Samsung reportedly planning to launch smartphone with wrap around display next year

By on November 15, 2013, 7:30 AM
samsung, ces, curved display, galaxy round, wrap around display

Samsung made good on its promise to release a smartphone with a curved display earlier this year but that’s simply not enough for the South Korean tech giant. The company is expected to release a smartphone with a display that wraps around the edge of the device much like what we saw at this past year’s Consumer Electronics Show according to a new report from Bloomberg.

The obvious benefit of a smartphone with a wrap around display is that it could be viewed from the side. Things like stock tickers and push notifications could be seen without having to view the device head-on not to mention it’d probably look pretty cool to boot. Durability, however, could be called into question if you were to drop the device and it landed on the side with the screen.

We are hearing that the display for such a wrap around phone could be similar to the Youm panels used in the Galaxy Round, a phone that Samsung released in select regions (not in the US) last month.

The publication didn’t mention if the wrap around display would be added to an existing product line like the Galaxy or Note series of if it would launch as a one-off product. Samsung hasn’t yet decided on a release date either although sometime during the second half of 2014 seems most likely.

I’m not sure that there’s any real indication that consumers would want a wrap around device but that certainly isn’t stopping Samsung from experimenting with the idea. Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks!

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

This is the design I saw a while back that got me excited. The Round and Flex don't interest me in the least.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I like this curve on the edge better than the iPhone graphic where the peak of the curve was in the center of the display. I can't think of anything that would necessitate a display such as this. I guess I'd need to spend some time with the phone to determine if this is a useful feature for me.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Although I'm pretty disdainful of curved displays I gotta admit this one look pretty cool, not terribly practical but cool nonetheless.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

I want one that works like those snap bracelets of the 90s. Where it's straight like ruler and you whack it against your wrist and it snaps into a bracelet. You wouldn't even have to keep them in your pocket then, and you could use your phone and have both hands free.

The more I think about this, the more I feel I should stop talking about it and go file a patent.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said: