Nokia announces 6-inch Lumia 1520, Lumia 1320, and Instagram for Windows Phone

By on October 22, 2013, 2:28 AM

At Nokia World 2013 in Abu Dhabi, Nokia has finally announced the Lumia 1520, a new six-inch device from the company and the first Windows Phone with a 1920 x 1080 display. Out of the box it comes loaded with the latest version of Windows Phone, Update 3, which adds a third row of Live Tiles to the Start screen.

There's also a 20-megapixel PureView camera on the back of the polycarbonate body, and it features optical image stabilization and oversampling technology. Internally we're also going to get a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC with a 2.2 GHz quad-core CPU, Adreno 330 GPU, 2 GB of RAM, 3,400 mAh battery with wireless charging, 32 GB of storage and a microSD card slot.

The 1520 will set you back $749 for an outright device, and it will be arriving later this quarter in the United States, European markets and parts of Asia. Color choices for the 1520 include black, white, yellow and glossy red.

Nokia was also finally able to announce that Instagram is coming to Windows Phone in the coming weeks through an official application, alongside Vine. This is a huge app launch for the platform, which has often been criticized for not having the biggest and best apps from the other major mobile operating systems.

Alongside the Lumia 1520, Nokia revealed the Lumia 1320 with a six-inch 720p display, LTE connectivity, five-megapixel rear camera and a dual-core processor. Naturally this device will be available at a cheaper price point thanks to lower-end specs: $339 outright, in orange, yellow, black and white.

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

How I miss nokia's colorfull cases... as always love the black & yellow color scheme.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Good riddance, at last they added microsd slot to a higher end Lumia. Making my choice easier, Note 3 (N9005) order cancelled . I am getting a 1520 instead (I.e. when it becomes available).

Edit:

By the way, it was also announced that finally Flipboard is also coming to WP pretty soon.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah. Their colour schemes appeal to me as well.

1 person liked this | gamoniac said:

I hope these bigger devices are as durable as my 920, which my children have dropped several times with almost no scratch. Even though they did make a video hammering nails with 920's screen (I didn't try that), I think Nokia needs to sell that point a bit harder. The durability alone might keep me as a customer in the future.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nokia, very clever with the time in that photo

I'm blown away by the 1520's display because my 22" monitor doesn't even have that kind of resolution.

I'd seriously consider this phone, but I'd first want to know how easy the transition from Android to Windows is.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@9Nails

I am using Lumia 920 and Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) as my daily drivers for a long while now. When I switched from WinMo to android, it was a mess and took me a while to get used to it.TBH it is still bit messy for a novice user, but a lot better now.

However, when I purchased first WP phone, it roughly took about 10 +/- minutes for me to know where most of the stuff is. So, there you go, I'd suggest you to go out and try one and see what happens.