Removing an eMail stuck in outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Best Alias

First off, I personally do not use Outbreak or Outbreak Express. This problem is on a friend's computer. What has happened is that he got an offending eMail approximately 18MB in size and it has completely locked up outlook. I used mail2web to remove the offending eMail from the pop3 server but unfortunately there's a copy stuck in his inbox locally. When you launch Outbreak, the application locks up immediately and the CPU stays railed at 100%. I tried to open the pst file with notepad but he hasn't deleted an eMail ever from what I can tell. The pst file size is in excess of 1GB and I let notepad try to open if for 20 minutes before I gave up.

Does anybody have the magic solution? I'd like to help this man out w/o wiping out his address book and any important saved eMails.

Thanks!
-Richard

You can backup his Outlook functions using these methods HERE
May be you can help him migrate over to Thunderbird for his mail client.

Well that's a nice idea and all making a backup but, Outbreak locks up immediately upon launch, which means there ain't no clicking the export button.

SOLUTION:

step 1 is to remove the offending eMail from the pop3 server using a 3rd party web-based mail client. I used mail2web.com. This prevents Outbreak from getting a fresh copy of the offending SPAM when popping.

step 2 is to launch Outbreak from a command prompt with the argument nopreview. This is simply done by clicking run and typing "outlook /nopreview" ( w/o the quotes). The crash was caused by the user leaving the preview window open by default and the offending eMail was crashing in an attempt to preview 18mb of garbly-goop. Once Outbreak was able to start up, I simply deleted the offending SPAM.

I found the solution at http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm

I have convince my friend to 1, clean up his existing eMail folders and 2, make the leap to Thunderbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back