PC gaming as healthy as ever: Steam breaks past 65 million active users

By on October 30, 2013, 4:00 PM
valve, steam, pc gaming

Here’s some news for all the doomsayers calling out the end of the road of PCs: Steam now has more than 65 million active accounts. The figure marks a 30 percent rise in players over the last year and outpaces Microsoft’s 48 million subscribers for Xbox Live -- free and paid ones. It’s not quite the 110 million that Sony claims for the PlayStation Network but the latter also offers no indication of how many of them are active.

The new milestone comes ahead of Valve's big living room push detailed late last month, which comprises a new Linux-based operating system called Steam OS, a rather unconventional looking game controller, and range of gaming PCs that are set out to compete with a new generation of consoles. The company will be shipping 300 prototype Steam Machines free of charge to users selected for the beta for testing later this year.

This year marked the 10th anniversary for Valve’s gaming service, which now offers over 3,000 games across all major desktop platforms. Aside from the new hardware initiative, 2013 also saw the rollout of several new features such as Family Sharing, Steam Trading Cards, Early Access, and support for Linux.

Moving forward, Valve says it will “expand Steam’s services and offerings to gamers and developers by holding the Steam Developer Days in Seattle, WA this January” and by rolling out finalized versions of Steam Machines with a variety of hardware partners later in the year. Exactly who’s onboard with the initiative and what their machines will look like isn’t clear but specs for the Steam Machine prototype were revealed earlier this month.

TheDreams TheDreams said:

2013 also saw the rollout of several new features such as Family Sharing

This is already out? I thought they still had to beta test?

Q: Will steam accept credit cards outside the US? I live in the Caribbean and am thinking of going PC gaming. I am a console gamer currently and thinking about building a new PC rig.

Netflix accept my Credit card but unfortunately SONY wont accept cards outside the USA and certain other territories... so buying a PS4 for online gaming just makes no sense. My PS3 free online is the only opportunity I have to play online.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Where's the "like" button?

TheDreams TheDreams said:

SONY wont accept cards outside the USA .

That seems odd to me seeming as they are a Japanese company. Though they do have Sony corporation Of America in NewYork,US this is just a US subsidiary of Sony Corporation whose headquarters are in Tokyo,Japan.

• International bank cards (credit or debit) CANNOT be used with the North American PlayStation Network registration system. A Credit or Debit card with a North American billing address must be used.
1 person liked this | lchu12 lchu12 said:

As long as the billing address and credit card is within the Caribbean, you should be okay.

Thanks Ichu12 for the info.

yRaz yRaz said:

It'd be interesting to see if hl3\ep3 will be a release title for the steambox

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Where's the "like" button?

If you honestly don't know, it in forum mode.

Steam + Path of Exile = win... Now just waiting for SteamOS.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

2013 also saw the rollout of several new features such as Family Sharing

This is already out? I thought they still had to beta test?

Not out yes AFAIK... some people have reported having the feature, but they probably just got the beta.

I didnt know that steam was the only "pc gaming" going on nowadays, now I know. thanks techspot!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

These "65 Million Active Users" will increase when GTA 5 comes in PC. Believe Me.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Of course. It'll also be the top "mounted" iso for all of 2014 and maybe most of 2015

Brazilian Steam user here. They do accept international credit cards.

Boilerhog146 Boilerhog146 said:

Sony is obviously full of shite, yes, I have,er,had a sony account ,been a couple of years since I accessed it ,we were watching a blueray when.blueray drive quit on a just out of warranty PS3 ,had 4 games for it ,rarely turned it on , ,send mine in(70 bucks shipping) and 150 bucks for a refurb, just as cheap to go buy a new one,no waiting,

THE END...

no more sony products ,ever, here.how many others feel the same way?,forgotten accounts?... 360 elite still works fine, though it rarely gets turned on either ,my pc Rocks..

Phillip Seni said:

The age of dinosaurs ended 65 million years ago.

it's now the age of steam (OS)!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The age of dinosaurs ended 65 million years ago.

it's now the age of steam (OS)!

I thought I was the only one to make bad jokes. I can tell that was meant to be funny, but I don't see the humor.

Phillip Seni said:

from my point of view? no. I'm a supporter of steam games. I meant it as the age of steam games and hopefully steam OS too and not to mock steam (unlike the age of the linux which is overused, imho).

if you read all my few posts here, then you already knew I'm not witty nor sarcastic. you didn't see any humor because there was none.

Boilerhog146 Boilerhog146 said:

Oh ,so your not gonna be any fun at all..yeah I would love to see another option for a gaming OS,the trick will be getting developers to go along,that was allways apples problem.Not a lot of games written for iOS,my main reason for never owning a mac..