Far Cry, Best Singleplayer FPS Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDoMM

Im gonna make a bold statement in saying this, but imo, Far Cry, is the best singleplayer FPS in the history of games, it is amazing.

Before this game i held Half Life as my favourite Singleplayer experience, but tbh now Far Cry has just beaten it hands down.

After playing the demo i thought it was gona be a great game, but the demo is actually not much like the actual game, the demo makes it seem like a humerous almost Serious Sam'ish kinda rcade shoot em up, but the full version is far more serious than that.

As you progress through the game, your character becomes less and less upbeat about things untill you xan almost sense fear in his voice, which is really cool coz thats how you feel too. The game is like a mixture between Doom / Return to castle Wolfenstein but with a plot like the movie, "The Island Of Dr Mareau" (think thats what its called).

The game's engine, the CryTek engine is the most advanced game engine out atm (will prolly be beaten hands down by HL2's Source engine and/or Doom 3's engine) but the scenes it can create are astounding, some of the outdoor scenes its capable of are epic, you can see for miles across one of the islands the game is based on, ive not seen very many game engines capable of creating really good indoor AND outdoor scenes *cough*cough*Quake engine*cough, but this one seems to have pulled it off in style.

From the highly dynamic interior lighting which casts shadows earily realisticlly, to the lense flare given fof from the sun outside it really adds to the feel of the game, the game is by no means like how the demo depicts, 50% of the game is based in massive Doom 3'ish indoor complex's which i must add has the best bum mapping ive ever seen in a game, i truely believe one of the major let downs in games which are now approaching photorealism is the lighting, and Far Cry's lighting is spot on, i cant emphasise how cool some of the scenes are, for example there this Half Life style turbine room with a fan spinning slowly at the top with light shing through it, the lighting it casts on the enemy models and the room is stunning.

you really have to buy the game to see what im on about, i get really excited about stuff like this (cant you tell :p) It has to be seen by yourself.

its not just the graphics which made me moist, you get a really weird feeling of space and distance in the game like ive not felt in many other other games, when you see the sheer enormity of some of the distances you have to cover you think to yourself "Criky, thats a long way". It all adds to the involvment in the game.

The bot AI is also in a different league to a lot of other games, they talk amongst each other, flank you, try to smoke you out and even hurl abuse at you as you try to kill them, i wont go into the OTHER types of enemy other than the Mercenaries which you will face (and will prolly scare the s**t out of you).

a bit of a let down is the amount fo weapons you get, its not how many weapons there are available to you its the fact that a lot of them are the same, only the Jackhammer shotgun is really any different to the multitude of Machine and Submachine guns you can get.

The game is infinately playable too, after i completed it on Average difficulty, i am playing it again now on a harder setting and trying to do the missions a bit differently, you have complete freedom over how you want to go about doing the missions, you can go in gung-ho (and die......multiple times) or try and take a more stealthy approach (harder, but very satisfying)

It deffinately worth your £30 or $40, its multiplayer too and the singleplayer is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge, took me almost 3 days playing it 6 hours a day to complete it, if perhaps a bit too long at the expensive of originality, the storyling is blatently ripped off from "The Island Of Dr Mareau".

Altogether, Far Cry is one kickass game, its one of the first of these new "Next gen" games and it offers a glympse of what games in the future are gonna be like, Ubi have really made a name for themselves with this one, and althought i think its number 1 spot wont be held for much longer with the likes of Doom 3 / Half Life 2 and Quake 4 ready to take over the world, i think its gonna be around for many years to come with promise of loads of mods beeing made for it.

altogether i give it 9.7/10 - One of the, if not THE best singleplayer experiences you'll ever play
:grinthumb

I should prolly note, that even on my system:

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
Radeon 9700Pro
512mb Corsair PC3200 RAM
Audigy 2

i still had to have the graphics on Medium, they range from Low, Medium, High and Very High.

Dont get me wrong, the graphics still looked splendid, but this game requires a BEAST of a PC to play it, next gen games require next gen PC's and i suspect it wont play to well on anything lower than a GeForce Ti4400.

It sort of has a Half Life / Doom 3 / Halo kind of mix to it.

I have basically the same system, and it runs pretty well for me. At the beginning of a new large area I drop a few FPS for a few seconds, but after that it runs fine.

:)

I have a similar system and the demo ran fine, but I wasn't too impressed with it. It just looked like Generic FPS #327 to me, the outdoor texturing was reasonable, but I don't think the graphics are really any better than any other game with have at the minute. As for the physics, the question is why do we need them, even half life 2s physics look like they are scriptted and are of limited use. And the AI didn't seem to do anything spectacular like you described, they just sat there waiting to be shot and ran at me in a straight line.

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
Radeon 9700Pro
512mb Corsair PC3200 RAM
Audigy 2

i still had to have the graphics on Medium
What reso are you running the game at? and are you using any AA/AF? My machine will run the demo fine at 1024*768 and all the settings on high :D. Can't wait for the full game.

I think Th3M1ghtyD8 is playing a different game to the rest of us.
The shaders alone are way beyound any other game avaliable today - just look at the water to see what i mean. It is also the first game to use full scene bumpmapping in the indoor scenes (as per the Research demo). The physics are not scripted in any way - thats the point. The uses are endless. There is one section in the 'Fort' demo where you can push heavy barrels off a ledge onto the unexpectant enemy below - crushing them dead! great fun to watch. Again, if you cant see the tactics of the AI then you are playing a different game. The AI will run for help, surround you, yell abuse at you, run away if you slaughter too many of them and generally kill you far too often.

Cant wait to get the full game.....need money first thou

Steg

Th3M1ghtyD8, you sound incredibly difficult to please, the point i was trying to make is the demo does not show the game off how it should, the demo is supposed to appeal to a broad audience to attract more people to the game, please play the full game before you express opinion on it, the demo has a LOT of things missing from that same mission in the full version, the demo for example doesnt have any of the high res textures to cut down on filesize, nor does the setpieces which happen in the full version occure, i suspect theyve also took out some of the bot AI in the demo too, the full game has 7 levels of difficulty i think, if you want a challenge try it on the highest setting :D

Steg, i play it at 1024, i could put the graphics higher, but it looks bloody marvelous as it is, and i favour frame rate over graphics anyway, cant stand playing anything under 40fps. I didnt play the 2nd demo, saying that tho, i prolly have played it in the full version as the first demo was in the full version too.

going completely off topic, how the hell do you fly those paragliders? it seems they just plumet and crash into the ground, if you go down to get airspeed and pull up its airspeed drops instantly and you stall and fall :confused: maybe im just a piss poor paraglider :p

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
I have a similar system and the demo ran fine, but I wasn't too impressed with it. It just looked like Generic FPS #327 to me, the outdoor texturing was reasonable, but I don't think the graphics are really any better than any other game with have at the minute. As for the physics, the question is why do we need them, even half life 2s physics look like they are scriptted and are of limited use. And the AI didn't seem to do anything spectacular like you described, they just sat there waiting to be shot and ran at me in a straight line.

The demo was a pretty bad choice. The part of the game was the worst hands down and trust me if you play through the game you will be very impressed, and no game has graphics like Far Cry does right now. Nor physics. The game lets you do many many things that people are excited about HL2 for. I've done things like pushed a box in front of a mutant primate in Far Cry and almost knocked it over (while it was being shot at by a regular soldier).

This is one game you can't make an opinion about until you play the full version. I hated the demo, but now that I have the full version I am very VERY impressed.

yer, gotta agree with that, that particular mission was the worst, no thought gone into it at all, the old - destroy-sattelite-dish-with-explosives-then-run-off mission

Originally posted by acidosmosis
This is one game you can't make an opinion about until you play the full version. I hated the demo, but now that I have the full version I am very VERY impressed.

I'm going round a mates tomorrow so I will get to see the full game then. I didn't know that the texture sets etc. were radically different otherwise I probably wouldn't have made such broad assumptions. I'm guessing the demos were from a long way before the final release and so the AI etc wasn't fully completed. I do like the water effects though and if far cry has a decent plot to it then i'll probably buy it anyway.

Athlon 3000+
ATI 9800XT
1 Gig Dual Channel ram
SB Audigy

All newest drivers, No AA, AF

With all settings the highest it's completely unplayable... a veritable slide show (When set at the very highest settings the game crashes). Medium is ok till I run into an enemy camp or something.....then it's a slide show.

The demo ran great at the highest settings so I don't know why the final ver doesn't.

Patch 1.1 didn't change anything like I was hoping it would. So I guess I'll wait till yet another patch comes out.

Originally posted by Brewskie
The demo ran great at the highest settings so I don't know why the final ver doesn't.

Originally posted by (=DoM=)
the demo has a LOT of things missing from that same mission in the full version, the demo for example doesnt have any of the high res textures to cut down on filesize.

Anyway, I'm getting the full version soon, and I truly can't wait. It sounds so incredibly awesome, the graphics look good, the gameplay sounds awesome like everyone's said...I definitely can't wait now.

Got the full game the day I got back from St. Thomas, USVI.
At 1024x768 on a slightly OC'd 5900 with 56.64 drivers, I have these settings

Particle Count = High
Special Effects Quality = High
Environment Quality = Very High
Shadow Quality = Very High
Water Quality = Ultra High
Lighting Quality = Very High
Texture Quality = Very High
Trilinear Filter Quality

AF = 1
AA = 2x

Playing very well so far, looks amazing.
Don't overclock your memory too much, very sensitive, the game will glitch out mad.

Happy hunting ;-)

Schiz

got the game last week and i think it's the best game out right now. the graphics are great. 1024x768 resolution running everything at very high right now just to see if my comp could handle it, but it gets really choppy sometimes, so i'm still trying to find the right combination of graphics/fps. i agree that the singleplayer portion is one of the best i've experienced. the view distance is amazing and it makes sniping more realistic which is my favorite thing to do. haven't finished the game yet but i'm on the "boat" level. overall great game!

Originally posted by Brewskie
Medium is ok till I run into an enemy camp or something.....then it's a slide show.

I have everything set for "High" and some settings and one or two at "Highest". Run's pretty good for me. Computer spec's are below. Must be something else. Change your video card's DirectX settings to medium and see if that makes a difference.

Sneaking up on bots is so difficult, they always turn around right before you are about to knife them in the kidneys - Damn Them!

We are living in great days for PC Gaming folks, look at what we have install for us this year (possibly);

Far Cry's time in the spotlight will prolly be short lived coz next month we have;

Half Life 2 - HL2's time in the spotlight will go on for a couple of months but then we got;

Doom 3 - Doom 3 may well stay in the top spot for many months only 1 game i think will dislodge it from its podium;

Quake 4 - Id software been keeping quiet about this beauty, uses same engine as Doom 3, could possibly overthrow D3, what other games are coming out in the near future whih will be MAJOR releases??

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (h00t \o/) - ownage game

I need some new hardware!

I have a 1800+ with a ati 9700 pro. Game plays fairly well with all settings on high if I am just walking around but as soon as the fighting starts its a stuttering hell. I tried setting the graphics all on medium but it really takes away from the games immersion. When you set the graphics down to medium all the foliage on the ground disappears and at the point in my opinion the game looks no better then any other game out today. I surely did enjoy laying in the grass in the prone position and popping up and knifing the sentry patrolling the hill on the left in the research demo. Guess now is as good as time as ever to upgrade. I was already planning on upgrading for half-life 2 guess I will just do it a little bit sooner. Anyone want to slide a man a loan for a Athlon FX-53? HA HA

I have my settings as follows:

ATI Control Panel DirectX Quality: Blended

Far Cry Settings:
Res: 1024x768
AA - High
AF - 1
Texture Quality - High
Filter Quality - High
Particles - Medium
Effects - Medium
Environment - High
Shadow - Medium
Lighting - Medium

Frames Per Second (while standing still) - around 85FPS
Frames Per Second (while moving) - around 40-45 FPS

PC Spec's are listed below

tbh cogenmaster, i dont think HL2 will be as demanding as Far Cry, from what ive seen of HL2 the graphics arent any better than Far Cry's, but your right, now is a good time to upgrade, i'll be upgrading soon, wont be getting one of them Athlon 64 FX-51/53's coz their stopping making them soon coz theyre not selling (i assume) im gonna get a Socket 754 mobo and an Athlon 64 3400+ OEM, should hopefuly only cost £350 (only, lol) and the performance gain will be conciderable even with no 64-bit O/S or 64-bit version of the game, put in terms of the simple - |----| ;

My CPU (Athlon XP 2800+ Barton)

|---------------------------|

Athlon 64 3400+

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

:D lol

After 10 years playing PC games (including nearly every FPS) I can honestly say that FarCry is the best gaming experience I have had to date. It is probably the only game that I will play through again due to the way you can tackle levels in differing ways. Stunning graphics and amazingly fluid gameplay..... gets my vote :) Bet Valve are a tad nervous at the moment!

Damn this game is awesome. Anyone who liked Half Life and who didnnt will love this game. It plays fine on my comp at 1024x768 at medium settings.

XP1600+ 1.4GHz@ 1.533GHZ
GF3 ti500 (240/500) @ (267/570)
ABIT KD7 (KT400)
Seagate 80gig
512 DDR PC2100

Far Cry Tweaking

I would advise people when running Far Cry to do a bit of PC resource tweaking f they are comfortable with it.
It needs every bit of spare resource available.
Disable AA, you dont really need this because of the huge outdoor scenes, if enabled the card has to perform a huge amount of sampling.
Shadows set to medium or High.

I read peoples posts saying that they have huge slow downs and when you read their sig, some machines are top of the range.

I personally run the game at 1280x1024, with 8x AF. Everything on very high, water on ultra high. Full sound mixing and get about 25 to 80 frames per second!

Dont know whether people know this or not, but i disable alot of options in the msconfig file in the startup tab. 3/4 of the stuff in their doesnt need to be running in the background.

All ATI owners should install Catalyst 4.3's, they have a good shader boost.

To get the engine running at it's best you do need to do a bit of tweaking, when all said and done, this is the most technologically advanced engine to date.

The best advise i can give to people is make sure you have the latest drivers for everything, including your motherboard.

I didn't have any problems from the start with Far Cry. I've seen people talking about issues with slow performance in Battlefield Vietnam also and I don't have any problems with it either.

Athlon XP 2800+
1GB Crucial 3200 Mem
Connect 3D Ati 9800Pro 128mb
Audigy 2
Leadtek K7NCR18 Pro Mobo (Nforce 2)

I've played through 18 levels of the game (On the 19th "Dam") on the above set up with no noticable slowdown or frame drop at all.
Everything is set to Very High at 1024 x 768 with the water set to Ultra High. Low FSAA. Running on average at 45-50fps. Plenty fast enough.

And if anyone can help me through the Dam level I'd be obliged. Seriously hard. I mean seriously.

Best game I've played since Zelda on the SNES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back