Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is Out!

By Derek Sooman on June 25, 2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks to Mictlantecuhtli, for making this post here, where he draws our attention to the fact that Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 has now been released.

You go can here for the fixlist, which includes a wide range of bug fixes, security fixes, etc.

I don't see anything on the Official Microsoft Site, but I am sure that that's on its way.

As always, its recommended that you backup your existing configuration before applying service packs, especially if its on a mission critical server.

Network install - 130M

Express install - 600k

aoj145 said:
Great, that'll help me fix all the Service Pack 3 problems until Service Pack 5 comes out to fix the problems that 4 causes. Yeah, Microsoft!!!
Phantasm66 said:
As I pointed out, [b]MAKE A BACKUP!!![/b]SP4 just trashed my server (blue screen on every boot).Fortunately, I do have a backup, and was back in business within 20 minutes.Just be careful. As with kernel compiles in linux, remember that you are upgrading its brains, so have plan b ready just in case.
aoj145 said:
Great, I just installed it. Now I'm afraid to boot up... LOL :P
Phantasm66 said:
Hahahahah LOL! Please do and give us all a good laugh when it blue screens!!!(only kidding... ;) )
aoj145 said:
Ok, rebooted and everything is running fine. No problems so far.
Phantasm66 said:
I haven't bothered trying to get to the bottom of it yet, but I am sure its not much. Probably some kind of driver conflict, or somesuch. The machine is my NAT server, so I just wanted back on the internet and didn't bother even trying safe mode and looking at the event logs, etc.To tell the truth, I am thinking about moving to 2003 server, however one can't deny the obvious stability of an OS that's reached service pack 4, certainly from an NT point of view. A nice clean install of WIndows 2000 Server with service pack 4 straight on top before anything else probably runs like a treat.
Antiorganic said:
I agree, Phantasm. I've worked at a decent-sized NT web hosting company for awhile, and due to so many issues in Windows 2000 on our development/testing servers, we didn't upgrade our NT4 servers until SP2 came out.It's probably best to make sure that everything is perfect before you deploy.
Phantasm66 said:
I've installed service pack 4 on my experimental server install on my 2nd machine (where its a domain controller with ISA server, exchange, oracle, etc) and its fine.
Unregistered said:
Rick said:
[quote][b]Originally posted by Phantasm66[/b]SP4 just trashed my server (blue screen on every boot). [/quote][quote][b]Phantasm also stated[/b]however one can't deny the obvious stability of an OS that's reached service pack 4[/quote]almost paradoxical... Is it not? ;)
Rick said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Unregistered [/i][b][quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66 [/i][b]As I pointed out, [b]MAKE A BACKUP!!![/b]SP4 just trashed my server (blue screen on every boot).Fortunately, I do have a backup, and was back in business within 20 minutes.Can you give me some pointers about what i should back up? [/b][/quote] As far as backing up goes, I find it easiest to use Norton Ghost in these instances.
SNGX1275 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i][b]almost paradoxical... Is it not? ;) [/b][/quote] LOL, and the Rick is back!
Phantasm66 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Unregistered [/i][b][quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66 [/i][b]As I pointed out, [b]MAKE A BACKUP!!![/b]SP4 just trashed my server (blue screen on every boot).Fortunately, I do have a backup, and was back in business within 20 minutes.Can you give me some pointers about what i should back up? [/b][/quote] We probably have the same issue. I will try and find out what it is. You should Drive Image or Norton Ghost your system, or at least backup the system state before applying a service pack.