Nexus 5 briefly appears on Play Store, 16 GB for $349

By on October 17, 2013, 8:58 PM
google, android, nexus, smartphone, leak, play store, nexus 5

Google has had a hard time keeping the Nexus 5 a secret. Today, the yet-to-be-released smartphone briefly appeared in the Play Store, revealing the price point its 16 GB version is set to occupy: $349; the same price as the 16 GB Nexus 4 at launch.

A full press render of the device also made its way onto the internet, confirming the design we'd all been expecting. The LG-made device builds on the design of the Nexus 4, featuring a prominent Nexus logo and lens module like the new Nexus 7. Avid Android users will also notice a few icon changes on the homescreen of the Android 4.4-powered device, but the design of the whole OS still remains a mystery.

Rumored specs for the Nexus 5 include a 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 SoC, 2 GB of RAM, a 4.95-inch 1080p display, LTE radios, NFC and Wi-Fi 802.11ac. There's also reportedly an 8-megapixel camera and a 2,300 mAh battery in a body that's very similar in size to the Nexus 4.

With the Nexus 5 appearing briefly on Google's own Play Store, and a ton of leaks occurring over the past few weeks, an official announcement mustn't be too far away now.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Why did they get rid of the curved front edges. It's so svelte on the N4.

Looks good, I'll be installing Ubuntu on mine.

This almost begging for FireFox OS in a dual boot config. Will be my 1st "proper" SmartPhone I hope .. after dreadful time still using an2.3 with 0.5gb.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

I quite like the design on this, only second to the original HTC One.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

I think the pricing to buy a decent phone outright is getting a lot better

JC713 JC713 said:

Eh, nice design. But the $350 pricetag is questionable.

^Forgot the phone was unlocked.

Scshadow said:

Eh, nice design. But the $350 pricetag is questionable.

In what way is it questionable? Please point me to a phone with a snapdragon 800 processor with an Adreno 330 GPU, 1080P screen, and LTE that is unlocked, with a no contract price tag of $349. You can't. Don't say its questionable. Its not. Google will have my money.

JC713 JC713 said:

Right! I forgot about the unlocked part! My mistake.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Eh, nice design. But the $350 pricetag is questionable.

^Forgot the phone was unlocked.

Even if it was locked, the phone would still be relatively cheap. If the rumored specs are real, the SoC alone should make it cost around the $500 mark.

JC713 JC713 said: