Own 9600gt what is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12johnni

I have an Nvidia GeForce 9600gt MD512. I have actually got it to work after a lot of trouble in my x16 slot with different drivers from windows update that didn't crash it. But there is no performance increase from the 4x Slot. My Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz outran the graphics every time. Even at low settings at high fps it only used 60% and now I've set it to OC at Bclk 152 MHz or at around 3.35GHz. So it shames the grahics, but makes no performance increase.

I will be able to have A$200 (US$186) in my hand fairly easily, and I can go more, but what is an affordable graphics card that will easily out run the 9600GT and catch up with my cheapo cpu?

I was looking at from ATI (My MOBO P7P55D LE is supporting ATI Crossfire only)
a) The Radeon HD 5750
b) The Radeon HD 5770
c) The Radeon HD 5850 when I have A$400 (US$372 I think)

Not interested in vapor x or factory o.c I like things simple. I can o.c as I like. Which ones would catch up or leave the cpu behind and shame the 9600GT noticably?

Thanks Again,

12johnni.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 9600gt MD512. I have actually got it to work after a lot of trouble in my x16 slot with different drivers from windows update that didn't crash it.

Did you use the latest drivers from nVidia for your card? Why use Windows update to get graphics drivers when you have a discrete device?

Anyway, to answer your main question, the HD 5770, as DBZ correctly pointed out, would be the best in terms of price / performance. You could also look into the HD 5830.

Thanks that was the one I was most likely to buy. But how many times better is it?

All I can say is that it's much better. Look at a few benchmarks online. There's one here at Techspot. I think that since it's release there might have been further performance improvements with the newest Catalyst drivers.

**EDIT: Just beat me to it DBZ. :D

imo go with the 4890 and upgrade when dx 11 games are actually main stream. also as rit said always get drivers from ati.com not windows update lol thats probably why your card performs so badly.

I didn't know there was a HD 5830. Is the performance relative to it's number ie. better than the HD 5770 and slower than the HD 5850?

Correct.
Here's a fairly up to date review-This page has a head-to-head comparison for most of the commonly used card/s (I set it for HD 5770 v HD 5830) the rest of the review has the standard graphs from a wide range of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back