Google launches flagship Nexus 5 smartphone at a bargain

By on October 31, 2013, 2:00 PM

Google on Thursday officially unveiled the Nexus 5 smartphone following months of rumors and leaks on par with Apple gadgets. Developed with LG, the handset will ship with Android 4.4 KitKat and will be available through the Google Play store in addition to wireless carriers AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Verizon is the only major provider opting not to sell the Nexus 5.

Official specifications include a 4.95-inch full HD IPS display covered in Gorilla Glass 3 that operates at 1,920 x 1,080 (445 PPI), a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor clocked at 2.3GHz, Adreno 330 graphics running at 450MHz, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and 4G LTE connectivity.

Other features include an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with optical image stabilization, a 1.3-megapixel front shooter, NFC and the standard array of sensors including accelerometer, GPS, compass, proximity / ambient light, gyroscope and pressure sensors. It’s the first smartphone to ship with Google’s new Android 4.4 operating system.

The Nexus 5 sells for $349 unsubsidized in black and white which is an unheard of price for a high-end smartphone. A 32GB model will set you back $399. Unfortunately, if you didn’t get your order in already through Google Play, you’re out of luck as the site currently shows they are out of inventory.

Your next best bet is to check with your wireless carrier for availability. No word yet on when carriers will receive stock or if they already have phones on hand, however.

JC713 JC713 said:

Wow that is quite nice.

Says sold out already (in Canada anyways).

insect said:

Wow, that's a good price. I'm happy with my S3 running CM 10.1 for now though. Would probably put CM on the Nexus 5 also as soon as it's ported in. Don't like the lack of features on stock android and hate the bloat-ware on stock vendor phones. CM is a nice mix for me.

ikesmasher said:

That is incredibly impressive pricing.

backo said:

This look to be a great choice if you are on the market for a new phone. My only concern is battery life.

LG's battery numbers are actually fairly impressive.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

You won't find all the bloat-ware on Nexus devices. I bought a Nexus 4 last year and instantly fell in love with it. Before that I had been using an HTC Evo which was filled with Crap, but CM 7 ran like a dream

MrAnderson said:

The 400 USD 32GB version was still available at 5pm EST.

Any word on a Nexus 10 refresh or did they do that when they refreshed the Nexus 7"

It is hard to tell when they erase all signs of previous models from the site. The devices having the same name doesn't help either.

p51d007 said:

I'm probably getting one within a month, but NEVER buy the first batch of anything. Will wait til the clammer settles down...along with the more than likely "just in time for Christmas" sales.

Yeah, me too I release a great phone at a fair price but with limited supply. Screw you Google... what a tease.

Arris Arris said:

Placed an order in UK this morning. And I thought I'd resist and stick with my Nexus 4 for the foreseeable future. Guess I'm weaker willed than I thought. Bigger screen (and only 4mm longer), bigger battery, bigger storage. Basically the only things I didn't love on the Nexus 4.

Satki said:

The 400 USD 32GB version was still available at 5pm EST.

Its not out yet, hint - the New version will have gorilla glass 3. It did appear briefly on the play store though (apparently), so its on the way!

Helvetio said:

As a Galaxy Nexus owner I am furious that it won't get the update to 4.4 and beyond. This stance by google may lead me not to get the Nexus 5, if it is only supported for 18 months. What bullshit!

As soon as I saw it's 5" phone that got me decided to order Moto X developer edition yesterday. I wish they made reasonable size of smartphone too.

Arris Arris said:

Release of Galaxy Nexus - 17 November 2011. So really that's just under 2 years of support from the devices release. Don't think that is too unreasonable to be perfectly honest. Although looks like most other older Nexus devices received at least one major OS version upgrade so can see how you can be disappointed.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Helvetio : It's an Android... xdadeveloper... get with the program.

Helvetio said:

Helvetio : It's an Android... xdadeveloper... get with the program.

Guest: Yes, you're right, I will do that, and thank god for xda. CM9 on my HP Touchpad is still going strong.

Just disappointed with Google on this one, that's all, especially since they are saying how 4.4 runs on 512MB RAM.

Arris Arris said:

It's only 4mm longer and less than 1mm wider than the Nexus 4 model. I too am not too keen on ever expanding smartphones but with the screen having grown with almost no size increase I can live with that.

IAMTHESTIG said:

So will it work on Verizon even though they aren't selling it?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Where's the 4.4 release? Anyone know the waiting time on N5? 4.4 should be available as soon as N5 is available.

Arris Arris said:

I've got postage confirmation and tracking information on mines so shouldn't be long before 4.4 should be appearing.

Edit : "Loaded to vehicle for delivery"