P4 3.6ghz Socket Lga 775
i have a DFI 915p - tag mobo
120GB HDD
256Mb radeon X300 graphics card
768Mb PC3200 DDR 400mhz ram
and more which i do not think is relivent
but my problem comes in when trying to install windows:
The problem I am having is

When I am installing windows XP pro just during the start of the installation (it is blue screen straight after I boot from CD) just when it says starting windows at the bottom the screen will go completely blank for a few seconds and then another blank screen will come up saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop message screen restart your computer.

If it appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. (Yup got 120GB)

If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with manufacturer updates (I don’t have windows so I haven’t installed any drivers)

Try changing video adapters (am going to soon when my mate gets here with a old 4MB PCI graphics card)

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates (have updated bios to latest version)

Disable cahing or shadowing memory (have disabled the memory caching)

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer and press F8 to select advanced start up options then select safe mode (there is no safe mode as there is no OS installed)

Technical info

***stop 0x0000007E ( oxc 0000005, oxf9a380bf, oxf9e84208, oxf9e834208, 0xe9e83f08

*** PCI.SYS address f9a380bf base at f9a31000, date stamp 3b7d8ssc

I have also tried installing windows 98 using a start up disk and the CD rom

With this it gets right up to you putting in the date and then you insert and the computer cuts all power off so you can not access windows at all

I have tried both of these at least 3 times and am getting quite annoyed with the lot now

I have built about 6 PC’s in the past but have never had problems like this.

Thanks and I would really like your help soon :hotbounce
Cheers, Tane

Mule:- have you just built your system? If so, have you tried running it with the minimum hardware? (ie, just the m/board, processor, ram, HDD, and graphics).

If it works like that, then just reboot adding one piece of hardware at a time, and eventually, you'll find the bit that's causing the problem.

mule91 said:
hi, did you ever manage to solve this as i have the same problem with the same motherboard.
cheers.

Are you getting the exact same error message?

What are your system specs?

Regards Howard

BTW

Hello and welcome to Techspot. :wave: :wave:

thanks for the response, guys.
i 've tried installing on a basic setup, as you recommend but with no luck. i am getting exactly the same message.
i have just built this system so it's a fresh install.
my equipment is:-
dfi lanparty uv 915 p t12
prescott 550 cpu
2 x 512 ocz ddr400 el
radeon x800 xt
hiper 480w
maxtor 6y200mo sata
nec dvd rom

i've tried different graphics card, hard drive and memory again with no luck.
thanks for the link. maybe the bios upgrade could be worth a try.

thanks again for any help.

mule

put the hard drive in a different computer, installed XP and then swapped back into DFI setup. worked a treat. shouldn't have to mess like that, but got there in the end.
cheers

You''l need Windows XP SP2 to support a PCI-Express graphics card.

DFI's homepage says:

If you are using only PCI-Express graphics card, the only choice is to boot from the complete edition of Windows XP SP2.

If you intend to install with Windows XP or Windows XP SP1 and then use the upgrade kit of SP2, please disable PCI-Express in BIOS before starting the installation.

Under this circumstance, only PCI graphics card can help you monitoring the installation process at this stage. Then, upgrade the version to SP2. After upgrading is successfully completed, you can enable PCI-Express and start using PCI-Express graphics card.

Will not work for me

I've tried all you suggested, disabling the two references to the PCI Ex in the BIOS, and also disabling the cardreader, installing the PCI card, but the installation still stops at the same place. There must besomething else that XP Prof (without the service packs) does not like, but I have not yet found it.

Thanks

Worked a treat - now up & running with XP Pro SP2 - couldn't make my CD bootable as I didn't have the Microsoft Corporation.img file, but I upgraded from XP Home SP2 with the non-booting CD.

Thanks again.

thanks

this thread saved my bacon.

i was having the same "pci.sys" problem (BSOD on Win XP install) on a brand new Dell XPS 400. It came with a Radeon X300 (a PCI-Express card).

The XP SP2 slipstreamed disc solved this problem.

I had another problem with hard drive recognition that was related to my SATA settings in the BIOS.

thanks!
cranbo

XP with SP2 is the ONLY answer

I had the same error and tried 11 hours worth of fixes. The only thing that will work is XP with SP2 slipstreamed in it. XP with SP2 in it from the get go is the only thing that will work!! I hope I'm being clear: XP with SP2!! Nothing else will work.

Welcome to Techspot.

ok, you PM'd me, but I fail to see what your problem is.

You say that the only thing that will work is an xp disk with sp2 slipstreamed onto it, which implies you have such a disk, and you've tried it.

If you haven't got such a disk, and haven't tried it, then you know that it's the stated solution and so you should go and get it done useing the instructions supplied.

I fail to see the problem.

PS, consider yourself incredibly lucky. I don't usually respond to please for my help by PM. If I stared doing that I'd get very irritated very quickly by people begging me all the time. Please don't do it again.

Now... please could you explain your problem? Be as verbose as you like - the worst you'll do is inconvenience a few electrons, and a major plus would be that someone (myself included) might be able to help you once the problem is explained.

EDIT: My god, and my mistake. I was subscribed to this thread - I opted out of being notified on reply to subscribed threads. You didn't PM me, I just scanned the email and thought you did. lol. Notifications of replies didn't even occur to me.

XP with SP2 is the answer

Hey, Spike! What fun. Yes, I tried everything personally, otherwise I would not post. I am not guessing. The answer is XP with SP2. I tried all the usual stuff for 11 hours and I kept on getting the same pci.sys error. Specifically, I tried bios upgrades and downgrades, changing video cards, using the WD hard drive tools, removing all expansion cards and connectors, and on and on and on. Then, I finally used an XP disc with SP2 slipstreamed in (i.e. the latest XP disc) and it worked perfectly. So, a pci.sys error (BSOD) is not a hardware problem at all, but a windows version issue. XP with SP2 is the only version that will work when there is a PCI-E slot. I posted this here to share, and hopefully help others avoid the 11 hours of trial and error. XP with SP2!!!

Thank You for all your questions and anwsers.

Just wanted to thank you all for your questions and anwsers. Your questions lead me hear through Google and your anwsers got me through a long bout with XP and my new DELL XPS. The Slipstreamed version works great. Thanks again one and all

Thank you *bows*

Thank you so much, i was trying for 2 days with this same error before i finally found this thread. As soon as i changed to a SP2 version of windows all went perfect. Thanks for putting an end to my pain.

Colin

win xp pro error

I have a similar error, will this also work?

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF783e0BF, 0xF7c4e208, 0xf7c4df08)

*** pci.sys - address f783e0bf base at f7837000, datestamp 3b7d855c

Will I also need to use Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2, for this problem?

I have ASUS P5WD2-E PREMIUM mobo
NVIDIA 6800GS PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Can anyone help?

Yes it should

I have the same motherboard and a similar videocard. Apparently its all to do with PCI-Express needing SP2 installed to work. As long as the version of windows has SP2 with it, then you will have no dramas.

Yeh your right Colchar, you definitely need winxp with service pack 2. I was getting so frustrated and upset and kept thinking there's a fault with my graphics card, but it's ok now.

I can't believe it does not mention this in either my mobo manual or my graphics card manual. Them manufacturers need to inform customers about these things.

now I'm getting a problem with my soundcard which is on a normal PCI SLOT, slot 2 I think. Should it be on Slot 1, does it matter at all on what slot it's on?

The XP SP2 answer makes so much sense. That saved me a bit of a heart attack. Though I bought bad equipment.
But I do have a further question, I initially was trying to install XP pro x64.
It freezes at the same spot where x32 XP gives the pci.sys
As far as I can tell, there is no SP for x64.
If i cannot find a solution (hoping this PCI gfx card works temporarily for install) I plan on using the slipstrem I have and then upgrading to x64. Though I am afraid I may run into that problem again.
I hate doing upgrades, I greatly prefer fresh installs of new OSs.
Are there any ideas on how to proceed installing XP x64?

Thank you

same problem for me too

i have a laptop(1 gb ram,80 gb hard drive with windows xp media centre edition).i tried to install windows xp professional in it as another operating system but i got the following error msg........

stop:0x000000e(0xc0000005,0xf7612bf,0xf7a5e208,0xf7a5df08)

pci.sys-address F76120BF base at F760B000,date stamp 3b7d855c

if some one knows how to solve this error plz reply.thanks.

I was having this same problem while fixing up my buddy's Dell laptop, and everything I tried didnt work.

Thank god I found this thread/forum. The slipstream disc worked like a charm!

pci.sys stop error

hi
i have recently purchased some components.
p4 3.4 775
ecs pcg extreme motherboard
ati radeon x800gt pci ex
3 x 1 gb ddr2 667 mgz

this is to incorporate my existing hdd's which i want to keep intact.

i tried connecting everything and booting into safe mode from an existing windows partition an my hdd, but the system continually reboots after loading mup.sys or btkernel.sys.

this led me to try a fresh install onto a blank partition but i then get the stop error refering to pci.sys. the exact error is:
pci.sys - address f78350bf, base at f782e000, datestamp 3b7d855c.

i have tried another (identical) mobo, cpu ram and video card with exactly the same error.

the xp disk i am trying to reinstall from is only sp1, but the existing windows partition that i hoped to boot into safe mode with is sp2.

i have also disabled pracically everything in the bios which makes no difference.

i am mere hours away from taking this kit back to the large nationwide chainstore and telling them to sort it or refund my money.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Back