Random freeze or total crash on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is, it cannot hurt. :)

ps: you might want to check the Asus Q fan settings and make sure it is either OFF (makes cpu fan run FAST) or if ON that the target temp is the lowest available.

would the q fan settings affect the gpu fan? I thought the q fan settings only affect either case fans, or additional fans inside the case that I connected....!? Right now, last I checked the only fan that even displays on my Q fan settings is the CPU fan.

Hmmm..... madness.... I would be about the happiest guy in the world if resetting my CMOS fixes this..... I can't wait for lunch!

Just make sure that when you clear the CMOS that you press the power button for about 5-10 seconds while the system is powered down.

Just make sure that when you clear the CMOS that you press the power button for about 5-10 seconds while the system is powered down.

why? i honestly have no clue why... but i know i DO have a cmos rest button (external) on my mobo.

Because the motherboard can store a small amount of power within itself. Just make sure your power plug is, well, "unplugged" from your system and push that button for 10 seconds. When I was having issues EPoX tech specifically said to do this after removing the CMOS to clear it.

The faster you take heat away from the cpu and inside of the case, the cooler EVERYTHING is.

The Asus mobo balance between excess noise and cpu cooling is achieved through using QFan properly set up and possibly a quiet (physically) fan on the heatsink.

so I tried clearing the CMOS... and decided while i was at it.. I may as well install the LCD Poster, that I have been too lazy to install.

I got a "CPU INIT" error on the poster.

On my way back to work... havent had a chance to google it yet.... but there may be light on the horizon!?

ok.. back at work... I googled "Striker 2 Extreme" + "CPU INIT" ..... this sounds a little bit beyond me.... it sounds as though the voltage is too high for the memory ? And I am supposed to update my bios.....

I have LIMITED experience working with my system bios... Not only do I not know how to change voltages and what not...... but i cant get a display on my computer, until I completely RESET the CMOS..... which I tried to do at lunch, but it didn't work.

Can any1 help me out a bit here? I am running a little low on my knowledge base, maybe some1 can help explain it to me a bit better so i understand ?

Thanks in advance guys... this has been insane from start till now... but i feel so CLOSE!

its exciting isnt it ^^.

you WILL have to have the monitor working for this.

Using the BOIS should be fairly easy, its like my computer with a blue back ground and to mouse. All you do is use the keyboard arrows to navigate and press enter or escape in order to go into "folders" or back out of "folders". Go ahead, just give it a go. If you screw something up, there is the reset button and also you can exit withought saving. The titles are self explanitory, and the memory voltage options are usually in the first few options (never used an ASUS board before though) it should be at 1.75v for this ram WHICH IS A VERY "tempermental" set of rams sticks, they do need manual setup, im suprised your computer even worked before.

the OCZ reaper 1333 (10666) 2x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227293

As for updating the bois, you should have come with a CD for your mobo, and usually you can update the Bios from their utilities. But if not, you can just go to their site and search for your model number.

Check if there is an upgraded BIOS as well,
look and see what the upate contains and see if it applies to your problem before upgrading

Your problem sounds like heat or incompatibility issues between the components. (like memory, graphics card, maybe added pci or pci-x soundcard and so on. )
Remove every added card, even the gfx card if you have an onboard vga, and try and run the computer for a few ours, does the problem still occure? If not , try adding parts back in one by one.. un till the problem comes back.

have you tried removing the CMOS battery and removing the power cord, leaving the system without power for a couple of minutes?

the gpu still wont turn on, and the "CPU INIT" error wont go away!

meaning... I cant update the bios... cus I cant see anything on my monitor.

the dell I have is AGP =/

Everything im reading says this is a memory/bios issue.

but i cant get the CMOS to clear... if i could, I could get in and flash my bios to the present version, that actually supports my ram correctly.....

i am beyond rdy to just buy a new mobo.....

Have you tried a new CMOS battery? That us just weird that you can't get anything on your monitor. This is probably the obvious, but did you check all cable connections?

maybe its your monitor? and why exactly do you not see anything? its not the card, you just got that replaced. But for future note, don't buy fussy ram.

Have you tried a new CMOS battery? That us just weird that you can't get anything on your monitor. This is probably the obvious, but did you check all cable connections?

i didnt try replacing the battery, but yes the connections are good.

maybe its your monitor? and why exactly do you not see anything? its not the card, you just got that replaced. But for future note, don't buy fussy ram.

The monitor works fine. I have been using it with my old POS dell... infact, both monitors work fine.

The monitors acknowledge that they are connected by changing from the factory screen saver, to the "hybernate" mode.

for sure it is not the card.

I have read about other people with the "CPU INIT" code.... everything lights up right, and the cpu fans/case fans come on, but nothing happens... just black screen(i assume theirs is also because the gpu isnt fully "turning on" like in my case.

The solutions I have read *IF* you can get the CMOS to clear... is to clear the CMOS, pray you get into your bios on next start-up, and flasdh the bios with the latest revision.....

If you cant do it, then every1 says to just RMA the board.

I really dont want to do an RMA with ASUS for the board, and I am also stubborn, and want to win!

Anyway... im going to pull the battery, and and all the cables and let it sit overnight. see what happens.
Ill let you all know in the morning!

manufacturers warranty, no... but my 30 return with newegg is :-( so i may have to deal with Asus directly.....

so..... I left the cmos battery out ALLLLLLL night.

Same CPU INIT on the LCD Poster.

I think it is time to talk to asus about a new board.

im still down.

Im gunna cry. I just want to game in visual bliss. instead im on this POS dell, that crashes every 20 minutes.

/sigh

anyway.... I will keep you guys updated as i continue to try... I want my puter working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back