I have DirectX but it doesn't have me

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthsakurachan

First, I apologize if this is the wrong area to be posting this, but I checked some other posts first, and this seemed the best place to start.

On with the problem. I have DirectX installed on my PC, running Windows XP Home. According to my computer, it is version 9.0, and according to Microsoft, I should be allowed to run games that require all previous versions as well. This is not the case.
This morning I installed a new game. It requires version 8.0. And it reminds me of this fact every time I try to start the game with an error message.
I know I have DirectX v9.0. I even downloaded some newer updates (straight from Microsoft) in the hopes that it would let me play my game. Obviously, it didn't work.

There are other games on my computer that have similar requirements and they work just fine. Can anyone help me find/fix this problem?

Thank you
~

I should be allowed to run games that require all previous versions as well. This is not the case
I've seen that before as well.
On installing an older game, receiving you need DirectX8 (or even older) to install the game.

If the game also has DirectX8 included in the install, usually it's just a matter of selecting install 8 now (which takes about 1 second, seeming DirectX9 is already installed !) and then the game runs.

There may be an updated version to your game too, which allows DirectX9 to work properly. So what is the game anyway?

I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about. I'll have to look to see if there is a v8 install included... Thanks for the advice.

The game is Half-Life :D

Edit: I copied the game from the disc to my hard drive, but I don't see a folder with an install for v8. If I install it from the Microsoft website, will that have the same effect?

If you have DirectX 9.0c, everything should work.
Your problem is likely elsewhere.

First, you should consider doing an uninstall of DirectX, then do a cold boot, and reinstall it.

To uninstall DirectX 9

The best way to get rid of DirectX is to either use System Restore to roll back to a time when you didn't have it installed. There are vendors selling uninstallers, but they are generally lousy.

The best way to get remove DirectX isn't great, but that is a manual removal.

Open the Registry Editor by Start -> Run -> RegEdit.
Next, move to this registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX

Delete the DirectX folder then get out of RegEdit
Reboot.
During the system reboot, Windows will reinstall the DirectX 8.1 that came with Windows
Affirm that DirectX 8.1 is installed. by running the dxdiag command at Start ->Run->DxDiag. This command will open a DirectX diagnostic utility.
This utility will give you the current version of the DirectX that is now installd, along with a huge amount of other information.

This now gives you the opportunity to reinstall
DirectX 9.0c

A key problem of DirectX 9 is that it does not offer the uninstall option.

You can, however, reinstall it after performing a clean boot of your system or as described, your current DirecteX 9 by this registry edit.

To prevent these problems from occurring in the first place, we recommend that you perform regular PC maintenance with the help of anti-virus, registry cleaner, and hard disk maintenance utilities. These utilities enable you to keep your system free of unwanted files and considerably improve your computing experience.

Reinstall DirectX 9
Performa a clean boot of Windows XP.
Now, Start-> Run-> MSconfig command which opens the System Configuration Utility.
Go to the Selective Startup check box to clear all choices under it.

On the Services tab, choose Hide All Microsoft Services check box, then select Disable All
Click OK to accept the changes
Exit System Configuration Utility.

Restart a clean boot.
During a clean boot, you should find taht only essential WXP services are started.
The other startup programs are not started.

You can now go to your gaming CD has the DirectX installer on it.
or go to the latest version of DirectX from the Microsoft Download Center to install DirectX 9.0c. I usually download the redistributable version so I have it hand for future installs and fixes.

Good luck.
Please let us know what happens.

No, not if you then reinstall it.
DirectX 8.1 will do fine for most applications. Games and other software that need 9.0c will have it available on the install CD.

I decided to go read a whole lot of old game forums.
And it seems that one of these Half-Life versions (older version) will not work with certain video cards on DirectX9.
Users complained that DirecX8 worked though

All users were directed to Valve (game homepage) that this was confirmed.
This where the manufactures make their money.

Howmany new games will only work on Vista will be the next issue

@raybay

I took your advice and uninstalled DirectX, and went through all the directions for rebooting and such. Unfortunately, I can't get my computer to reinstall it. Well, it is registered, but for some reason it doesn't have a value. My system keeps reading it as an older version, but it won't let me do anything to it. Is there another way?

For the moment, it seems that Microsoft has pulled all of their DirectX downloads, because I keep getting redirected.

Install Direct X

darthsakurachan said:
@raybay

I took your advice and uninstalled DirectX, and went through all the directions for rebooting and such. Unfortunately, I can't get my computer to reinstall it. Well, it is registered, but for some reason it doesn't have a value. My system keeps reading it as an older version, but it won't let me do anything to it. Is there another way?

For the moment, it seems that Microsoft has pulled all of their DirectX downloads, because I keep getting redirected.
Did you name your OS ? What is it.?
You need the latest.Games that might come with 6 7 or 8 and should not be installled.
It means or later.You must get DX 9 back (NOW) for many video and sound functions.
Heres the latest full version of DX9 .Install this.Save to desktop and Close your browser first.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html
Blame the game and look for a game patch.

That method has always worked without a hitch for us in our repair shop... every time.

But it may be a registry issue where something is not being removed.

I suggest you use the simple, reliable, and free RegClean by Juoni Viourno which is found at www.majorgeeks.com to clean up anything of the DirectX 9.0 on your system.

I suspect that there is something else at play here.

I would also try installing Windows XP in repair mode to fix it back as DirectX 8.1 after you remove the DirectX 9.0 That should work if the old stuff is removed.

haha... I think the problem is with the user, not the method. And on a similar note, I don't know what the OS name is. Mostly because I'm not sure what an OS is.
I probably shouldn't be fixing these kinds of problems on my own. But it's a little late for that. Anyways, thank you for the new link. Microsoft was redirecting me around the downloads for some reason.
I'm sure the problem stems mainly from the fact that my computer hates me. It likes to make me suffer... :D but I'll try the RegClean, and I'll use the new link to install it again. Hopefully it will work this time

This is important,
OS means Operating System
eg: Windows XP W95 etc.in my replys.
There are others Alternative OS's Forum ,
besides Windows so find out what your asking about.
This could cause you many problems with drivers and other installs.

Oh, alright. I think I mentioned, I have Windows XP Home Edition.
The RegClean program found something like 1200 problems on my PC. I'm fairly sure that's a bad thing. They haven't all been fixed yet, so I'm still not sure if anything works or not.

Wrong ways to go

Drastic steps,just for a game.:confused:
I don't think RegClean is necessary.It just helps to give you more hard drive
space,but isn't that big anyway.
If you do,be sure to Export what you have now first.
One more time "Blame the game" if thats your only computer problem.
Yes you did say XP.Get your DX9 in order.
XP probably installed Direct X 9.You should leave it as it comes.
I took your advice and uninstalled DirectX,that was bad advice.
I'm surprised you could.Go to run menu and trype "regedit"
Do all video and audio tests.Post a test report.

Do you mean 'regedit' or 'dxdiag'? I think you mean the second, but only because there are video and audio tests there. The only thing missing is DirectX. I do still have Direct3D, DirectDraw, and some others... All the tests came back without problems, even though it is still not installed. The only thing to note was a message that said 'The file gcdef.dll is an old version, which could cause problems.'

If there is a way to test in 'regedit', I don't know it yet...

Do I need to uninstall the other pieces of DirectX (like the 3D and Draw) for it to reinstall and work properly again?

Yes dxdiag

darthsakurachan said:
Do you mean 'regedit' or 'dxdiag'? I think you mean the second, but only because there are video and audio tests there. The only thing missing is DirectX. I do still have Direct3D, DirectDraw, and some others... All the tests came back without problems, even though it is still not installed. The only thing to note was a message that said 'The file gcdef.dll is an old version, which could cause problems.'

If there is a way to test in 'regedit', I don't know it yet...

Do I need to uninstall the other pieces of DirectX (like the 3D and Draw) for it to reinstall and work properly again?

YOU DO NOT UNINSTALL ALL OR PART OF Dirext X.
If you see it then it's installed.dxdiag is it's system name.Should be obvious.
It's part of Windows Control Panel and can't be removed.
Just do my update link and go from there to test your audio and video.
[ Don't blame the damn game ] OK ?
quote : 'The file gcdef.dll is an old version,
( Direct X )Dxdiag has done it's job. ** * Is this file in your problem game folder.?
Slow down before you need to reinstall XP.:rolleyes:

NO NO
You'll screw you Video Card if you keep this up.
:blackeye:

I realize now I wasn't really clear. I realize that it is there to some degree. The problem now is that even after using the update link you gave, the dxdiag says:
DirectX Version: Not found

Also, I don't know where the old file is, but I don't see it in any of the game's files.
The only thing I have done so far is delete the old DirectX file off my computer. Other than that, everything is the same.

Does DirectX come on a disc on its own? I would try it from another game, but I'm not sure which game requires which version, and this is already taking longer than I thought it would.

Just click on it, save to Desktop
Then double click on the saved reg file and select merge.

But, if you still have issues, you may be better to click Start->Run-> sfc /scannow
You will need your Windows CD during the scan

Tyr this link

darthsakurachan said:
I realize now I wasn't really clear. I realize that it is there to some degree. The problem now is that even after using the update link you gave, the dxdiag says:
DirectX Version: Not found

Also, I don't know where the old file is, but I don't see it in any of the game's files.
The only thing I have done so far is delete the old DirectX file off my computer. Other than that, everything is the same.

Does DirectX come on a disc on its own? I would try it from another game, but I'm not sure which game requires which version, and this is already taking longer than I thought it would.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

Dang You too

My download.;)
==========
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/28/2008, 01:32:16
Machine name: HOME-2916653F01
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5K-VM
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/07/07 20:42:24 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 402MB used, 4563MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

Your download.,
============:haha:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/28/2008, 01:38:07
Machine name: HOME-2916653F01
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5K-VM
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/07/07 20:42:24 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 413MB used, 4552MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

Status