Blue Screen Error NV4_disp file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm really hoping someone on here can help me. I have a Dell Deminsion 8300 (80GB;2yrs old) running Windows XP Prof. On Friday (11/11) I started getting the blue screen error regarding the NV4_disp file and a continuous loop, etc. I had also received an error window prior to the blue screen stating "display driver failed" and my screen had a lot of static and was very slow. I spoke with someone at Dell and he had me run a bunch of diagnotics, said everything was fine and that I probably have a virus. They routed me to the "software" dept. at Dell and the next guy said there was nothing to be done. He had me set up a parallel Windows and told me to make a backup of any programs I wanted to keep because I'd have to reinstall the whole OS. I spoke with a third guy Sat. morning...he determined that I did have a bad driver (he also wondered why the 1st guy hadn't caught it!). He had me disable it and I could then get into my "old" windows. But now he tells me that since I did a parallel install that I should still redo my system because after a month or two it wouldn't work anymore!! I also started getting the error "SPRINGFLD_ADV_DAEMON:Wkscal.exe....entry point not found". I looked that up and have found that this error has to do with my Works Calendar. I spoke with a 4th guy today and he told me that I'd probably be OK with the dual install because I have 80GB, but because of the second error he would still reinstall everything. I'm VERY frustrated! I have a lot of info. on my computer and would rather not take the route they seem to be pushing. Since Dell has now given me 4 different answers, I thought I'd ask for some opinions outside of Dell. Is there any way to fix this or is the best course of action to replace the OS?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
LeanneR

I believe that NV4 file has to do with a Nvida video driver. Either your driver is corrupt, or the video card is bad. I would try and uninstall the old driver, if it hasn't already been removed, and re-install the latest driver from the Nvidia site. If that doesn't clear the error, then it is probably your Video card that is bad.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html

Sounds like Dell has you all screwed up now, so it is hard to recommend anything without knowing more about this parallel operating system that them clowns had you do. Unfortunately, you will have to get that straightened out. Too bad you can't charge Dell for all your trouble.

If you have a working CD burner, get some CDs and copy all your important data that you can, just to be safe.

Thanks for your reply Just. Dell had me install another Windows XP in another partition and name it "Windows2/backup". After all of the answers they've given me, I'm not sure I trust them to walk me through wiping out my system and performing a new system install. I have a WD external hard drive with copies of all my docs, etc. If after getting the video card/driver fixed is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to have both OS on my computer? I REALLY don't want to redo everything. Yeah, I agree it is too bad that I can't charge them...just think I actually paid for them to "help" me with this!!

Thanks again!
Leanne

Hi,

User patchfp86 send me a private message today. His blue screen is resolved after he upgrades the BIOS and he is using DELL. You can send him a private message to ask for the detail.

After you upgrade BIOS and the crash still occurs, the crash may be caused by faulty ram or device driver error. The system event log and the minidump has the most useful diagnostic information.When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 or 1003 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and 1003 and it has the content of the blue screen.

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Description:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001/1003. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps to a zip file and attach it at any webspace. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

I too - having same problem BUT - MAY have solved (at least it has not done it again in my first play test with BF2). I have a Geforce 7800GT and have upgraded to drivers several times, after experiencing this lousy "nv4_disp" BSOD bugaboo - I Uninstalled my Nvidia Drivers, then used Driver Cleaner Pro (Google) so it scoured out ANYTHING Nvidia in the system; the re-installed the Latest N. Drivers. Tested this AM and did not get the BUG (knock on wood).
I also went to Nvidia site and searched out their tips - ONE thing I found that they said to do that MAY have helped. they said with their Cards your PCI Latency should be set at 128 (I went into BIOS and mine was 64 - Ichanged it of course).

Good Luck, Michael

I've run across this issue a few times and it's always been a driver issue. Windows tries updating the video driver and next thing you know you get a blue screen. Simply log in to safe mode and roll back the driver. Pay attention to the Driver date and version, it probably changes back to a more current date. You'll then be prompted to reboot and it should boot up normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back