Can't Install Malwarebytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have recently had some malware infect my computer. Was going through the 8 steps and after downloading Malwarebytes it won't let me install it - I was searching for a way to fix this and came across this post:

ok I can't post a link...

basically:

I've got what I believe to be malware.spyware on my computer and can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. It's taken over my desktop turned it black and has a message Warning Dangerous Spyware. I also have a pop-up stating Warning! Security report in the lower right hand corner.

I am unable to successfully install or run it now. I get numerous application error window pop-ups that states "exception EInvalidop in module MBAM-Setu-.tmp ... and a pop up stating INvalid Floating point operation.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

thanks

That worked.

I've run Norton a few times since and it never showed anything but after updating it and running again it came up with this:

Threat: Backdoor.Tidserv!inf

says the quarantine failed...no action taken.

Did the rest of the 8 steps and attached the logs. Not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread or if anyone can help me but I figured I'd try and keep the clutter to a minimum so if no one responds maybe I'll try a new thread. Thanks for the time.

Uninstall Norton (as stated by yourself it did not remove a found infection, and I hate it anyway!)
Then run the Norton Removal tool

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Un-install: Viewpoint Removal Tool

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

Then download Combofix
Lots of info on its use h e r e
Direct download h e r e

Save it to a location that you can easily find later (in Safe Mode) ie directly to C drive

Restart your computer to Safe Mode (by repeatedly pressing F8 on your keyboard before Windows starts)
Locate the previously downloaded Combofix
Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)

Once Combofix has finished, save the log file to be attached to a new reply
Restart back to Normal mode, and attach the Combofix log

Whilst waiting for my reply, you may want to re-open Malwarebytes; update it again; and then run another full scan

I'm glad you guys adopted the recommendation of using Combofix. Well done. Fabulous program.

If nothing else, I've opened the Techspot community to another excellent tool in the fight against scumware. That will be my legacy here. :)

The Eight Steps should be updated to include that tool. It's a crucial first step in the battle. Make note in the tutorial that they may need to rename the executable to something non-descriptive as infections coming out now are "Combofix-aware" and will prevent it from running.

Here's three more:

Dial-a-fix

WinsockXP Fix

LSP Fix

These are very good for when infections butcher the Winsock/TCP/IP stack entries. Quite often they latch themselves onto the stack, whether through the LSP (Layered Service Providers) or otherwise, to effect communication over the internet. Deleting the infection, then, will botch the stack, preventing internet communications. These tools fix that.

Rootkit Hook Analyzer

That last one is especially important. Quite often infections will hook themselves onto legitimate processes, causing infections to reoccur again in very short order. That tool will make them stand out like a sore thumb.

Combofix has been used and suggested to members way before you arrived adweston

Combofix is a general tool that helps the helper cleaning up a Hijackthis log.
It is able to remove some common infections and helps a user detect files that general scanners cannot find.
It also lists registry keys such as the key keys, the desktop keys, and other areas where malware hide.
The tool has some rootkit detectors too, allowing a helper to see if a rootkit is present on the PC

It's as good as (but different to) smitfruadfix and many other tools on the Net
The 8-step guide has served many members well on its own

You can suggest other tools be attached to the 8-step guide at any stage, through site feedback forum ;)

Oh. Indeed people have mentioned they use it.. *sigh*.

Way to burst my bubble.

Well, it needs to be in the "eight steps". I'll post it in that forum you mentioned.

OK, completed those steps, here's the logfile. Going to update and run malwarebytes now.

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 5
Wow, that was definitely worth it :grinthumb

Whilst waiting for my reply, you may want to re-open Malwarebytes; update it again; and then run another full scan
Please continue as quoted above

Then restart
Then provide a new HJT Scan log
Plus the clean Malwarebytes log (Oh. before starting, always confirm it's updated first)

Oh and remove Ad-aware
Also I noticed you didn't remove Symantec (even though confirmed it has not helped you) Your choice though ;)

I did remove Symantec - or thought I did at least...uninstalled it and don't see it. Removed ad-aware and ran Malware/HJT again. Here are the logs. Thanks a ton. Not sure if everything is good but all the symptoms are gone.

Looks lots better :grinthumb
Mind you some strange names starting up, but all seem to be legit

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache
Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back