Haven't posted in a while... programming

cfitzarl said:
You need to release some beta maps for us :D !
:grinthumb

I have to get the physics rolling first. Then a beta "map" which you can navigate in (move + jump is all I'm thinking right now). Then portals.

Then other stuff.

;)

Also, this WILL fall back to a non-shader material if you can't handle it. But, of course, it'll be ugly. Really ugly.

BTW, all credit goes to my modelers for that map - I'm just the programmer :D. And... yeah, I'll give Sierra credit for the nice F.E.A.R. textures ;) Ogre, too, for a good example of a normal map.

EDIT: The visual part is a mess right now. The physics are a lot more tidied, and put in v01dEngine. Currently have and working on v01dEngine::physics::Simulation, v01dEngine::physics::Object, and v01dEngine::physics::SimulationUpdater. Why "simulation updater"? So you can customize time. No more boring, linear time. One frame it's slowmo, the next it's fastmo :D

Well, a portal can mean 2 things:

Forum Portal = Front Page
Portal = Weird thing you can walk through and be in some other location :grinthumb !

... and here comes my parallax/normal per-pixel shader that is an all-in-one solution...

screenshot2kf3.png

screenshot1vn0.png

screenshot1sa0.png

And it looks even better in motion...

Credits go to the Ogre parallax shader writers, as my "all-in-one-solution" is based off of theirs. It's, just, you know, a lot more feature-ful (specular maps, now emissive maps, diffuse maps, normal maps, height maps, ambient light, etc.).

mopar man 44 said:
Looks Great! If only I had the time......(To download the demo, and to learn more c++)
We don't have a demo of anything new (that is, parallax mapping and what not) ;)... Either way, thanks!

My GOD! O_________O

you programmed THAT!?!??!
You, my friend, have earned my respects as a programmer!

That is some hardcore stuff! How long did it take you to program the base and what compiler (if any) do you use?

You've got the makings of greatness in you! can't wait to see your name on the next popular game ^_^

Tom Mask said:
My GOD! O_________O

you programmed THAT!?!??!
You, my friend, have earned my respects as a programmer!

That is some hardcore stuff! How long did it take you to program the base and what compiler (if any) do you use?

You've got the makings of greatness in you! can't wait to see your name on the next popular game ^_^
Wow wow wow my friend, don't get all jumpy ;)

I'm using an already mature 3D rendering engine called Ogre ;) - I'd ... die if I had to write a 3D engine myself - remember, Ogre is made from a pretty large community. And the level itself + the textures is by my modelers (one made it, the other converted it)...

I'm just the programmer that uses the 3D rendering engine and the models to make it into a full-blown game. Obviously you can't just say "here's some models, turn it into a cool game with portals and gravity and stuff" to the rendering engine =).

BTW, this is called "Portalized". Mess-with-your-mind style.

Sorry 9_9;

Being a C++ programmer isn't something easy to do. I'm very very impressed you've gotten so far with it :)
I know some C++, but not enough to actually render my own games. (guess they have gaming engines for that purpose huh?) Thats not what I'm into exactly.

I guess you get alot of praise for doing so well at your age huh? :D

Tom Mask said:
Sorry 9_9;

Being a C++ programmer isn't something easy to do. I'm very very impressed you've gotten so far with it :)
I know some C++, but not enough to actually render my own games. (guess they have gaming engines for that purpose huh?) Thats not what I'm into exactly.
Yeah, there are also game engines out there that we could use... but we're making our own game engine. Just using a community engine (Ogre) for graphics as it's quite mature and supports a crap-load of features.
I guess you get alot of praise for doing so well at your age huh? :D
No, not really. I'm just the average 14YO wanna-be "super-1337" programmer. My mom tells me to study more in school as "my grades are dropping" (wow, I went from a 98 to a 96, my grades REALLY dropped! ;)) and when I'm programming she tells me that it "doesn't matter" because "there's a lot of time to do so ahead of you and in college".

Yeah, not the best support.

hehe... as long as it's an A by the end of the quarter, she shouldn't really care ^^;

But still, thats pretty awesome that you're doing what you love, whether or not you're 14. You can never be too early to learn that kind of stuff :D

What other languages do you know? :) its nice to know there's someone actually younger then I am who loves what I do too! X3

Tom Mask said:
hehe... as long as it's an A by the end of the quarter, she shouldn't really care ^^;

But still, thats pretty awesome that you're doing what you love, whether or not you're 14. You can never be too early to learn that kind of stuff :D

What other languages do you know? :) its nice to know there's someone actually younger then I am who loves what I do too! X3

... does... C count :D

Nothing else, really. I can read/write Ogre .material scripts... And partial Lua.

And... emissive mapping!!! (as well as ambient lighting, too, now)

screenshot1ik8.png

-normal/height } m
-emissive`````} a
-specular`````} p
-diffuse``` ```} s

w00t...

And for the linux/MacOS guys:

screenshot1qj4.png

w00t OpenGL!!!

And everything runs the same. Reason is because of the high-level CG shader language I'm using ;) (kudos to the creaters, NVidia I think they were)...

You can see the stuff more clearly here:

screenshot1zl1.jpg

Notice how the emissive mapping "obeys" the parallax mapping?

you used a simple .jpg copy / paste over and over on the wall patterns right?

thats really cool :) what's does? like DOS program?

Tom Mask said:
you used a simple .jpg copy / paste over and over on the wall patterns right?

thats really cool :) what's does? like DOS program?
Does as in ... does. You know...

Like:

Does that taste good?

So basically I said "does C count?", but since I wanted some pauses in there, it turned out "... does ... C count?" :D

As for the textures, Peab (one of the modelers) made them. Like I said, 2 modelers, 2 programmers (me = lead programmer) - I'm just the programmer :D

Well, I DO do some graphics stuff. I had to edit the material for the whole scene to use my different shader and so on. But the actual texture and geometry itself is by my modeler.

I completely re-wrote the parallax shader from the ground up according to this doc:

screenshot2ab0.png

screenshot1em0.png

screenshot1lf1.png

screenshot1bf2.png

screenshot3pf0.png

Last thing I got to do for this shader is spotlight support.

Video 1

Video 2

If you don't want to waste time, just watch Video 2 - Spotlights. If you got time to watch details and stuff, watch both of them, 1 first, 2 second.

(shows bumpy parallax, multi-lights with multi-passes, spotlight, tangent generation per-vertex)

Graphics look amazing :grinthumb ! Good Luck....you need to to a mass Demo for all of us here to play :D !

Thanks! BTW, the purple... "spot" you see is actually a blue spotlight. It simply combines with the red and makes that purple "spot". Technically, my shader supports infinite lights... although, the processing power it'd need for say... 100 lights ... is, well...

If anyone has a spare 8800ultra to donate for my ... *cough* uhm, developing needs...

:D :p :blush:

How far are you in the develpement? Is there a plot for the game :suspicou ? You should post it on SourceForge :D !

Back