Vista 64 on new Computer - BSOD and random crash/freeze of hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinFrom

Hello,

i have just put together a new computer, and installed Windows Vista Ultimate X64.
But of some reason I keep getting the BSOD, and i dont know how to find out what is causing the problem (minidumps is at the bottom)

My new computer consists of the following:
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
- Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
- CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 2
- PSU: Corsair HX520
- Graphiccard: Asus EN9600GT
- Memory: OCZ Reaper PC8500 2x2 GB
- Harddrive: 2x 500 GB Seagate 7200.11

My 2 harddrives is set up in a Raid 1 (mirroring), with the onboard ICH10R Raid controller.
I have downloaded the latest drivers from Asus, Intel and Nvidia, and updated my Bios.

I havent changed anything in the bios except for disabling the Express Gate option and choosen Raid.

I have 4x 120 mm fans in my Antec P180 Case, soo heat shouldnt be a problem (bios also shows the cpu and motherboard running at very low temperature).

It all started when installing a program, suddenly the system froze and i couldnt do anything else than a hard boot.

The Raid array was broken and it wouldnt start Vista (kept freezing at startup). I tried fixing it but first after i disconnected the "good" hd it asked me if i wanted to fix the broken hd (in the post screen raid managment). I said yes but it couldnt bootup without the other hd as it was currently brooken.
I connected the good hd but it said it wasnt bootable.
I did a Vista Repair and even though it said that it didnt fix any problems i was now able to boot and startup Vista.
When Vista started it began rebuilding the Raid Array, and it seems that there were no more problems with the harddrives.

I uninstalled the program, and cleared the temp directory and installed it again without any problems.

A little later i installed another program and the same problem occured. The system froze (but still able to move the mouse around, harddrives would just not respond) and i did a hard boot, this time Vista started without problems and it began rebuilding my Raid Array.

I tried installing the newest chipset drivers and intel matrix storage manager, and i have also uninstalled some energy saving program from Asus called Six Engine.
I havent had problems with the system freezing for a while, but if i right click one of the harddrives in the raid manager application (Intel Matrix Storage Manager) crashes (but Vista keeps running).

Then i began experincing the BSOD, and i cant figure out what is causing it.
It happens randomly it seems.
Last time it happened i was surfering a homepage with IE7 and the time before that i was doing nothing (came home from shopping and it had crashed).

Now i have just experienced another freeze of the hds, and this time the same hd as last time have went down and have not been repaired. I havent tried disconnecting the good one to see if i can make it fix the "bad" one, as the good one is still bootable and i wanted to try and see if it maybe was the bad hd that was causing the problems.

After the last hd crash it began complaining about a NDIS.sys driver at Vista startup and couldnt startup Vista.
I choose "Last know good Configuration" from the "post screen bootup sequence" (Cant remember the right name - but before loading Vista), and it all loaded up just fine without any problems.
I found out that the NDIS.sys driver has something to do with the network / lan (i using one of the onboard lans on the motherboard).
But havent had a problem with that before or after.

I have now been happy for abot a whole day, and thought "YES" it is fixed.
But sadly - NO.

It just happend again. Another BSOD.
I simply have no more ideas of how to find out what is causing the problems, and i have to admit i dont have the experience/expertice needed to read the minidumps.
Therefor i now ask you out there if any of you can help me finding out what the problem is, etc. by looking at my minidumps which i have uploaded.

I have been searching google for ages but i dont have any more ideas of what to search for.

I probably also have to mention that sometimes background services or application just crashes.
The SuperFetch background service have crashed several times (as far as i know it is a Vista Memory Management Service).

I have gotten BSOD errors about IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Page_fault_in_non_paged_area, and Memory_Management as far as i can remember.

I have all the crash reports which is being stored in the "Problem Reports and solutions", if that can be of any help and isnt already in the minidumps.

I have installed Debugging Tools for Windows (X64), to be able to read the Dump file (with WinDbg) - i have both minidumps and a memory.dmp
But i dont know how to read / understand what the file is telling me except i can see that it is writting something about different files.

I have tried running Windows Vistas own Memory Diagnostic tool, and got no errors.
I have also tried MemTest which also passed without problems.
I also switched the memory around to different slots to see if that would help.

When it have crashed and given me the BSOD, it sometimes (not everytime) ask me to either setup bios again or load default settings.

I guess it could be anything from a brooken driver/s to, graphiccard, memory, lan, raid controller/motherboard, memory settings in bios or similar.

But i really have no clue anymore.

Can anyone out there help me finding out what is causing the problem ?

What should i do ? What information will you need to get a clue ?

I have zipped and uploaded all the minidumps here:
konkurrencejagt.dk/Minidumps.zip

(sorry cant include it as a link - i havent got enough posts)

wow, that was a really nice post...very good for first. It mirrors that of the 2008 best post of the year, don't have a link though.

I can see that asus motherboard and that RAM is not going to go well together, i see you have some other issues too, but i didn't really read your amazing post.
Funny thing, there is another thread that was posted by a person with the same issue.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=661249#post661249

this is what we figureed out (though his graphics card is being stupid so its not fixed yet):

k.. back at work... I googled "Striker 2 Extreme" + "CPU INIT" ..... this sounds a little bit beyond me.... it sounds as though the voltage is too high for the memory ? And I am supposed to update my bios.....

I have LIMITED experience working with my system bios... Not only do I not know how to change voltages and what not...... but i cant get a display on my computer, until I completely RESET the CMOS..... which I tried to do at lunch, but it didn't work.

Can any1 help me out a bit here? I am running a little low on my knowledge base, maybe some1 can help explain it to me a bit better so i understand ?

Thanks in advance guys... this has been insane from start till now... but i feel so CLOSE!

Using the BOIS should be fairly easy, its like my computer with a blue back ground and to mouse. All you do is use the keyboard arrows to navigate and press enter or escape in order to go into "folders" or back out of "folders". Go ahead, just give it a go. If you screw something up, there is the reset button and also you can exit withought saving. The titles are self explanitory, and the memory voltage options are usually in the first few options (never used an ASUS board before though) it should be at 1.75v for this ram WHICH IS A VERY "tempermental" set of rams sticks, they do need manual setup, im suprised your computer even worked before.

the OCZ reaper 1333 (10666) 2x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227293

As for updating the bois, you should have come with a CD for your mobo, and usually you can update the Bios from their utilities. But if not, you can just go to their site and search for your model number.

...... if you are having better luck than me..... update your bios to the latest revision..... I believe you can find it here... http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...del=Striker+II+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

if you dont want the LATEST bios, just make sure you get 0901 or higher(i think thats right) for support with this ram. Also.... in your bios.... change all the voltages off "auot" and manually set them. this is what I have read so far on the issue.... but it is more specific to the striker2 extreme....(asus mobo) I hope things go well for you..... when you are frustrated, go read my thread.... you might cry for me out of sympathy =/

Anyway, best of luck to you... I will update here for you as well if i find any more info.

Hello,

thanks for the replies.

I already have the latest bios (1306).

My memory is these newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289
The specifications write 2.1 Volt, not 1.75 V. Am i wrong ?

I have looked at the other thread.
It doesnt seem to be the same problem as mine.

I get BSOD's and also when it have froozen it have always been because of the "bad" hd.
When the hds freezes i am still able to "use" the computer the hds just wont respond.

I have changed the volt to 2.1 and set it up with 5-5-5-18 timings.
I havent touched Frequency (set to auto) as it seems to be able to detect it is pc8500 (i would assume it knows it is 1066 mhz).

But if it was because of to low voltage wouldnt it be most likely that it would "crash" when under heavy "load" ?

It have crashed a couple of times when shutting down Vista.

But have also crashed at Idle (dont know if it crashed when going into "Sleep" as i was away for more than 1 hour and it goes into sleep after 1 hour).

Is there anyone in here which is able to understand what the minidumps are "saying" ?

Its not that, its that the ASUS boards don't have as good compatability as others might, the same with the ram, it generally is more "fussy".

I get BSOD's and also when it have froozen it have always been because of the "bad" hd.
When the hds freezes i am still able to "use" the computer the hds just wont respond.

"bad" hd. as in bad hard drive? "use" the computer during a freeze?

hellokitty: Yes, the bad harddrive which have crashed. When the harddrives have freezed and wouldnt respond there have always been something wrong with the "bad" harddrive afterwards.
It is no longer connected and i havent experienced the problem when it have not been connected.
I am almost sure that the "bad" harddrive is the reason for the freezes.

I was able to move the mouse around, open the start menu, write in open Messenger windows and soo.
It was just the hds freezing, soo if i tried to do anything that would need the harddrives to deliver data it would just hang.

maybe the cable is loose? Ive never heard of a hdd behave like that. If it freezes, open up your case and see if its still spining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back