone know when 8.1 will be available for Enterprise users?

Wow, are you serious? This is oddly hilarious. (That there is no 8.1 update for Enterprise)

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

LOL, yeah they have to build the starship first. :p And we are still playing with Grasshoppers.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

When I mentioned Third World, I was thinking somewhere where one could stake out a shack in the countryside, other than perhaps fuel for cooking and light, the main 'appliance' would be your AK-74 which would be needed to live in peace, not sure how well they work for hunting...yes Win8 has driven me to thoughts of this...LOL

Maybe Africa??

1 person liked this | Arris Arris said:

It just downloaded then told me it would reboot in 15 minutes. Don't remember seeing any choice dialog for fresh or upgrade. I'm guess that there is no upgrade option from 8.1 Preview. Desktop was pretty much the same experience and same splash screens during update. Not much available in the way of choices at all really.

1 person liked this | misor misor said:

I'm now in the process of downloading windows 8.1 pro with media center (x64), 3.42gb, from within windows 8 app store. assuming no power interruption and computer is not turned off, it will be finished in ~3 days.:p

I checked the Windows Store on Thursday and no upgrade. I checked again on Friday morning and still no upgrade. (U.S. East)

cmbjive said:

You might have to make sure Windows 8 has all the latest updates first before trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1. My wife's computer did not show the Windows 8.1 upgrade until after I installed the most current Windows 8 updates.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I tried it now on my desktop after updating and honestly, its ok. I had not tried the pre-realse version so all im going off of is now what I have experienced.

The start button actually looks good down there, glad its back honestly because it is a bit easier when you have 3 screens it was a little annoying but I still did not see it as a big deal personally. But thats an opinion...

The search feature is significantly improved, like it actually finds stuff now compared to before, I can search alot easier in alot more variety compared to having to manually tell it general places to search.

As for everything else, I have not played around with it enough yet, but its improved for sure. Though I personally liked Windows 8 once I got used to it, I think its nice to at least know they are improving things about it.

misor misor said:

My ISP is giving me a push, from ~50kbps to ~200kbps, so ~7 hours and the download/installation is almost finished. (y) the internet plan I have is 768kbps with spikes up to 1mbps, then very slow if I exceed ~10gb/month.:eek:

I'm still mad at ms for not letting legit windows 8 users use original key to download windows 8.1 update for offline installation or bootable dvd/iso creation.

I have installed latest October 2013 updates prior to windows 8.1 so I tend to agree with @cmbjive. I hope the update will be smooth all the way.

I have discovered that if you are using Windows 8 Enterprise volume license that you can not upgrade from the Windows Store and can only upgrade via media.

misor misor said:

Update was smooth but I fell asleep thru it.

so far, most programs appear as is:

1. mso 2010 home and student

2. process lasso 6.7.0

3. steam engine

4. Mozilla thunderbird

except:

1. avast free antivirus is gone, well its update time since avast 2014 is now available.

2. gmail account missing from windows live mail. ms kicking google or I forgot I erased gmail?

3. NVidia driver pack 327.23 still works but NVidia GeForce experience is re-trying to scan for game folders (no, it would not support my old NVidia 9800gt card:p )

4. ie11 appears to remember my techspot password but requires me to manually type the login name before automatically signing me in.

5. some free programs I installed from www.giveawayoftheday.com no longer work.

hood6558 hood6558 said:

Desktop users were thrown 2 small bones - wallpaper integration on the start screen, and boot to desktop. Almost every other change is a step in the wrong direction (like the phony Start button), they're all designed to keep you in Metro and Windows Store, or put Bing search results in every search. They even hide the local account option during installation, almost guaranteeing the average user will give up and just sign up for a Microsoft account, which then takes control of your system in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways. If you're the kind who always uses MS's built in programs, you're in heaven, because everything is more synchronized and integrated, such as Skype and SkyDrive. But if you're more inclined to use third party programs, you're better off sticking with Windows 8 or 7.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

@misor

You can use this to download and deploy 8.1

[link]

misor misor said:

Thanks, @St1ckM4n.

I have finished updating my three windows 8 computers to windows 8 with the first download consuming about 7 hours, the second download consuming about 13 hours, and the third download consuming about 19 hours.

unfortunately, I am too late to read a guide on another forum on how to create a windows 8.1 iso using my own purchased cd key from microsoft store:

[link]

the windows 8.1 iso I made and burned to dvd is set aside for backup purposes.

I also made two windows 8.1 usb installers.