Samsung Galaxy S5 to come in metal and plastic variants, pack serious power

By on January 13, 2014, 7:30 PM
galaxy, android, samsung, smartphone, plastic, galaxy s5, samsung galaxy s5, metal

During CES 2014 it was revealed that Samsung is gearing up to release a new flagship smartphone in March or April, naturally destined to be the successor to the hugely popular Galaxy S4. With a release only months away, SamMobile has received some details on the handset from an "insider", giving us an idea of what to expect.

Previously we heard that Samsung may turn to metal for the body of the Galaxy S5, but SamMobile claims that the company will release both a plastic and metal variant of the device. The idea here is that the metal variant would be the premium model reportedly costing around €800 (US$1090), with the plastic model coming in at a cheaper €650 (US$890). Whether the two variants will contain different internals remains unknown.

Rumored specifications for the Galaxy S5 include a 2560 x 1440 AMOLED display around 5.25-inches in size, plus a 16-megapixel rear camera. Like with the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3, Samsung will use both upcoming Qualcomm Snapdragon and Samsung Exynos SoCs to power the Galaxy S5.

The Snapdragon 805 is slated for inclusion in the Galaxy S5, featuring a 2.5 GHz quad-core Krait 450 CPU, Adreno 420 GPU and a fast LPDDR3 memory controller providing up to 25.6 GB/s of bandwidth. An Exynos 6 SoC will also feature in some models (likely the premium metal model), likely packing an eight-core 64-bit CPU and a powerful next-gen GPU.

SamMobile also reports that the Galaxy S5 mini and Galaxy S5 Zoom will be launched after the Galaxy S5, with announcements scheduled for June and May respectively. Both devices will pack AMOLED displays and Android 4.4 'KitKat', but not much else is known beyond that.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

5.25inch and $1090? This is the phone variant we're talking about.

No thanks.

veLa veLa said:

Of course these are all rumors to taken with a grain of salt.

JC713 JC713 said:

5.25inch and $1090? This is the phone variant we're talking about.

No thanks.

Yeah that is way too expensive.

Of course these are all rumors to taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah I see no reason why Samsung would sell a phone for >$1000. They wouldnt do that.

2 people like this | Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

Its amazing 200, 300 ,400 etc the prices just keep going up o good phone should cost no more than $200.00

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thats where I draw the line, no more than $200. I keep looking at $600 phones, but can't talk myself into paying for them. Not when calling and taking occasional pictures is all I'd use it for.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Great, now I will able to make theoretical simulations of supernova explosions on my cellphone

Another Apple idea copied by samsung .

New Galaxy S5 (metal)

New Galaxy C5 (plastic but colorful)

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

A phone costing more than a Grand? Well if the metal variant is made from 24 k gold then the price should be fine but the plastic model should cost no more than 250 bucks.

Nobina Nobina said:

Another Apple idea copied by samsung .

New Galaxy S5 (metal)

New Galaxy C5 (plastic but colorful)

Well I don't see other options. Everyone complained about plastic because it feels cheap. To offer both seems like a good option.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Another Apple idea copied by samsung .

New Galaxy S5 (metal)

New Galaxy C5 (plastic but colorful)

You realise that Apple didn't invent colourful plastic or metal?

Xyvis said:

Wrong! Apple invented colorful plastic phones, phones with glass screens and backs, and phones with aluminum.

Oh they also invented 4G LTE and the color gold!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Apple did not invent colorful plastic which they put on their phone. The suggestion of ownership is absurd. I remember having colorful plastic toys back in the 70's, while Apple was being formed as a company.

The gold diggers back in the 1800's would probably argue with you, on Apple inventing the color gold. If you still want to argue after speaking with the folks of the 1800's, go back farther in time and speak with a few Kings and Queens. I'm sure they will have your head on a stake, over the concept.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Oh they also invented 4G LTE and the color gold!

Extreme sarcasm? The price of this phone is extreme... however if they allow contracts and this gets the price down to or below $300 I will be getting it. It's basically an expensive toy to me, but a tool as well. I use my phone to analyze networks (as basic as it may be) view cameras from Geovision systems, and of course the typical streaming music via Bluetooth and chromecast. Not to mention whatever else I'm forgetting.

No talk of the iris scanner in this article? or did I skim over it? For that price, they better have this and more features... not just a metal chassis/shell.

1 person liked this | Xyvis said:

As Trillionsin said, my post was extreme sarcasm. Obviously Apple didn't invent any of those things. I just thought it was funny how a guest posted earlier that it was a copy off of Apple. Whether guest was joking or not, no idea so I thought I'd post something ridiculous.

I really thought the "Apple invented 4G LTE" would have given it away.

I hope that they really work on the camera. To me even though my Samsung Charge is now 2.5 years older than my S4 the camera is far superior. It doesn't over process and I don't get the dreaded red square as often accompanied by the wonderfully blurry photos it can produce.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I really thought the "Apple invented 4G LTE" would have given it away.
Sorry, I've no clue as to who came out with 4G. The comment did seem out of place, I guess it should have registered but it didn't.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oh, I bet the $1090 price is to retail. I would be surprised if anyone actually pays that. Most contracts would cover the majority of the costs. I would guess that consumers see $299 for the upgrade on contract.

Tygerstrike said:

As an individual who deals with cellphones everday let me be the first to tell you guys that cellphones cost a whole lot more then JUST $200. Most of your smartphones start at $500+. That the RETAIL cost of a phone. No one ever wants to pay that price. Companies like Tmoble no longer subsidize their phones and the other carriers are starting to take notice. Given the amount of wireless fraud that the american consumer perpitrates on a daily basis, the cellphone carriers are going to start adding the ENTIRE cost of the phone so the CUSTOMER pays it all. They will follow Tmobles lead and you will be paying a per month fee for your phone for the life of your contract. This is going to add to what the customer pays per month. Once this rolls out the carriers will have to change their business models. This happens every few years, and I can point to one feature that you all enjoy now, unlimited texting. A few years ago, when everyone was jumping ship to prepaid. The carriers modified their phone pricing and gave unlimited texting. When they do the next great shake up, they will have to give unlimited data for forcing the customer to pay FULL PRICE for their phone.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Relax about the price, guys. It's not for sale yet. That means a crazy price is probably meant to a) get people to talk about it, which we are, and b) give the impression that there is $1000 worth of awesome in that phone. Then when they price it at $650 it'll seem like a great deal.

personally, I'm more interested in new features than just bigger numbers on every spec. More resolution just means less battery life at this point.

Luay said:

These phone prices are getting less competitive because of all the carriers that subsidize part of the cost to lure customers in. Kind of like what happened to medical expenses because of health insurance.