Google is working to provide 10 gigabit Internet speeds

By on February 14, 2014, 3:30 PM
google, internet

According to a USA Today report, Google is working on increasing data transfer speeds for its Fiber Internet service by 10 times. Patrick Pichette, Chief Financial Officer at Google, announced during the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet conference that developers at Google are endeavoring to attain data transfer rates of 10 gigabits per second. Its Google Fiber service in Kansas City currently offers speeds of 1 gigabit per second.

Pichette said that faster data transfer speeds will push the use of software as a service (SAAS) because users will be able to trust that data-intensive critical applications will sprint smoothly over the Internet without any trouble. When asked about the probable timeline, Pichette said that the company is working to make it available in approximately three years.

One could safely assume that only a few U.S. residents will experience these speeds in the near future as it is highly likely that the search giant would launch these upgraded speeds in areas where Google Fiber network already exists. In other words areas like Kansas City or Austin could be the testing ground for the technology.

Google is not the only one working on such high speed data transfers over the Internet. Last year, researchers at UK achieved data transmission speeds of 10 gigabits per second through "Li-fi", a wireless Internet connectivity technology that uses light.

1 person liked this | 9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well 4K is what? About 16 Mbps streaming? So, yeah, 10,000 Mbps will do it Google. How nice it would be to live in one of these cities.

wastedkill said:

If google wanted they could create a monopoly I know that pretty much 50-60% of the UK would gladly accept 1Gbps broadband specially if it costs less than £200 a month, I would gladly pay for it as well.

google please create a monopoly so the terrible UK ISP's learn to grow up instead of living in the 1840's

Nima304 said:

It'd be remarkable if any major ISP in the world increased its Internet speeds by 50%, Google's increasing their speeds by 1000% without anyone asking.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

South Korea is likely to deploy it first, as usual. They have been the rabid dog of the internet speeds for a while...

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Screw the speed, ditch the bandwidth caps. I don't understand why people are scrambling for such speed when the services are specifically set up to guarantee you can't use it. The cloud isn't going to take off in a big way until that changes.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Dear Google, Don't bother with 10GbE, expand gigabit to the Washington Metropolitan Area. Me luv u long time and would gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today.

Scshadow said:

Speed is one of the excuses that could be used to support bandwidth cap. If an ISP doesn't have the speed to provide a certain level of quality, then bandwidth caps are used to prevent congestion to the point where the network is unusable. In my mind, if speeds are astronomically high, then that'll be one less excuse for bandwidth caps.

But thats a moot point with Google fiber isn't it? Its not like they have a bandwidth cap right? And for other fiber ISPs to actually compete (presuming that they would in the first place), they would have to match Google's own policy. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to be in a real hurry to rush out infrastructure. If google doesn't roll out to more locations, I don't see other fiber ISPs being concerned about competing.

Pavi_24 Pavi_24 said:

Li-Fi?

So people will be sitting under light for Internet conectivity..!!

Isn't that funny?

psp100travis psp100travis said:

I'm told by my local time warner cable that my 20mbps turbo internet for $80 is better than google fiber.

Scshadow said:

I would love to hear someone try to tell me that!

I totally agree, great those cities, might as well not even say anything, except in local papers.