BSOD BCCode:124 New Alienware has me Alienwary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first off this looks like a great community and I want to say thanks in advance to any help that you folks can give. I just bought a new Alienware; please don't flame or laugh, I know I could have built one just as good for much less money, and I did for my wife. However, for me I wanted the cool toy. She of course is letting me know every time I BSOD that her machine is working fine for a lot less $$. At any rate I am getting BSOD quite frequently, especially when in game (WOW). At any rate let me get to the facts:

Config-

Processor: QX6700
Motherboard: EVGA Nforce 680I SLI MB
Memory: PDP 1GB DDR2 Low Latency PC-6400 AW108 X 2
Harddrive: Seagate 250GB Sata 3G 7200RPM 8MB CACHE
Video: EVGA Nvidia GTX8800 768MB

I have added the following two items: Logitech G15 keyboard, Razer/Microsoft Habu Mouse. I downloaded the most recent version of drivers for these items. I had about 3-4 BSOD before I added these items, but my tech savy friends told me that was part of the "getting the kinks out" stage.

In two days I have probably had 10+ BSOD with the following error information:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 840F1D18
BCP3: B2000000
BCP4: 00000175
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

The minidump files are attached. I have done the following other steps:

1 - I opened the case to make sure everything was seated properly and all cables were plugged in.

2 - I downloaded the most recent Nvidia Geforce Drivers (released 2/10). Version: 7.15.11.65

3 - Held my temper in check.

Thanks again for any help or insight.

Attachments

• Mini022107-12.zip
    97 KB · Views: 6
nVidia + Vista = Massive Problems

I haven't analyzed your minidumps, but I'm sure the 2/10 release is terrible. There's a newer one out there. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.65.html

Uninstall your old drivers and give this one a whirl...

As proof, any company that posts something like is obviously having issues. :)
NVIDIA is committed to supporting Microsoft Windows Vista on current and previous GPU generations. It's important to us that you have an excellent experience through the Vista transition, and driver development is the highest priority in our company.

We are working diligently to make sure we achieve and maintain the level of driver quality and reliability that NVIDIA is known for. Over the coming weeks NVIDIA and our partners, along with the industry, will continue to update Windows Vista drivers to ensure maximum performance on 3D applications and add feature support.

For those of you that are using Windows Vista and experiencing any problems, we've set up a website for bug reporting – http://www.nvidia.com/vistaqualityassurance. Our product managers will be reviewing this information daily and will be contacting users to help resolve any issues they might be experiencing.

Thanks

Rick, thanks for the response, unfortunately that is the driver I have. Confusion on my part probably from going to device manager to look at the driver; the release date there shows 2.10 even though they released it on their web page on 2.20. I understand that the Nvidia and Vista combination is having issues, but the system I built for my wife (again the irony as she is currently having a great time at my expense) has the same graphics card and is running Vista with no issues.

EVGA NVIDIA 680i Update

There is a critical update available from NVIDIA / EVGA regarding problems with the SATA interface to the HDD. Follow this link and see if this is the problem. Of course you need to see if your PC is using the same manufacturers mainboard as mine is, but it sounds like we both have nearly identical PCs. (you may also see this update in your "hive" at alienware support). Note: It also looks like Alienware requires you to call their tech support to "help" you flash BIOS or you will void your warrenty (nice huh).

NVIDIA - http://www.nvidia.com/object/680i_hotfix.html

EVGA - http://evga.com/support/680i/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back