Geek Squad caught charging $580 for a loose IDE cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rage_3K_Moiz

FOX 12 tested a couple of local PC repair shops in Oregon and found a Geek Squad store that told them it would cost $580 to fix the "problem", a loose IDE cable on one of the HDDs, and also recommended buying a new PC, stating that the "broken" one had a virus.

Check out the full story here.

I have made very little money in my computer business because I refuse to cheat people who need their computers fixed. It is what it is. How can the technicians at Geek Squad that did this sleep at night?

Speaking of which, you could also buy an "ultra high quality" DVI cable for $120 at BestBuy or get a similar cable from Newegg for $15.

I thought that universal PnP, in combination with modular construction was supposed to make the computer repair process transcend "foolproof", and culminate in "***** proof". How could we know?

Speaking of which, you could also buy an "ultra high quality" DVI cable for $120 at BestBuy or get a similar cable from Newegg for $15.

I always hold out for $12.00 or less and maybe even a rebate. And don't forget free shipping.

Is there really a difference between say the $15 HDMI cable and the "Monster" Cables that cost a lot?

Is there really a difference between say the $15 HDMI cable and the "Monster" Cables that cost a lot?

I personally believe 99.999% oxygen-free 10-gauge gold plated performance stranded EM shielded magnetically aligned cables are nothing more than snake oil, espeically for your average person. Of course, I don't know about HDMI specifically, but considering they are digital... as long as the signal gets there.. you should be fine.

Here's an interesting one: Do coat hangers sound as good as monster cables.

Now wheres that reciept?.....

I personally believe 99.999% oxygen-free 10-gauge gold plated performance stranded EM shielded magnetically aligned cables are nothing more than snake oil, espeically for your average person. Of course, I don't know about HDMI specifically, but considering they are digital... as long as the signal gets there.. you should be fine.

Here's an interesting one: Do coat hangers sound as good as monster cables.

ROFLMAO! although i dont know why i am laughing, in the late 80's i was something of an audiophile, i invested some 15k into a Nakimichi system, with Altec Model 19 speakers. I bet I have $1000 in gold plated, oxygen free,shielded blah,blah,blah 'monster cables' out in the garage.......I guess I feel retroactively foolish :haha::eek:

It's like anything (car repair, etc.) - if you are ignorant, there will always be someone who is more than willing to take advantage of you

We haven't seen that price from these corporat tesms, but commonly their billings in Southern Arizona start at $151 from the invoices we have seen... Of course, they had to drive 17 miles for the Show Up. $39 for a SATA cable that costs them $3.95... $89 for a $11 modem... $99 for a $22 optical drive. it goes on and on..
This is embarrassing to the entire industry, and prevents people from getting anything repaired. They just move it to their garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back