Pressing E starts up My computer, F starts up search, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sil

Suddenly when I press e, my compuer opens up, press f, search starts up, d will minimize all the windows, r opens up Run, u - utility manager, L will log off.

I don't what I pressed to trigger these and the only way to stop it is to reboot (not log off). If there a setting I can disable so this doesn't happen again? Using XP Home, MS keyboard. Thx.

Sounds like the Windows key on your keyboard is stuck:

Microsoft Natural Keyboard keys
* Windows Logo: Start menu
* Windows Logo+R: Run dialog box
* Windows Logo+M: Minimize all
* SHIFT+Windows Logo+M: Undo minimize all
* Windows Logo+F1: Help
* Windows Logo+E: Windows Explorer
* Windows Logo+F: Find files or folders
* Windows Logo+D: Minimizes all open windows and displays the desktop
* CTRL+Windows Logo+F: Find computer
* CTRL+Windows Logo+TAB: Moves focus from Start, to the Quick Launch toolbar, to the system tray (use RIGHT ARROW or LEFT ARROW to move focus to items on the Quick Launch toolbar and the system tray)
* Windows Logo+TAB: Cycle through taskbar buttons
* Windows Logo+Break: System Properties dialog box
* Application key: Displays a shortcut menu for the selected item

The 'Windows Logo' refers to the key with Windows on it. Usually lower left, maybe also lower right on keyboard. See if you can 'unstick' it.

I press e, my compuer opens up,
*Windows Logo+E: Windows Explorer*

press f, search starts up,
*Windows Logo+F: Find files or folders*

d will minimize all the windows,
* Windows Logo+D: Minimizes all open windows and displays the desktop

r opens up Run, u - utility manager,
* Windows Logo+R: Run dialog box

L will log off.
This is the only one I don't find

Have a look here and try to reverse it:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77881-windows-hotkeys.html

Quote:
L will log off.
This is the only one I don't find
I don't know why they don't, I look up those keyboard shortcuts a while ago, and winL switch users, not quite logging off.

Yes I would say your computer thinks you are holding they windows key down, for whatever reason.

He is running XP and not vista, it may work anyway though, but I think fixing windows key consistently held down is a better solution.

What do you mean shutting down fixes it? Does the problem only happen if you accidentally tap the windows key? Does the key look stuck?

My mistake, it switched users not logged off (L).

The Windows key is disabled. I have it set to disabled from the keyboard settings (requires MS drivers to do this).

Right now if I press Windows Logo+E, my computer will NOT open. When I just press E right now, my computer will NOT open.

Shutting down? I just need to restart for it to stop.

Shutting down? I just need to restart for it to stop.
How does it start?

So they key does not look physically stuck.

I would go into the MS drivers and reenable it, see if that does anything at all, and use a different keyboard and see if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back