How do you Format a RAW USB Flash Drive under WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 98SE disc should be bootable. Boot from CD with CD Rom support. If it kick you into Windows setup, quit- it'll take you to a dos prompt, not reboot.

If not, you can find Win98 boot discs for download (floppy images) that will allow you to use the files off the 98 setup CD in a dos mode.

Hmm, did boot up with my 98SE bootdisk with CD support. Go to a dos prompt. Cannot locate USB to reformat. Recognise my

A: - virtual drive
B: - floppy
d: - CD/DVD

No usb drive!! Argh!!

USB 512 Memory Stick

I Have a similia problem and am in great need of help. My 512 USB memory stick is like Brand new. When I try to use it for the first time I get prompted to Format it. When I try formatting I get message that windows cannot format. I have tried going into administator to do it there, but get the same results, and what more, this is a 512mb memory stick, not a 8mb like the computer is saying. Is there any way to fix this problem, or do I have to find the nearest trash can? Please Help the Judge.

When i try to used my jumpdrive it ask me to insert a disk in drive, when i try to format it i get the message that windows could not format the drive what can i do yo repair my usb drive, i am using windows xp pro it is a (data traveler 512mb and a cruzer mini 1.0 gb drive)
Hope you could help me...

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi All,
Recently I have purchased 2GM simpletech USB 2.0 flash drive.When I tried to use in a WINXP computer, it is saying " the drive is not formatted? Do you want to format it?" . When i tried formatting, it is showing only two options FAT and FAT32. I tried selecting either of them. But at the end I am getting error message "The windows could not format your drive completely?"

Now, i am not able to use the flash drive.Can anyone help me in resolving this issue.?

Thanks,
Sreekanth

Hi All,
Recently I have purchased 64MB USB 2.0 flash drive.When I tried to use in a WINXP computer, it is saying " the drive is not formatted? Do you want to format it?" . When i tried formatting, it is showing only two options FAT and FAT32. I tried selecting either of them. But at the end I am getting error message "The windows could not format your drive completely?"

Now, i am not able to use the flash drive.Can anyone help me in resolving this issue.?

thanks for the help, kill disk worked wonders for me. the only problem was that i was only able to format in NTFS format. I took the option and it worked for my computer. but every usb stick i put in my pc, i have to format to ntfs format.

just a question. im not a technical wizz like everyone else here but, is NTFS compatible with all windows pcs??

now i have another problem. I used a mirror of the HP Utility Formatter, (or whatever it's called) and i formated my usb to a NTFS format. but after entering and re-entering it about 8 times (for a test) i found that my computer says i have to re-format it again. but like my problem before i try to format it everyway and it says that it is unable to format. i think i may be missing an important driver on my computer. but i have no idea which one.

I Solved My problem

I have 512 MB usb flash ram i repartition it in win xp.after re partition the size of my flash ram remains 470MB.

To solve this problem i remove flash ram's partition in win 2000 then i downloaded the software"KillDiskSuiteFree-Setup" which is sujested by MetroidFan2002. after install it i opened Active@ KillDisk for Windows
i erase flash ram in Active@ KillDisk for Windows.then i opened disk managment in win xp & jush format it & i got 512MB space .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back