Using Opera Browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Nic said,
You should try using Opera as its miles better than IE. Once you've tried it you won't go back :=).
I took Nic's advice and downloaded Opera again, and have been usinig it exclusively for about three weeks now. As time goes by, it has started to either crash to the desktop or freeze, and I have to use Task Manager to get out of it. This seems to be getting more frequent, maybe three or four times a day now. I've been using it and it's so much faster than IE and the mouse guestures will be hard to give up, if I go back to IE.

I'm wondering if some of the Opera files have been somehow corrupted and if it would do any good to uninstall and reinstall, or maybe there's some other problem.

Also, is it normal to go to some sites and some, not all, links on a site do not work. I can go to the same site with IE and everything's fine. Everything at this site works great.

The latter first...

Yes, it can happen... The problem is that not all the sites are using proper html/whichever html based language, but rather using "special" MS code... Thus it won't allways work like it should...
I had a problem with ATI's hp a while ago, but that's been fixed...

If you find a site which has the problem, why not send them an email telling them about the problem, or send one to Opera... Most likely the page will be updated, and/or support added to the next version...

Over to your first problem... Which version of Opera are you using? And are there any special sites/ad's that triggers it?

I've had a similar problem with some sites when not using IE (had the problem with both Opera and Netscape)... An email to the site fixed it...

But a re-install can't hurt...

Just remember to make a little backup of your bookmarks, and windows settings (and any other changes you've made to Opera) so you can get it back without any trouble...

I've got the newest version, 7.11. As far as what sites it crashes on, I can't really say it's a particular one. It happens when I click a link, it just freezes and I have to use Task Manager to quit.

I'll do what you said, thanks Mr. G.

IMO yes it is a good browser. Though, it does lack some capabilities that IE can do, such as scripts, a big fall for it. Netscape is better, sadly.

It just crashed when loading TechSpot. I downloaded and reinstalled it, I guess I'll see what happens now, hopefully it's better.

Not sure why you're having all these issues Olefarte, as I have very little bother at all. I do sometimes get lock ups, but its very rare.

Try going through your File|Preferences settings and sellecting different settings.

Also be sure to download and install the version that comes with Java.

Be sure to set Opera to identify itself as Opera. That'll help with getting web pages displayed properly.

Also set it to 'Open requested pop-ups only' and that'll stop you getting dozens of pop-ups on some websites, but will still allow you to click any link that opens a pop-up.

If you are still having bother, then I can send you a copy of my settings, which work just fine. I also set Opera as my default browser, though sometimes I have to manually switch to IE just to view Microsoft's website properly, as they deliberately send bad pages to Opera.

Okay Nic, I set everything as you suggested, although I thought Opera should be set to identify itself as IE to make it work better. I already just reinstalled Opera and Java, but I have a newer version of Java, so I cancelled the Java reinstall.

After making the changes you suggested, I went back to TechSpot, my homepage by the way, and it crashed. It's getting very frustrating. That's the fifth time today and the second since I reinstalled. Send me your settings and I'll try that.

Also be sure to download and install the version that comes with Java.

Yeah, I downloaded that one. I loved it until I had to switch to IE every darn time sites used scripts.

IE's the best... hehe. We just need to get it skinned.

Install the version of Java that came with Opera, as that's the one it uses. I am having no probs viewing techspot with Opera, so something is amiss with your system, possibly the Java.

Ok, here. Go to alienware and try to design your own computer. See what happens, you can't continue.

Don't ask me, I was there for fun, lol. ;)

Originally posted by XtR-X
Ok, here. Go to alienware and try to design your own computer. See what happens, you can't continue.

Don't ask me, I was there for fun, lol. ;)
That website is using Microsoft ASP.NET, and you're right, the 'Continue' button doesn't work (everything else does).

That's Microsoft for you, but when that happens all you need do is switch to IE, then switch back to Opera when you're done. It happens occassionally (mainly on ASP.NET based websites), but it doesn't stop me from using Opera as my main browser.

Concur. If I run into a problem that Opera can't handle, I use IE to get past it, then go back with the newest address.

switch to IE, then switch back to Opera when you're done

You see, I do the 'switch to IE' part, but then I don't like to do the 'switch back to Opera when you're done' part.

If you used a good browser, you wouldn't need to do this. Even if it's Microsoft technology, it should still be incorporated into the browser.

In case you haven't heard, Microsoft have deliberately been trying to sabotage Opera by introducing errors in web pages so that Opera can't display them properly (on Microsoft's own website, and ASP is Microsoft technology, so MS won't want it to work with any browser other than IE if they can help it). Maybe it will all be fixed one day. In the meantime, there are a lot of things I don't like about IE, which is why I use Opera whenever I can. If you don't like Opera, then don't use it. Simple as that.

Yeah I know, simple as that. And I do give my statements after trying Opera for about 2 weeks.

XtR-X wrote;
You see, I do the 'switch to IE' part, but then I don't like to do the 'switch back to Opera when you're done' part.
I do the same thing, but I don't mind a bit switching back to Opera, it just has so many features that I like and the plain truth is, it's faster loading pages. I do wish they would get the incompatabilities worked out.

I'm still having a problem with it crashing to the desktop though. Just downloaded again today, including Java, and reinstalled. Hasn't crashed since, but this is the third or fouth time I've done this and it still kept crashing four or five times a day. At any rate, I'll keep useing it.

It may just be having problems with that new Java you're running, Ole Farte. Sometimes you have to use a version that was around when they made a browser. You should have both versions on your HD now and I bet Opera will use the one it likes. Hopefully it won't crash anymore.

I've gotten very fond of the new Mozilla Firebird browser in the past few days that I've used it. It's getting more functional and is stable. I'm using a nightly build. I used regular Mozilla for the last year or so. Versions 1.2.1 and 1.4 were the best. Like most people that prefer non IE browsing I only use IE "when I have to".

Tarkus, after reading your post I got to looking at Java on my computer and noticed that even though I reinstalled Opera and it's version of Java several times, I still only had the newer version on my computer. I guess the Opera version did not install because I had a newer version, even though it never told me that when installing. I never even thought about that. Stupid or dumb I guess. At any rate, I uninstalled the newer version and reinstalled Opera again. Guess I'll see what happens now.

I like Opera a lot, I think I'll keep using it for now, but might give Mozilla a try.

To Nic, Tarkus and anyone I missed, your reasoning on the Java version, must be correct. Since I uninstalled the newer version and am now using the version that came with Opera, I haven't had a single crash. Thanks everyone for the help. By the way, I downloaded the new Beta version 7.2, and don't see much, if any difference than 7.11. Still works fine.

Tarkus, I've got Firebird .6 installed and giving it a try, but so far, I think I like Opera better, if for nothing else than the mouse gestures. They are great and hard not to have when using another browser.

Mozilla (firebird version) is simple, actually quite too simple. Err I'd have to pick Opera over Mozilla, but I pick IE over Opera still.

Originally posted by olefarte
Tarkus, I've got Firebird .6 installed and giving it a try, but so far, I think I like Opera better, if for nothing else than the mouse gestures. They are great and hard not to have when using another browser.
You need to explore Opera's features a little more. There are a ton of very good, unique features that make browsing much more fun.

Click on the hotlist icon and take a look at what's available. You can create secure notes for your credit cards (handy for online purchases), you can list all the links on any page (handy when downloading multiple files from a page), the history tab has a search function that interactively lists any visited pages matching your search text, there is an email/contacts tab, and opera can pause and resume downloads (no need for a download manager).

You can add buttons to the personal bar for your favourite websites (e.g. techspot) so that all your regular websites are never more than a click away.

There is also a handy magic wand password manager to store your website login details. You can selectively block pop-ups, and use any of Opera's search engines to find info.

Really, I can't imagine ever wanting to switch back to Internet Explorer after becoming used to all of Opera's features.

i downloaded opera 7 when it was announced on the site. the paste ang o option is just one of the features i liked, as well as being able to close multiple windows at once and placing favorites on the title bar.

however, it crashed all the time and got worse the longer i used it, after reinstalls too. shame, but im now im back on ie6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back